What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the download rule "fix" the QoS upload limit being applied to VPN client download speeds? I'll test it myself when I get in but that's not for a whole another hour!

Does the download rule "fix" the QoS upload limit being applied to VPN client download speeds? I'll test it myself when I get in but that's not for a whole another hour!

When I configured my router as a VPN Client, both upload & download traffic did NOT appear at all in QoS Statistics.

I remember the conversations with you where your traffic was appearing in the uploads section. I did not experience this.

I have some questions to ask you via PM

Last edited:
Dummy alert! AC88U
I uninstalled the FreshJR_QOS in putty.
Then uploaded the WAN script in the putty folder.
CMD'd the new file
dos2nuix the new file
installed FreshJR

turned QOS on but in the log it says QOS is already started.

Only change ive made is having skynet on usb....
checked the putty folder and have both f382 and f384 versions...presume im f384 because im on the latest merlin?
Im very confused lol

turned QOS on but in the log it says QOS is already started.

This log entry?

Code:
Apr 15 14:50:02 kernel: ERR[qos_start:3344] QoS is already started!

That is not caused by me. All my log entries start with “Adaptive QoS”

That error is from Asus. You can ignore it. It happens without the script. Everything still works fine.

That fast version had hacks to limit the occurrence of these message. Compatible version is hands off.

checked the putty folder and have both f382 and f384 versions...presume im f384 because im on the latest merlin?
Im very confused lol

These version are out of date.

Ok Thanks FreshJR.
How can i check its working?
Do i have to manually change anything int he script like Vlan832?

No it’s all automatic. But it is only intended if you have a non-etho interface.

If you have a eth0 interface use the scripts in the first post.

Last edited:
Jun 16 13:45:15 rc_service: httpd 388:notify_rc restart_qos;restart_firewall
Jun 16 13:45:34 kernel: ERR[parse_qos_conf:932] Can't set new QoS conf while QoS is started!
Jun 16 13:45:34 kernel: ERR[ioctl_iqos_op_config:3592] parse qos_conf error!!
Jun 16 13:45:34 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_config() fail!
Jun 16 13:45:34 kernel: ERR[qos_start:3344] QoS is already started!
Jun 16 13:45:34 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_switch(1) fail!

This look ok FreshJR?

Ive defo vlan832 when i checked with your other script..so presume im good to go with this?

@FreshJR are there any changes to the original etho0 scripts at this time? Also, how can you tell if u have etho0 or vlan etc....?

so presume im good to go with this?

Yes

@FreshJR are there any changes to the original etho0 scripts at this time? Also, how can you tell if u have etho0 or vlan etc....?

Was explained in the post containing the alternate wan script.

The original scripts can use three very minor updates

eg.
Fix appdb multiword query
Fix a glitch if a user is trying to insert rules on prio21/22 slots
Change comment wording on rule templates to make them slightly easier understand

Since these are so minor, it has not received an update. Nothing has changed.

If appdb is recommending to insert a rule on 21/22 slots, feel free to use slot 20 instead. Not many users use appdb rules.

Last edited:
With the latest alternative script for non eth0 connections: All fine on syslog......

Jun 16 11:39:41 adaptive QOS: Applying - Iptable Down Rules
Jun 16 11:39:42 adaptive QOS: Applying - Iptable Up Rules (vlan832)
Jun 16 11:39:43 adaptive QOS: TC Modification Delayed Start (5min)
Jun 16 11:40:18 dnsmasq-dhcp[287]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) xx:xx:xx:xx
Jun 16 11:40:18 dnsmasq-dhcp[287]: DHCPOFFER(br0) xxx.xx.xx.xxx
Jun 16 11:40:18 dnsmasq-dhcp[287]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) xxx.xx.xx.xxx
Jun 16 11:40:18 dnsmasq-dhcp[287]: DHCPACK(br0) xxx.xx.xx.xxx
Jun 16 11:44:46 adaptive QOS: Applying TC Down Rules
Jun 16 11:44:46 adaptive QOS: Applying TC Up Rules
Jun 16 11:44:46 adaptive QOS: Modifying TC Class Rates
Jun 16 11:44:46 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10010 is big. Consider r2q change.
Jun 16 11:44:46 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10011 is big. Consider r2q change.
Jun 16 11:44:46 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10012 is big. Consider r2q change.
Jun 16 11:44:46 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10013 is big. Consider r2q change.
Jun 16 11:44:46 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10014 is big. Consider r2q change.
Jun 16 11:44:46 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10015 is big. Consider r2q change.
Jun 16 11:44:46 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10016 is big. Consider r2q change.
Jun 16 11:44:46 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10017 is big. Consider r2q change.
Jun 16 11:44:46 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10010 is big. Consider r2q change.
Jun 16 11:44:46 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10011 is big. Consider r2q change.
Jun 16 11:44:46 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10012 is big. Consider r2q change.
Jun 16 11:44:46 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10013 is big. Consider r2q change.
Jun 16 11:44:46 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10014 is big. Consider r2q change.
Jun 16 11:44:46 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10015 is big. Consider r2q change.
Jun 16 11:44:46 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10016 is big. Consider r2q change.
Jun 16 11:44:46 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10017 is big. Consider r2q change.

