What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a pfSense is much better.

For the record. I am not here to push any brand.

I only mentioned mikrotik since I have first hand seen that the pfq QOS implementation on their switch was able to handle a gigabit connection without choking.

Mentioning other brands and their QOS capabilities is also encouraged.

We all know the downfalls of the Asus one pretty well due to extensive first hand expierence.

Last edited:
We can only dream of such speeds in Australia!!!!!
So Jealous. With NAT acceleration, you will also lost the traffic analyser I believe - but then, at those speeds, do you really care ?

This script is still workin with 384.7 & installing it hasn't changed either, correct?

This script is still workin with 384.7 & installing it hasn't changed either, correct?
Nothing has changed except that the script has an automated installer.

Hello

Can someone explay me exactly how putty works, i am really new to this qos and also speak german :D and not perfect english ;-)
In Putty where do i have to copy the script in ?

Hello

Can someone explay me exactly how putty works, i am really new to this qos and also speak german :D and not perfect english ;-)
In Putty where do i have to copy the script in ?
You have to start putty and login by typing "user id"@"router address" and press enter. Then it will ask for a password, enter your router password. An ssh session should start by giving you a # command prompt. Copy the install url that is listed in FreshJR 1st pages paste into putty by just "right clicking" then press enter. That should install the scripts. Just go into the router webui and enable QOS with consideration to manual up and down rates and sett custom class as instructed on FreshJR 1st set of pages.

Please follow FreshJr's first few posts. It will most certainly walk you through every step to get this script working.

Hello

OK Done all is finished thx :D i just play only cs go, what is excatly the differenz between the gaming rule and the normal script ?

Is the gaming rule better with cs go ?

Hello

OK Done all is finished thx :D i just play only cs go, what is excatly the differenz between the gaming rule and the normal script ?

Is the gaming rule better with cs go ?
Try your game!! If you notice severe lag while your network is busy doing something else, then regulate with this QOS script. If it works for you out of the box, as it does for a lot of people leave things alone. Enjoy...:)

Hello

OK thank you very much :D i will try it and the results on dsl report are now amaizing :D bufferbloat is away on upload finally :D
For me it is not so easy to install the gaming rule becaucse i am not an network pro :D Do you know any video tut for this rule ?

Hello

OK thank you very much :D i will try it and the results on dsl report are now amaizing :D bufferbloat is away on upload finally :D
For me it is not so easy to install the gaming rule becaucse i am not an network pro :D Do you know any video tut for this rule ?
Like I say the gaming rules are pretty much special case. That being said, if you read up on the first few pages and figure out an application like winscp for windows, you can accomplish your goals. Keep reading the instructions, download the winscp if you use windows. Winscp is a gui friendly ssh client like putty but with a file directory gui.

If you use windows you could benefit from notepad++ to edit the files you need. This can be downloaded for free as well.

ok so i need notepad++ to edit the file abd also Cidr notation to know the right value.

Then i just jave to cope it to putty ? But for what do i need pscp ? Sry

ok so i need notepad++ to edit the file abd also Cidr notation to know the right value.

Then i just jave to cope it to putty ? But for what do i need pscp ? Sry
For some ...having a directory tree like look helps. If you are command line adept then go for it.

You did everything correctly. It seems curl is bundled with the stock firmware on an “as-needed” basis. I assumed it was present on all Asus firmware, but your router is one of the many ones that doesn't have it.

Scp is a tool to transfer files between devices.
Curl is similar, but it transfers file from a website and onto a device.

Scp is executed on the computer. Curl is executed on the remote device/router itself.

Curl had an ease of installation bonus since it created missing directories on the destination device, unlike scp.

There will be no alternate “curl” command syntax update for stock firmware as there is nothing to update since the required executable does not exist.

@shelleyevans , the first post instructions have been updated to reflect your findings.

Glad you got it figured out and learned some tools in the process.

In any case, the scp method is superior since it is required if doing custom rules. The scp method was originally the only method explained since I didn't find it complicated and it was more versatile in regards to modifications.

Curl simply was a workaround for the installation complaints I received, but I do not like it since robs users the ability to see inside the script.
So I'm using stock firmware on the 1900P and trying to install using the alternative method and in step 2,
2) In command prompt
Code:
cd C:\putty\
pscp -scp C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS.sh admin@192.168.1.1:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
Command prompt (admin) is asking me for a password, I'm assuming it's the password to access the router's web interface but I'm getting access denied repeatedly. Ever come across something like this before?

Last edited:
@Spydawg

It should be simple to implement a lightweight QOS structure for gigabit connections.

I just need to ask around how to prep the interfaces for TC into eth0 / br0 which allows us to separate the download / upload streams for shapping without disabling NAT.

If I get an answer, I’ll try creating a solution for you.

If not, microtik does offer that simple lightweight QOS structure I mentioned that works well with gigabit connection, but the setup is not all that intuitive (maybe they have a youtube video).

@Sinner that should be simple to do if that portion had its source code available. So just rely on appdb.
How about cake I read that some one got it working on a 86u because it runs the required kernel version

You will need putty and pscp, as well as the

1) In command prompt
Code:

3) In putty
Code:
dos2unix /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
sh /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -install

4) turn ON qos or restart router as instructed

Do i have to use this to to install the gaming rule ?

Where do i have to paste in the modified script ?

You will need putty and pscp, as well as the

1) In command prompt
Code:

3) In putty
Code:
dos2unix /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
sh /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -install

4) turn ON qos or restart router as instructed

Do i have to use this to to install the gaming rule ?

Where do i have to paste in the modified script ?

Is all in the instructions on 1st page. You create a folder and input the script inside the folder.

@FreshJR I've been doing sum reading and came across some interesting info regarding burst rates. After taking a peek under the hood im noticing my burst rates are about 1/1000 of my ceiling. is that intentional? It would make sense to me the "burst" should be higher than "rate" possibly equal to "ceiling"? or is there some other special scenarios where this does not apply or isn't needed?

EDIT: I should mention im using a much older version of script. Old school installs with the app db stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!