What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have had a look and can't find this mentioned.
I am running RT-AC88U with Merlin fimware 384.10_2.
I have performed a factory default reset and installed fresh's QOS script.

Prior to installing script, downloads using "Internet download manager" are detected as Microsoft SSL on port 443 and classified as Net Control Packets in both Traffic classification area (graphs) and Tracked connections.

After installing Freshs QOS script, downloads are classified as HTTP Protocol Over TLS SSL ) - WebSurfing in Tracked connections, but traffic graphs classification show Net control count increasing.
See attached screengrabs.

Is there a way to check if this is correctly classified and why does count show as NetControl traffic, not web traffic.

Thanks

Attachments

• tracked_connections.jpg
    tracked_connections.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 356
  • traffic_graph.jpg
    traffic_graph.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 392
Hah. I spent 2 hours tweaking QoS values until I decided to read the back-end of this thread... Should have waited 5 minutes between changes :D

Hi,
I have had a look and can't find this mentioned.
I am running RT-AC88U with Merlin fimware 384.10_2.
I have performed a factory default reset and installed fresh's QOS script.

Prior to installing script, downloads using "Internet download manager" are detected as Microsoft SSL on port 443 and classified as Net Control Packets in both Traffic classification area (graphs) and Tracked connections.

After installing Freshs QOS script, downloads are classified as HTTP Protocol Over TLS SSL ) - WebSurfing in Tracked connections, but traffic graphs classification show Net control count increasing.
See attached screengrabs.

Is there a way to check if this is correctly classified and why does count show as NetControl traffic, not web traffic.

Thanks

After you enable or apply changes to qos they donot take effect for 5min. Not 1sec leas. Theres a 5min delay built into script

After you enable or apply changes to qos they donot take effect for 5min. Not 1sec leas. Theres a 5min delay built into script
Does anyone know if Asus has the only routers that can have qos and ctf enabled at the same time. Do any other routers have anything like adaptive qos

Pre-existing connections existing prior to QOS being started or connections starting during the 5minute wait, will NOT reflect the scripts updated destinations.

Once you enable QOS enable && after the 5 minute wait, any NEWLY started connections/downloads should go into "Web Surfing".

This is a known limitation. A workaround for this limitation has been implemented and will be included next release.

Pre-existing connections existing prior to QOS being started or connections starting during the 5minute wait, will NOT reflect the scripts updated destinations.

Once you enable QOS enable && after the 5 minute wait, any NEWLY started connections/downloads should go into "Web Surfing".

This is a known limitation. A workaround for this limitation has been implemented and will be included next release.

Thanks all for your replies. I was aware of the 5 min wait time and thought I had waited. I retested today and traffic is correctly being classified. Perhaps as fresh says I needed new connections or hadn't waited long enough.

Thanks all for your replies. I was aware of the 5 min wait time and thought I had waited. I retested today and traffic is correctly being classified. Perhaps as fresh says I needed new connections or hadn't waited long enough.
You can check your 'System Log' to see when exactly it states a Delayed Start will occur. I just blocked my bedroom tv from zombie connections to the internet and the System Log said:

May 10 09:08:20 adaptive QOS: Applying - Iptable Down Rules
May 10 09:08:20 adaptive QOS: Applying - Iptable Up Rules (eth0)
May 10 09:08:20 adaptive QOS: TC Modification Delayed Start (5min)
May 10 09:13:20 adaptive QOS: No modifications necessary

@FreshJR how soon till the next update? I'm looking forward to not waiting the 5 minute delay. Thanks

Last edited:
You can check your 'System Log' to see when exactly it states a Delayed Start will occur. I just blocked my bedroom tv from zombie connections to the internet and the System Log said:

May 10 09:08:20 adaptive QOS: Applying - Iptable Down Rules
May 10 09:08:20 adaptive QOS: Applying - Iptable Up Rules (eth0)
May 10 09:08:20 adaptive QOS: TC Modification Delayed Start (5min)
May 10 09:13:20 adaptive QOS: No modifications necessary

@FreshJR how soon till the next update? I'm looking forward to not waiting
I would be interested in how you killed your undead TV. I have 3 in my house.

I would be interested in how you killed your undead TV. I have 3 in my house.

In Network Map, click Clients, on the right will be the list of clients online (sometimes you need to refresh this several times), then click on the client you want to block, a status will popup, then you just select 'Block Internet Access' This will trigger the Adaptive QoS 5min delay timer.

@FreshJR how soon till the next update? I'm looking forward to not waiting the 5 minute delay. Thanks

5 minute delay won’t be eliminated, it’s simply how long it takes for QOS to finish setting itself up.

The script has a 5minute delay since it needs to run AFTER qos has completely finished setting up.

The fix is for the traffic misidentification glitch for traffic present during the 5-minute wait.

I’m working on it every time I get free time.

(Asus also left QOS in debug mode instead of release mode, if I make modification to that, we can get the wait to down to 30sec-1min due to eliminating the restarts but I won’t be modifying this behavior)

Last edited:
Noob question: I just installed and setup FreshJR QOS script according to the recommendations on page 1 and everything seems to run great. However, on one of the machines I see a lot of untracked but I know its all coming from the "Transmission" application downloading a torrent. How do I make it tracked so that it adheres to the QOS rules. I'm assuming it would need to fall under File Downloading but not sure how to go on about it. Thanks in advance.

Noob question: I just installed and setup FreshJR QOS script according to the recommendations on page 1 and everything seems to run great. However, on one of the machines I see a lot of untracked but I know its all coming from the "Transmission" application downloading a torrent. How do I make it tracked so that it adheres to the QOS rules. I'm assuming it would need to fall under File Downloading but not sure how to go on about it. Thanks in advance.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...There is no way to change the detection. This is something that ASUS need to do. Fresh's script will allow you to change where "untracked" traffic sits in the mix. ie You can mark it as download.

the script relocates all "unidentified" traffic into "others" but should still be tracked in the others category for data use etc. apps that are recognized by trends appdb are placed where they decided they should go with the exception of a few that freshjr has relocated into other containers that make more sense.

Since you are able to define local ports in your torrent client you choose a single port (or range) and then create a rule for this range in the Fresh qos page redirecting the traffic wherever you wish.

Hey JR - I just updated to latest script and the install routine didn't recognize my system as Merlin, so I had to answer the "stock or not" question. Is that normal? AC3200 w/ 384.11.

Als0... is there a reason you don't setup an updater script? I assume if I homebrew that, then I need to not just curl the files but to run -install at each update to handle any feature changes?

TIA...

Question:
I am currently connected to my ExpressVPN OpenClient.
On my AppleTV, I have PopcornTime installed (it lets you stream movies in real time using torrents).
I just checked my QoS classification and this is what it shows (see screenshot).
Im not entirely sure how to add this to my QoS settings to file it under streaming o_O

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 5.41.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 5.41.46 PM.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 342
Hey JR - I just updated to latest script and the install routine didn't recognize my system as Merlin, so I had to answer the "stock or not" question. Is that normal? AC3200 w/ 384.11.

Als0... is there a reason you don't setup an updater script? I assume if I homebrew that, then I need to not just curl the files but to run -install at each update to handle any feature changes?

TIA...
Did you try "/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -update" ?

Did you try "/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -update" ?

Yeah but that appears to be an interactive updater. I was hoping for a non-blocking update...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!