What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to tell if steam videos eg game trailers in the steam client, and videos on the xbox one app eg game trailers and recorded clips are being detected as video streaming by qos?
I've always wonders if it was just low resolution videos or encoding or a bandwidth thing.

Is there a way to tell if steam videos eg game trailers in the steam client, and videos on the xbox one app eg game trailers and recorded clips are being detected as video streaming by qos?
I've always wonders if it was just low resolution videos or encoding or a bandwidth thing.

Well easy way would be load one up and check the qos stats page. If noone else doing anything and data going crazy in one of the containers... thats where its goin :)

What does it show up under app analysis as.

Oh and ios/google appstore downloads if possible in downloads would be dreamy as well if its not going there already

We spoke about this in PM.

I have redirected App Analysis "AppStore" into file downloads. It was in web surfing before.
Sometimes appstore updates/downloads are detected as "iTunes" which goes into filestreaming.

I do not want to redirect "iTunes" into downloads, as I bet a majority of people using it for AppleMusic/Homepod/etc would not want it redirected away from streaming.

If you are not planning on using "iTunes" related services, you can redirect "iTunes" for your personal use case only. I will not be making it a default rule.

Last edited:
Stable Releases are out!!!!

Go head and pick your poison. Red pill or blue pill.

For users still on fw369, do not worry, I did not permantly erase that version.
I will be backporting all recent changes from the current compatibility branch into a version compatible with v369.
The recent changes fixed various things and are a worthwhile backport.

Edit:

legacy version uploaded
slight filename changes as I noticed people were downloading wrong sets of files probably due to similar names

Last edited:
Thany you FreshJR, great job! :)

One additional question: With app analysis turned on seeing that for example amazon instant video get's recognized correctly, would it be possible to change the classification from lets say streaming to download, or can this only be done using mac/ip/port for reclassifying because it's fixed within the database?

Regards,
Chris

A question from ignorance. For the theme of video games you have to keep putting in my case the xbox in the range of ip 192.168.1.4 to 192.168.1.7 with the scrits that have been released stable.

regards!!!

Thany you FreshJR, great job! :)

One additional question: With app analysis turned on seeing that for example amazon instant video get's recognized correctly, would it be possible to change the classification from lets say streaming to download, or can this only be done using mac/ip/port for reclassifying because it's fixed within the database?

Regards,
Chris

If it is getting recognized as something, yes it is possible to redirect it.

Please go over this previous post of mine, quoted here so you don't have to look for it.

After some experimenting I found out that you can create rules to modify the default destination of the specific applications identified within app analysis. Lets go over two examples

Code:
From /tmp/bwdpi/bwdpi.app.db
4,132,0,Netflix
13,7,0,Speedtest.net

netflix
general category: 4dec = 04 hex
specific identification: 132dec = 0084 hex

speedtest
general category: 13dec = 0d hex
specific identification: 7dec = 0007 hex

so

Code:
realtc filter add dev br0 protocol all prio 2 u32 match mark 0x80040084 0xc03fffff flowid ${Default}     # will stick netflix into defaults

realtc filter add dev br0 protocol all prio 2 u32 match mark 0x800d0007 0xc03fffff flowid ${Default}     # will stick speedtest.net into defaults

I don't like too many rules, but if some app is causing havoc **cough speedtest.net cough**, you can stick it into defaults/filedownloads instead of web browsing.

The general form goes like this

8# 0d 0007 = (Download, Web Browsing, Speedtest)

where

8 = traffic direction [ download (8) or upload (4) ]
# = traffic priorty (highest,high,medium,default,lowest)
0d = traffic type (see post 3 or bwdpi.app.db)
0007 = specific application/traffic within category (see bwdpi.app.db )

Note: numbers in TC are in hex. Numbers in "bwdpi.app.db" are in dec. Conversion is necessary.

I will glady go over any questions on how to find the corresponding mark rather than posting the answer so I don't have supply custom rules for every request someone might have. Although that post already worked out two examples.

Once you find something, feel free to post it so other less inclined users can copy it!

Ask away at any questions. I know shell commands and navigation are complicated for those who never used it before! If you have a question, chances are someone else has it too.

Also, be aware that the windows built in calculator is your friend

friend.png

Edit:
Almost forgot,

these two commands are can view the database in plaintext.

cat /tmp/bwdpi/bwdpi.app.db

&

cat /tmp/bwdpi/bwdpi.app.db | grep -i "amazon"

Last edited:
If it is getting recognized as something, yes it is possible to redirect it.

