What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got you. So If already have 3 ip addresses within my router, and they are 192.168.1.120, 60 and 211, I just append them all with /32 to specify the single addresses?

Alternatively, I create a range that is /30, and re-point my devices and router to those 3 sequential IPs?
Yes you got it! To single out 3 ips you would use /30 and use 3 out of the 4 that are available.

Using the alternative interface version: FreshJR_QOS_v5_ALTERNATIVE_WAN_INTERFACE.txt
35633531.png

Yes you got it! To single out 3 ips you would use /30 and use 3 out of the 4 that are available.
Ok, job sorted... Just need to see how it works in the real world.

I didn't change any custom rates in the script before I applied it, only the % in the bandwidth setup section... Assume the script works effectively without the custom rates?

Will see how I go with it and try a few tests to be sure it's doing what it should. Thanks for your help.

Ok, job sorted... Just need to see how it works in the real world.

I didn't change any custom rates in the script before I applied it, only the % in the bandwidth setup section... Assume the script works effectively without the custom rates?

Will see how I go with it and try a few tests to be sure it's doing what it should. Thanks for your help.
The custom rates give more priority to that class of traffic. You basically reserve bandwidth sort of.

The only class I really want to be sure of having priority is gaming / others. I assumed that by sorting order of priority in qos on the router app, after script application, that would take care of my prioritisation needs?

Or have I totally missed the bus, and as were applying a script, all priority has to be defined by that?

The only class I really want to be sure of having priority is gaming / others. I assumed that by sorting order of priority in qos on the router app, after script application, that would take care of my prioritisation needs?

Or have I totally missed the bus, and as were applying a script, all priority has to be defined by that?
The first post has a list of the classes and a recommended order. I would use it if you are gaming at all. Follow those instructions it really helps.

The first post has a list of the classes and a recommended order. I would use it if you are gaming at all. Follow those instructions it really helps.

Yeah I thought I’d already done that, but the order of priority was done in the app...

Thanks for the continued responses @skeal

The list of classes and priority - Do I adjust them in the router UI, or do I need to mod the rate/ciel section of the script?

Sorry for all the dumb questions...

The list of classes and priority - Do I adjust them in the router UI, or do I need to mod the rate/ciel section of the script?

Start by setting the classes as the post shows. Then adjust the bandwidth settings in the script to meet your needs. Oh it has to add up to 100, so lets say you are like me and want to allow video more bandwidth to stop other devices and what they are doing interfering with my video. I stole from voip and added it to video to keep it adding up to 100. Have a look at the values before you change them and you will see each of them the upload and download add up to 100.

You want to keep the classes as shown in the 1st post because ping sensitive traffic should always take highest priority. Gaming and video don't need any help they rob lots of bandwidth.

well that appears to just reduce the figures your entering for ul/dl on the qos setup page. Ill be honest with you... It's summertime and kids are home now. Ive notice massive fluctuations in my own at home here.. I have 10/2 wireless cellular internet here.. normally9/2 all day long. it peacks at 11/4 actually with bloat. latly everyone 5min its been dropping to like 1.5/0.5 for a sec or two causing lag spikes and hovering at the 3-4 range so ive had to reduce my setting to 3/1 in qos to be be stable most of the time. you may need todo the same because the second the internet in your area gets burdened and the performance drops anything below your setting qos blows up and cant work at all.
Rule used to show a message that it was changing to user defined percentages,and yes it modified the ui bandwidth values.

Well my connection is performing pretty well and the quality and bloat are good, I pay for 20/10... Just need to get my priority sorted out in the custom rates later to make the script do what it really needs to do.

I'm following suggested priority from the setup tutorial, though I haven't set up any custom rates at all yet. Was beyond me after a few G&T's last night, but thanks to @skeal for his patience! I have tweaked the "Percent of download speed guaranteed per QOS category" sections somewhat, obviously keeping to the measure of 100.

35645495.png

While doing the Speedtests (on my wired Ps4 Pro), the results say wireless, which is a bit odd (it's did this pre-script btw...)

I also noticed that the traffic at the time of the tests was classified as "Gaming" in the WebUI monitor pie chart. The Mrs was watching trash via Netflix on the upstairs PS4 earlier, and that was correctly classified as streaming...

