What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank's for your efforts Fresh, now working like a charm;)
Small correction in fast stable release. Percent of download speed guaranteed per QOS category, one of item have 22 if I don't make mistake have to be total equal 100 but in this case have different total figures.

Last edited:
Yes the new rules are current recommendation for all.

3 lines for download
4 lines for upload

See my response to @Fenix, 1 more update needed

Yes those were correct. If something happens, PM a copy of the logs so I can see the preceding steps.
Without those I cannot do anything.

There was an issue with the gaming rules.
(The prio was set to the wrong number for the rule that was commented out)
I updated all 3 version of the script.

Update and try again. Should be fixed.
Fresh i only had to edit
line 84 for download and 120 and 121 for upload is this correct?

Code:
84 + 120/121 for fast verion
84 + 112/113 for compatible version

This is a general rule for everyone or just for what the friend said 1219chicho ??

One quick question for anyone. What is the desired setup in QOS settings? Should a person define the upload and download capacities or leave it set to Automatic? I use a OVPN connection for almost everything if this should be considered (as a ovpn connection plays with the classifying of upload and download traffic). I find that all my streaming is classed as streaming but as upload not download. Can anyone advise me please?

One quick question for anyone. What is the desired setup in QOS settings? Should a person define the upload and download capacities or leave it set to Automatic? I use a OVPN connection for almost everything if this should be considered (as a ovpn connection plays with the classifying of upload and download traffic). I find that all my streaming is classed as streaming but as upload not download. Can anyone advise me please?

Download and Upload at 90-95% of capacity.
Do not use automatic

Last edited:
Hey JR - small question - to update to a new revision, seems like all that's required is 1. disable 2. copy-new-scripts-in 3. re-enable, yes? Shouldn't have to do a full delete uninstall and then install?

Using the latest compatible version on my ac86u with Merlin 384.4 beta 3 some traffic seems to go through default.

I reverted back to the previous version I was using and no traffic to default anymore (it goes correctly through others).

Is it supposed to have traffic in default with the latest version?

Hey JR - small question - to update to a new revision, seems like all that's required is 1. disable 2. copy-new-scripts-in 3. re-enable, yes? Shouldn't have to do a full delete uninstall and then install?

An uninstall is NOT needed in most cases. Only time an uninstall is needed is when going from the fast version -> compatible version to get rid of faketc. (And even then, a reboot would stop fakeTC from running since it's corresponding launcher is not present).

So yes, just those 3 steps are correct.

Using the latest compatible version on my ac86u with Merlin 384.4 beta 3 some traffic seems to go through default.

I reverted back to the previous version I was using and no traffic to default anymore (it goes correctly through others).

Is it supposed to have traffic in default with the latest version?

compatible version has a 3 minute delay before enabling. This was written on the first post.

compatible version has a 3 minute delay before enabling. This was written on the first post.

Yes of course it has 3 mins delay!
I am talking for results after several hours!

The new compatible version ended up with about a GB traffic and you could still see Rate and Packet Rate traffic going on.

I reverted back to the previous version of compatible script.
QoS off / on waited several hours and Rate/Packet rate remains 0, while the total traffic are few KBs before the script modification kicked in!

All settings exactly the same!

Yes of course it has 3 mins delay!
I am talking for results after several hours!

All settings exactly the same!

Sometimes the connection creating the traffic has to be restarted before it will get sorted. until then it will remain in its initially destined category.

If that happens to someone else, send me the output of

tc filter show dev br0

So I can see if that is the case OR the rules are not getting successfully applied. The compatible version has periods of time where it gets disabled until it's next persistence check.

Sometimes the connection creating the traffic has to be restarted before it will get sorted again so it gets stuck in the first category.

If those happens to someone else, send me the output of

tc filter show dev br0

So I can see if the rules got successfully applied.

Thanks FreshJR for letting me know. I wanted to confirm that there were no changes in this regard to the script.
I will apply the new version again later and will let you know :)

I stream over vpn (open vpn client on router). Incoming stream traffic stats are reversed, in that the traffic is considered upload not download. How does FreshJR_QOS interpret this and how do the rules work when specifying src address and dst address in the streaming rule? Does FreshJR_QOS know what to do with this traffic recording problem or is this just a webui problem showing stats incorrectly? Just trying to wrap my head around this....:confused:

I stream over vpn (open vpn client on router). Incoming stream traffic stats are reversed, in that the traffic is considered upload not download. How does FreshJR_QOS interpret this and how do the rules work when specifying src address and dst address in the streaming rule? Does FreshJR_QOS know what to do with this traffic recording problem or is this just a webui problem showing stats incorrectly? Just trying to wrap my head around this....:confused:

That's still a grey area to me. I cannot assist here.

Whatever is happening is default Asus QOS behavior.
Nothing was changed regarding this behavior.

Investigation into network adapter structure is beyond my knowledge. Another member, @cdufour, should know what is going on as I saw him task himself with fixing traditional QOS by setting up the deeper network interfaces behind TC. I do not know if he will lend us his time or knowledge. Worth a shot asking him.

I am not an IT person, network engineer, or even a programmer. I just learned enough about the inner workings of TC and shell programming to fix some quirks that were seriously bothering me.

Last edited:
Compatible version received a minor update.

-added a check to see if QOS is done setting itself up prior to modifying rates (the 3minute timer was not sufficient for one user)
-script trigger delay timer increased to 5min from 3min
-removed rule repeated twice
-video bandwidth default starting value change to 30 from 22
-added a debug mode

Sometimes Adaptive QOS will internally restart multiple times after clicking apply settings. This QOS restart typically happens to users that experience kernel error messages.
Once again, these messages are **NOT** caused by the compatible version of the script. They are caused by a race condition between fq-codel and QOS.
(FreshJR_fakeTC experimental method actually applies hacky work arounds to limit these kernel error messages.) The compatible version employs NO hacky workarounds of any sort for stability reasons.

With this "not ready" possibility discovered, the delayed start timer in the compatible version was simply increased to 5 minutes.

5min should be sufficient for about QOS 3 restarts.

If it qos is NOT fully setup at 5min, then at that point then the script will skip rate changes entirely and print a warning prompting the user to increase the delayed start sleep time for their specific configuration.

This update is optional if you already have it working but extra stability can never hurt.

Last edited:
Thank you FreshJR for your hard work! After updating, the script has been running smoothly without any error log, which has been only seen when restarting the router. And this error-free magic has begun since the first compatible version ;)

Last edited:
Hey JR - had a little trouble updating, would appreciate thoughts. I disabled FreshJR, disabled QOS, tried to copy files in but FreshJR_QOS_faketc was locked, even after the disabling. I dug into the script and did a manual unmount think that's what it was but even that didn't help. Had to reboot to clear the lock. Then copied new files in, tried both enable and install options, but just kept getting:

FreshJR QOS fakeTC is disabled
(Adaptive QOS is turned OFF in router UI)

Digging again into the script I re-did the mount command manually to bind faketc to /usr/sbin/tc and now all is working great, but, any thoughts on why the faketc file gets locked? I guess the umount isn't working?

Last edited:
Tried to load this on my AC88U yesterday....didn't work.
Previously had version 1.9 working last year but decided i didnt need it so uninstalled it.

Any advice?
Im on the latest beta

Status
Not open for further replies.