What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And i have a other problem.I have a internet connection 400 Mb cable .Download from isp is 400 and 25 upstream . I set manually the download and the upload rate at 360 and 23 .When adaptive qos is off, then i get in a speed test by oakla my full download, its about 400.When i turn qos on, then i get about 150 download.The upstream is not affected.It always shows something like 25.Do you maybe know what causes this problem?

You router is cpu limited when processing QoS at your speeds.

You need a different, more lightweight QoS, for your speeds. Unfortunately, a lightweight QoS option is not available on the Asus routers.

(Technically it can be implemented with the hardware at hand)

You router is cpu limited when processing QoS at your speeds.

You need a different, more lightweight QoS, for your speeds. Unfortunately, a lightweight QoS option is not available on the Asus routers.

(Technically it can be implemented with the hardware at hand)

Then, to use the benefitial of fq qodel or the qos for my game, or i need a new router, which can handle the full speeds of my isp,or i could set the download rate at about 100, and then the router wouldnt be su much efforted, right ?

Hey @FreshJR

I seen you're working on a update, and one of your recent post, and you showed within the router gui, QoS Modification. So that has me wondering, will we now be able to create rules within the router gui, instead of having to manually input rules via the script file? If so, that's awesome, and I can't wait. Just makes things much easier, especially for the noobs. I know this likely isn't for everyone, as there's still certain modifications that will require manually adding changes to the script file itself.

However from one I can see... Say I have a game that isn't being properly put in the right category, I can just input that now within the router gui, without having to manually open the script file, and make changes. Honestly I love seeing any improvements which makes things easier, especially for the one's who don't know much about making changes to the script file itself. Which includes myself. Honestly when it comes to making changes to the script file, I'm a bit lost on how to make such changes, and doing it correctly.

With that said... I'm like a lot of people here, and want my QoS to function as best as possible. Which is pretty much impossible to do, with just running QoS, and letting it try to identify everything. Just yesterday I was overlooking the QoS, with your current version installed, and I noticed something I didn't like. I was using both Twitch, and Youtube, both were put under video/audio streaming, which was fine. However I was on a couple other sites, like NFL, and had a couple video's playing. However while the video was active, data was being shown active under "Net Control Packets". Which appears to be the top priority, and to me, that isn't good. Having a web site video classified as highest priority data.

Long story short.. If it will soon be possible to add new rules within the router's gui, that will be awesome, and much easier to redirect certain traffic to the right priority class.

Hey @FreshJR

I seen you're working on a update, and one of your recent post, and you showed within the router gui, QoS Modification. So that has me wondering, will we now be able to create rules within the router gui, instead of having to manually input rules via the script file? If so, that's awesome, and I can't wait. Just makes things much easier, especially for the noobs. I know this likely isn't for everyone, as there's still certain modifications that will require manually adding changes to the script file itself.

However from one I can see... Say I have a game that isn't being properly put in the right category, I can just input that now within the router gui, without having to manually open the script file, and make changes. Honestly I love seeing any improvements which makes things easier, especially for the one's who don't know much about making changes to the script file itself. Which includes myself. Honestly when it comes to making changes to the script file, I'm a bit lost on how to make such changes, and doing it correctly.

With that said... I'm like a lot of people here, and want my QoS to function as best as possible. Which is pretty much impossible to do, with just running QoS, and letting it try to identify everything. Just yesterday I was overlooking the QoS, with your current version installed, and I noticed something I didn't like. I was using both Twitch, and Youtube, both were put under video/audio streaming, which was fine. However I was on a couple other sites, like NFL, and had a couple video's playing. However while the video was active, data was being shown active under "Net Control Packets". Which appears to be the top priority, and to me, that isn't good. Having a web site video classified as highest priority data.

Long story short.. If it will soon be possible to add new rules within the router's gui, that will be awesome, and much easier to redirect certain traffic to the right priority class.
page-119#post-2376

That may answer your questions....

Then, to use the benefitial of fq qodel or the qos for my game, or i need a new router, which can handle the full speeds of my isp,or i could set the download rate at about 100, and then the router wouldnt be su much efforted, right ?

You can buy a Ethernet only “router” from microtik that supports QoS for like $50.

Then you can still use your current router as a wireless access point.

Mikrotik has a per device fair bandwidth QoS system (no deeppacket inspection) that will work up high speeds easily with amazing results. That type of QoS works well for high speed connections.

No point in missing out on so much of your connection.

@lilstone87 yes that is how it will work

You can buy a Ethernet only “router” from microtik that supports QoS for like $50.

Then you can still use your current router as a wireless access point.

Mikrotik has a per device fair bandwidth QoS system (no deeppacket inspection) that will work up high speeds easily with amazing results. That type of QoS works well for high speed connections.