Please go over this previous post of mine, quoted here so you don't have to look for it.

I will glady go over any questions on how to find the corresponding mark rather than posting the answer so I don't have supply custom rules for every request someone might have. Although that post already worked out two examples.

Once you find something, feel free to post it so other less inclined users can copy it!

Ask away at any questions. I know shell commands and navigation are complicated for those who never used it before! If you have a question, chances are someone else has it too.

Also, be aware that the windows built in calculator is your friend

friend.png

--

Can you say that again?
What do you want me to change

Not only know if for the issue of the xbox I have to put it within that IP range.

Not only know if for the issue of the xbox I have to put it within that IP range.

Xbox IP has to match range in CIDR IP in rule.

192.168.1.100/30 = 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.103

192.168.1.4/30 = 192.168.1.4 - 192.168.1.7

Xbox/Playstation would need 192.168.1.100-103 or 192.168.1.4-192.168.1.7 IP depending on whats in the rule.
You decide ip range in rule.

Use calculator to find CIDR range to put into rule http://www.subnet-calculator.com/cidr.php

cidr_calc.png

For more help @Im your Friend understands spanish

Last edited:
Xbox IP has to match range in CIDR IP in rule.

192.168.1.100/30 = 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.103

192.168.1.4/30 = 192.168.1.4 - 192.168.1.7

Xbox/Playstation would need 192.168.1.100-103 or 192.168.1.4-192.168.1.7 IP depending on whats in the rule.
You decide ip range in rule.

Use calculator to find CIDR range to put into rule http://www.subnet-calculator.com/cidr.php

cidr_calc.png

For more help @Im your Friend understands spanish

OK thanks

All 4 scripts updated. (did not change version number)

The "iptables" gaming rules were a wrong copy/paste.
You know you messed up when your iptables rules do not have the word iptables in them.

You can ignore this if you do not use them.

Last edited:
Haven
What does it show up under app analysis as.

We spoke about this in PM.

I have redirected App Analysis "AppStore" into file downloads. It was in web surfing before.
Sometimes appstore updates/downloads are detected as "iTunes" which goes into filestreaming.

I do not want to redirect "iTunes" into downloads, as I bet a majority of people using it for AppleMusic/Homepod/etc would not want it redirected away from streaming.

If you are not planning on using "iTunes" related services, you can redirected "iTunes" for your personal use case only. I will not be making it a default rule.
The had time to check I'll do it in a bit, also do these rusles still work, i havent seen it in logs mention its working

DownCeil="$(expr ${DownCeil} \* 95 / 100)"
UpCeil="$(expr ${UpCeil} \* 95 / 100)"

Last edited:
Haven

The had time to check I'll do it in a bit, also do these rusles still work, i havent seen it in logs mention its working

DownCeil="$(expr ${DownCeil} \* 95 / 100)"
UpCeil="$(expr ${UpCeil} \* 95 / 100)"

Those two commands, that auto reduce your entered bandwidth by by 5%, are able to be inserted into the script.

What do you mean you cannot see if it's working in the log. If something is being changed it WILL produce a log entry.

the stem traffic is just valve steam, and xbox
Those two commands, that auto reduce your entered bandwidth by by 5%, are able to be inserted into the script.

What do you mean you cannot see if it's working in the log. If something is being changed it WILL produce a log entry.
eiter i missed the entry possibly or its changed the out put.

the stem traffic is just valve steam, and xbox

eiter i missed the entry possibly or its changed the out put.

If its "valve steam" or "xbox", it will go into "downloads".
If you disable the gaming rules it will go into "gaming".

PM me your logs. You should be seeing entries.
If not, you messed up the install procedure.

If you are using the "compatible" version, it has a long 3 minute sleep before starting.

Also steam traffic is valve steam that includes videos for trailers and xbox is windows media player for videos in App Analysis. Im using the fake TC version.
ok so some videos on xbox store come up as xbox, the one for games with gold the promo vidoe comes up as windows media player.

Also steam traffic is valve steam that includes videos for trailers and xbox is windows media player for videos in App Analysis

Normally "valve steam" goes into gaming.
The gaming rules in the script make any gaming that is coming from port 80 or 443 go into downloads.

This means with the script, your steam trailers should go into downloads.
If xbox trailers are "windows media player", then it should go into streaming.

Here is my log with the fast version of the script.

instant_version.png

If steam videos are not going into "downloads" and if you do not see QOS messages in log, you messed up the install.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!