What's new

DNScrypt dnscrypt installer for asuswrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ignore timestamp has been implemented in beta8, so it's nearly enough for all the stuffs we need. I am starting to work on it. I will be supporting ARMv7 router first as that's the only router I use. Also I'm gonna work on this on my free time, please don't ask for an ETA.

P.S. I checked the commits and the new ignore timestamp feature might even be more awesome than thought https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/issues/20
nice to see all those follow up..
thank for all the great work!

*** This is old news won't work anymore ***

*** BETA ANNOUNCEMENT ***
I have updated my script to support dnscrypt-proxy version 2. All changes are here https://github.com/thuantran/dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer/commits/dnscrypt-proxy-v2 from "Start to work on v2" commit.

Install dnscrypt-proxy version 2 (beta at the moment) with following command:
Code:
curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thuantran/dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer/dnscrypt-proxy-v2/installer && sh installer dnscrypt-proxy-v2 ; rm installer

Last edited:
I have updated my script to support dnscrypt-proxy version 2. All changes are here https://github.com/thuantran/dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer/commits/dnscrypt-proxy-v2 from "Start to work on v2" commit.
Anyway a few things notable here:
- No support for MIPS (RT-AC66U before B1) and ARMv8 (e.g. the RT-AC86U 88U...) devices at the moment. If you're someone with these router, please PM me.
- Swap support is added
- Support multiple DNS servers through single dnscrypt-proxy v2 process
- Small changes here and there but nothing major

I plan to add many more features but for now, as dnscrypt-proxy version 2 is still in beta, I will only do minimal and bug fixing changes until its stable release.

Install dnscrypt-proxy version 2 (beta9 at the moment) with following command:
Code:
curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thuantran/dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer/dnscrypt-proxy-v2/installer && sh installer dnscrypt-proxy-v2 ; rm installer
Nice work!! I'm one of your followers I'll be doing this later today.

- No support for MIPS (RT-AC66U before B1) and ARMv8 (e.g. the RT-AC86U 88U...) devices at the moment. If you're someone with these router, please PM me.
- Swap support is added

I plan to add many more features but for now, as dnscrypt-proxy version 2 is still in beta, I will only do minimal and bug fixing changes until its stable release.

Code:
Major change coming... removing csv... lol...

- Swap support is added

Code:
Tried this on my AC68u and it just keeps going back and asking previous steps, I thought I got to the end again and it went back to picking a DNS server, I rage quit at that point :(

I installed this beta and am wondering if any v2 servers are available in the US? My logs show success in reaching the servers I selected but none of them are v2. I don't see any v2 servers listed in the states. I chose 31 through 35.

Oh and it is working and I have no leaks.

Also I found this in the logs and when ever dnproxy runs it runs at 6hrs ahead of my routers local time.
Code:
Jan 25 16:23:39 Skynet: [Complete] 131795 IPs / 1996 Ranges Banned. 131795 New IPs / 1996 New Ranges Banned. 0 Inbound / 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [71s]
Jan 25 22:52:26 dnscrypt-proxy[650]: [cs-usnorth] OK (crypto v1) - rtt: 46ms
Jan 25 22:52:27 dnscrypt-proxy[650]: [cs-ussouth] OK (crypto v1) - rtt: 79ms
Jan 25 22:52:27 dnscrypt-proxy[650]: [cs-uswest] OK (crypto v1) - rtt: 68ms
Jan 25 22:52:27 dnscrypt-proxy[650]: [cs-uswest3] OK (crypto v1) - rtt: 59ms
Jan 25 22:52:27 dnscrypt-proxy[650]: [cs-uswest5] OK (crypto v1) - rtt: 77ms
Jan 25 22:52:27 dnscrypt-proxy[650]: [cs-usnorth] OK (crypto v1) - rtt: 46ms
Jan 25 22:52:27 dnscrypt-proxy[650]: [cs-ussouth] OK (crypto v1) - rtt: 76ms
Jan 25 22:52:27 dnscrypt-proxy[650]: [cs-uswest] OK (crypto v1) - rtt: 67ms
Jan 25 22:52:27 dnscrypt-proxy[650]: [cs-uswest3] OK (crypto v1) - rtt: 60ms
Jan 25 22:52:27 dnscrypt-proxy[650]: [cs-uswest5] OK (crypto v1) - rtt: 77ms
Jan 25 22:52:27 dnscrypt-proxy[650]: Server with the lowest initial latency: cs-usnorth (rtt: 46ms)
Jan 25 17:00:06 Skynet: [Complete] 131795 IPs / 1996 Ranges Banned. 0 New IPs / 0 New Ranges Banned. 51 Inbound / 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [5s]
Jan 25 17:00:53 disk_monitor: Got SIGALRM...
It spams the sys log every 30 minutes with this info. Wouldn't be bad maybe if twice a day.

Last edited:
Tried this on my AC68u and it just keeps going back and asking previous steps, I thought I got to the end again and it went back to picking a DNS server, I rage quit at that point :(
When you are done selecting your servers choose q and it will send you back to the command prompt asking you to reboot the router. Just enter q as the dns server and you are out.

So far I have noticed better vpn performance. I also have this in System Log/Port Forwarding. The pre routing instruction gets ran twice. As per attached image.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-01-25 19-35-30.png
    Screenshot from 2018-01-25 19-35-30.png
    229.5 KB · Views: 393
I love how the new script poles the dns servers you have selected to see which one is the best....perfect!

Major change coming... removing csv... lol...
Yeah that's rather fun considering I have to parse that file from linux shell.

I installed this beta and am wondering if any v2 servers are available in the US? My logs show success in reaching the servers I selected but none of them are v2. I don't see any v2 servers listed in the states. I chose 31 through 35.
Well beta 10 is out with version 2 list but for now no support for that. Look at my previous answer.

Also I found this in the logs and when ever dnproxy runs it runs at 6hrs ahead of my routers local time.
It spams the sys log every 30 minutes with this info. Wouldn't be bad maybe if twice a day.
dnscrypt-proxy does not read TZ environment variable, I have reported it to dnscrypt-proxy.
The syslog spam is intended as dnscrypt-proxy is still in beta, I want to get all the logs I need if there's problem. Log level configuration will be configurable in the installer script later.

Please run the installer again, as I have added the feature called add info message for GoNz0.

So far I have noticed better vpn performance. I also have this in System Log/Port Forwarding. The pre routing instruction gets ran twice. As per attached image.
I love how the new script poles the dns servers you have selected to see which one is the best....perfect!
These has nothing to do with my script, either it's placebo or changes of dnscrypt-proxy itself.

Seems to have gone through but still not working, I had hoped the v2 would work on 382.2_beta3 release as the last script also stopped. I get the oops page on https://welcome.opendns.com/oops/
Also the system log last mentioned dnscrypt on the 19th of jan.
Not sure what I need to do next?
Probably both are the same issue with 382 branch, I have seen it somewhere around this thread before, but as my AC56U does not have an official firmware for this branch this is low priority right now as well.

The highest priority at the moment is parsing version 2 resolver list. After everything is stable with version 2 and my script I will iron out any quirk on platforms that I can't test directly or hard to test.

The highest priority at the moment is parsing version 2 resolver list.
I spent a little time looking at this yesterday. It looks like the sdns:// field is a base64 encode of the data that was in the csv. Have you figured out the format? Would be nice if the dnscrypt author would spend a little time on docs.

Last edited:
Loaded beta 10 seems to be working fine!

Script updated:
- mipsel support added for testing
- script now install beta10
it has only been a few minutes since I upgraded my n66u MIPSEL, but everything is going very well...If that changes, I'll be sure to report back.
thank you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!