Will have a play about with other types of forced traffic via PS4 later and see where it sits. Hopefully I've stumbled across an anomaly, as I, like I'm sure the majority who will use the gaming rules would also, prefer all "Other" PS4 network activity to be routed away from the true gaming packet allocation.

Last edited:
The custom rates have left me more than a little perplexed, I have to be honest.

Should your custom rates have a proportional relationship to "% speed guaranteed per QOS cat" against total bandwidth? If not, is there a preferred way to decide the custom rates?

Code:
####################  Bandwidth Setup #####################

user_variables() {
        #Percent of download speed guaranteed per QOS category, change below as desired     (minimum value per section 5, sum should not be greater than 100)
        NetControl_DownBandPercent=5                    #This value can be adjust as desired        **  no spaces before or after the "=" sign **
        VoIP_DownBandPercent=20                            #This value can be adjust as desired        **                no decimals              **
        Gaming_DownBandPercent=15                        #This value can be adjust as desired
        Others_DownBandPercent=10                        #This value can be adjust as desired        #Note: New destination for unidentified traffic
        WebSurfing_DownBandPercent=10                    #This value can be adjust as desired
        Video_DownBandPercent=30                        #This value can be adjust as desired
        FileTransfer_DownBandPercent=5                    #This value can be adjust as desired
        Default_DownBandPercent=5                        #This value can be adjust as desired        #Note: Original destination for unidentified traffic, repurposed for "Gaming Downloads on ports 80/443"

#Percent of upload speed guaranteed per QOS category, change below as desired         (minimum value per section 5, sum should not be greater than 100)
        NetControl_UpBandPercent=5                        #This value can be adjust as desired
        VoIP_UpBandPercent=20                            #This value can be adjust as desired
        Gaming_UpBandPercent=15                            #This value can be adjust as desired
        Others_UpBandPercent=30                            #This value can be adjust as desired        #Note: New destination for unidentified traffic
        WebSurfing_UpBandPercent=10                        #This value can be adjust as desired
        Video_UpBandPercent=10                            #This value can be adjust as desired
        FileTransfer_UpBandPercent=5                    #This value can be adjust as desired
        Default_UpBandPercent=5                            #This value can be adjust as desired        #Note: Original destination for unidentified traffic, repurposed for "Gaming Downloads on ports 80/443"
    }

I've kept the code as standard for the bandwidth setup as in the code above: So on my throttled connection of D20 / U9, for example, the % in Mb would equate to:

NetControl_DownBandPercent= 1mb (20/100)*5
VoIP_DownBandPercent= 4mb (20/100)*20
Gaming_DownBandPercent= 3mb
Others_DownBandPercent= 2mb
WebSurfing_DownBandPercent= 2mb
Video_DownBandPercent= 6mb
FileTransfer_DownBandPercent= 1mb
Default_DownBandPercent= 1mb

NetControl_UpBandPercent= 0.45mb (9/100)*5
VoIP_UpBandPercent= 1.8mb (9/100)*20
Gaming_UpBandPercent= 1.35mb
Others_UpBandPercent= 2.7mb
WebSurfing_UpBandPercent= 0.9mb
Video_UpBandPercent= 0.9mb
FileTransfer_UpBandPercent= 0.45mb
Default_UpBandPercent= 0.45mb

Would these figures, discounting NetControl yet ensuring total rate = ciel, be a decent approximation for custom rates, or am I wildly misinterpreting this?

I tried that but sadly it doesn't help if the rule isn't working in the first place.

Theyre just defaults. You can and possibly should adjust them to your particular needs but theyre setup default in such a way that it should just work ok. Keep in mind any container can still use bandwidth from others if its available otherwise will make sure they get at least that much. The main goal of qos is to limit bandwidth hogs like downloads and netflix from taking all the bandwidth. So that you can still browse web comfortably or play that online game with little to no noticable lag. I personally went with all 10% and video at 30%. Works flawlessly

Personally i think all 10% and video 30% should be the defaults. Works very well for a larger variety of connections. I have 10/2 wireless. The 5% ones were giving me r2q too small warnings at the settings i needed. The 10% corrected that allowing me to lower my ul/dl to where i needed without the warnings as well

Personally i think all 10% and video 30% should be the defaults. Works very well for a larger variety of connections. I have 10/2 wireless. The 5% ones were giving me r2q too small warnings at the settings i needed. The 10% corrected that allowing me to lower my ul/dl to where i needed without the warnings as well

In relation to bandwidth setup or custom rates?