It seems to work fine.........

Hello.

I recently noticed that some traffic still goes to the Default category.
I don't know when it began but previously no traffic was going to Default.

I'm currently on RT-AC87U Merlin 384.5. FreshJR_QOS_fast_v1.

I didn't change the script in any way.
I tried reinstalling it and also FreshJR_QOS_compatible_v3.

Is that normal or is something wrong there?

And thanks for this script, it really improves the QoS.

QoS.PNG

Is that normal or is something wrong there?

The default category has been repurposed to contain game updates/downloads.

If you are worried look at the output of

Code:
/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -debug

“Undf Prio” should be anything EXCEPT 1:17

What game is triggering it out of curiosity?

Typically I found most game servers not hosted on ports 80/443. I would like to check if your game is at least using UDP on those ports.

If your game has UDP traffic from ports 80/443, I will add a TCP only filtering element to the gaming rule.

Thanks for the clarification.
The Undf Prio: 2 and is Undf FlowID: 1:13, so it seems ok.

It triggers when downloading games/updates through Steam and Uplay.

Also tested playing GTA V Online and it seems that the traffic goes through General / Default.
After playing for few minutes the Gaming category only increased about 10 KB and when playing the most active one was the Default category.

Thanks for the clarification.
The Undf Prio: 2 and is Undf FlowID: 1:13, so it seems ok.

It triggers when downloading games/updates through Steam and Uplay.

Also tested playing GTA V Online and it seems that the traffic goes through General / Default.
After playing for few minutes the Gaming category only increased about 10 KB and when playing the most active one was the Default category.

It's not the the end of the world if GTA Online would be in "Defaults" due to the guaranteed bandwidth setup.

But as you said, since it is "general" via AppAnalysis, its traffic is actually redirected into "Others"

Even if it was in "Defaults", since GTA wouldn't be exceeding the assigned guaranteed bandwidth of the default category, it's traffic would still be immune from being dropped / throttled. It would only become an issue if another device on the network would be downloading patches/updates. This scenario does not apply to you.

It seems like GTA game traffic actually is mostly UDP + non 80/443 ports.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gtaonline/...f_you_are_on_pc_block_these_ports_using_your/

So it looks like the traffic you are seeing in "Defaults" is LobbyData/GameAuthentication.

--

You can check all port usage via the following:

Go to Task Manager -> Performance -> Resource Monitor -> Network.

Look for GTA.exe in both

-TCP Connections
&&
-Listening Ports

If it's in TCP Connections note the Local & Remote ports.

If it's in Listening Ports note the Port & Protocol.

Last edited:
GTAV
In TCP the ports are 53917 (and variants of this) remote are 80, 443.
In Listening, ports are 6672, 17185, 64538. Protocol UDP.

In Borderlands 2 the port patterns are the same.

Not sure about other games as these two are the ones that I'm playing now.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    52.1 KB · Views: 417
GTAV
In TCP the ports are 53917 (and variants of this) remote are 80, 443.
In Listening, ports are 6672, 17185, 64538. Protocol UDP.

In Borderlands 2 the port patterns are the same.

Not sure about other games as these two are the ones that I'm playing now.

Everything is good then.

UDP is how your ping sensitive game data is being transfered (this will go into gaming or others).
TCP is used for initial matchmaking / lobby / etc (this will go into defaults).

So the lobby is being lumped in with game updates/download. (there was a note stating this in the rule).

Lobby data is coming from port 80/443.

FYI Note: Any data from ports 80/443 will always be assigned a random destination port 49152-65535 on your PC as you noticed.

@FreshJR dumb question but wld your script work with other firmwares i.e. tomato or dd-wrt?

@FreshJR dumb question but wld your script work with other firmwares i.e. tomato or dd-wrt?

0% chance. This is not a standalone QOS solution but rather modifications made on top of the Asus/TrendMicro implementation.

You would have to reverse engineer the bwpdi executable and change any Asus hardcoded specifics/drm checks, which is illegal and against EULA, let alone insanely time consuming.

As it stands ASUS lincenses (pays a fee) for using TrendMicro features such as AiProtection/WebHistory/QOS. Copying this would be theft.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!