No point in missing out on so much of your connection.

@lilstone87 yes that is how it will work

Ok..thank you. How does the ac5300 handles high speeds like mine. Im thinking of buying this one.

Ok..thank you. How does the ac5300 handles high speeds like mine. Im thinking of buying this one.

Just to give you another option as well, I'm on a Gigabit connection and my 86U can handle speeds upto 850Mbps up and down with QoS enabled pretty easily.

Are you sure?? I don’t think the performance difference was THAT large.

Well I didn't checked extensively under load but I tested my link speed on Speedtest with and without QoS enabled and under both cases I reached speeds upto 850Mbps.

This is most likely how the "modification" interface will look.

final.png

98% done (this does not include testing that I will be performing prior to release).

Last edited:

final.png

98% done (this does not include testing that I will be performing prior to release).
That's incredible. More than I even imaginied was happening.

Great work @FreshJR

final.png

That's incredible. More than I even imaginied was happening.

Great work @FreshJR

I too am suitably impressed! This is really next level FreshJR!

I would be willing to test this when you get to that stage, if you need more testers, of course!

@FreshJR will the Download and Upload Bandwidth sections pull in the current values from the script? So, you know where they stand currently, and after modification? Or will they just be blank input boxes.

Not a huge deal just curious.

Thanks,

@FreshJR will the Download and Upload Bandwidth sections pull in the current values from the script? So, you know where they stand currently, and after modification? Or will they just be blank input boxes.

They will pull data and populate correctly.

Hey @FreshJR
The script will work with stock / default / unmodified asus firmware ???

Yes it will still work as before but unfortunately, stock firmware users will not be getting the WebUI page. Also the script on stock firmware will still be subject to previous limitations.

(Stock Firmware Limitations: A reboot, or simply waiting until the daily scheduled check, will be required after most WebUI changes the script to take effect since it has no means of detecting when the underlying QoS structure was reset on stock firmware.)

Good news is that the interactive terminal mode will carry over to stock firmware users and it is also dead simple to use. I also went through a few iterations of the how I would like the interactive mode to be presented and like the final outcome. It will will be easy to modify the script even without the WebUI page.

interactive.png

EDIT:
Parameters also populates upwards during rule creation immediately after entry for clarity
stuff.png

and will also back-populate to be reflected at the main menu

Last edited:
They will pull data and populate correctly.

Yes it will still work as before but unfortunately, stock firmware users will not be getting the WebUI page. Also the script on stock firmware will still be subject to previous limitations.

(Limitations: A reboot, or simply waiting until the daily scheduled check, will be required after most WebUI changes the script to take effect since it has no means of detecting when the underlying QoS structure was reset on stock firmware.)

Good news is that the interactive terminal mode will carry over and function for users running stock firmware. I also went through many iterations of the how the interactive mode will work so it will be easy to setup vs. manual editing with Notepad++.

interactive.png
I don't think the pictures do it justice. The pictures alone show that you have tried to think about multiple users such as a novice to expert who may use this. I can't imagine the details that you put into making this. I can't wait or thank you enough. Donation/Drink is on me!

Hi Fresh
I have a problem with adaptive QOS using FQ_codel. I am on 384.9 using AC5300. My link speed is 50/20.
With QOS disabled i get 46/16.5 - and DSL Reports gives me an A+,A,A+ most of the time - sometimes Bufferbloat goes to B.
I have my manual settings D- 45, U-15 and everything set at default priority.
When I enable QOS ( your script is NOT enabled at this test) my speeds go down to D-14.5 U-8
Enabling your script does nothing to the speed - they remain at 14.5 and 8. I have reset to factory default numerous times - and rentered config - still no change to degraded speeds with QOS enabled.

Any ideas - is anyone else experiencing this on AC5300?

Hi Fresh
I have a problem with adaptive QOS using FQ_codel. I am on 384.9 using AC5300. My link speed is 50/20.
With QOS disabled i get 46/16.5 - and DSL Reports gives me an A+,A,A+ most of the time - sometimes Bufferbloat goes to B.
I have my manual settings D- 45, U-15.
When I enable QOS ( your script is NOT enabled at this test) my speeds go down to D-14.5 U-8
Enabling your script does nothing to the speed - they remain at 14.5 and 8. I have reset to factory default numerous times - and rentered config - still no change to degraded speeds with QOS enabled.

Any ideas - is anyone else experiencing this on AC5300?

What is the status of hardware acceleration under:

Tools --> Network: --> HW Acceleration:

(But even HW Accel disabled it should be higher than you are currently getting)

NAT ACC = CTF auto. ( enabled ).

Status
Not open for further replies.