Your ul/dl setting on the qos setup page need to be slightly lower than your reliable average actual speeds you can achieve with qos off. Reason for that is qos(the router) needs to be the bottleneck for your connection so it is in control. As soon as you actual connection drops below what you set there qos is broken and cant work because it doesnt know theres an issue. As for the %'s i was previously referring to, those are in the script and are my suggestions

Your ul/dl setting on the qos setup page need to be slightly lower than your reliable average actual speeds you can achieve with qos off.
Well understood, and they are :)

As for the %'s i was previously referring to, those are in the script and are my suggestions

Assume you mean the bandwidth percentages that I put in post 1656?

Is it necessary to add / modify custom rates / ciel, or does the script just do it all for you?

Code:
custom_rates() {
        echo "Modifying Class Rates"
        ${tc} class change dev br0 parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb ${PARMS}prio 0 rate ${DownRate0}Kbit ceil ${DownCeil}Kbit burst ${DownBurst0} cburst ${DownCburst0}
        ${tc} class change dev br0 parent 1:1 classid 1:11 htb ${PARMS}prio 1 rate ${DownRate1}Kbit ceil ${DownCeil}Kbit burst ${DownBurst1} cburst ${DownCburst1}
        ${tc} class change dev br0 parent 1:1 classid 1:12 htb ${PARMS}prio 2 rate ${DownRate2}Kbit ceil ${DownCeil}Kbit burst ${DownBurst2} cburst ${DownCburst2}
        ${tc} class change dev br0 parent 1:1 classid 1:13 htb ${PARMS}prio 3 rate ${DownRate3}Kbit ceil ${DownCeil}Kbit burst ${DownBurst3} cburst ${DownCburst3}
        ${tc} class change dev br0 parent 1:1 classid 1:14 htb ${PARMS}prio 4 rate ${DownRate4}Kbit ceil ${DownCeil}Kbit burst ${DownBurst4} cburst ${DownCburst4}
        ${tc} class change dev br0 parent 1:1 classid 1:15 htb ${PARMS}prio 5 rate ${DownRate5}Kbit ceil ${DownCeil}Kbit burst ${DownBurst5} cburst ${DownCburst5}
        ${tc} class change dev br0 parent 1:1 classid 1:16 htb ${PARMS}prio 7 rate ${DownRate6}Kbit ceil ${DownCeil}Kbit burst ${DownBurst6} cburst ${DownCburst6}
        ${tc} class change dev br0 parent 1:1 classid 1:17 htb ${PARMS}prio 6 rate ${DownRate7}Kbit ceil ${DownCeil}Kbit burst ${DownBurst7} cburst ${DownCburst7}

${tc} class change dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb ${PARMS}prio 0 rate ${UpRate0}Kbit ceil ${UpCeil}Kbit burst ${UpBurst0} cburst ${UpCburst0}
        ${tc} class change dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:11 htb ${PARMS}prio 1 rate ${UpRate1}Kbit ceil ${UpCeil}Kbit burst ${UpBurst1} cburst ${UpCburst1}
        ${tc} class change dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:12 htb ${PARMS}prio 2 rate ${UpRate2}Kbit ceil ${UpCeil}Kbit burst ${UpBurst2} cburst ${UpCburst2}
        ${tc} class change dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:13 htb ${PARMS}prio 3 rate ${UpRate3}Kbit ceil ${UpCeil}Kbit burst ${UpBurst3} cburst ${UpCburst3}
        ${tc} class change dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:14 htb ${PARMS}prio 4 rate ${UpRate4}Kbit ceil ${UpCeil}Kbit burst ${UpBurst4} cburst ${UpCburst4}
        ${tc} class change dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:15 htb ${PARMS}prio 5 rate ${UpRate5}Kbit ceil ${UpCeil}Kbit burst ${UpBurst5} cburst ${UpCburst5}
        ${tc} class change dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:16 htb ${PARMS}prio 7 rate ${UpRate6}Kbit ceil ${UpCeil}Kbit burst ${UpBurst6} cburst ${UpCburst6}
        ${tc} class change dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:17 htb ${PARMS}prio 6 rate ${UpRate7}Kbit ceil ${UpCeil}Kbit burst ${UpBurst7} cburst ${UpCburst7}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!