What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no placebo effect, only your mind self-deceives you by the name Fast (speed, without limit, extreme, etc) and when you read compatible you think: it is not complete, lag, slow, limited, etc.

My advice is trust the creator of the script and do not be fooled by the names.

@Sinner is right

and the fast version has a huge bug that does not exist in the compatible version.
Compatible > Fast (now it is no longer called compatible, it is called FreshJR_QOS)

and if you have lag I am 99.99% sure that the culprit is "Snapchat", because it is in "others" and that category is used for games or you do not have the "other" category, above the most, but below the category gaming and it's not because of the compatible version...

I do trust the creators, this is solely my opinion. I customized my script per instructions and put snapchat under 'web' vs other since i used the script for gaming. Like i said, never had issues with the fast script and the "bug" you mentioned has never been issue on my end.

I noticed things have changed quite a bit since I originally tested the compatible (before implementing a working solution with the "fast" version). Nonetheless, I decided to go ahead and write new iptables rules to match everything I had in my working "fast" config tonight. It appears to be working so far. I will do more testing tomorrow.

Thanks for your efforts, @FreshJR

@Kingp1n @Tekneek

Before installing this version, you must first uninstall the previous version or you will have problems.

01. If you want to install the script online without having to download anything.
  1. Turn OFF QoS
  2. Uninstall by PuTTY:
    Code:
    /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -uninstall
  3. Install by PuTTY:
    Code:
    curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FreshPr/FreshJR_QOS/master/FreshJR_QOS.sh" -o /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS --create-dirs && sh /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -install
  4. Turn ON QoS

02. If you want to edit it and install it manually, download from here the latest version 7 or Newer.
Uninstall
Code:

Install / Update Guide for Power Users

I recommend using Notepad++ for modifications to the script as it will offer most clarity to what is going on.
This section is intended for users wanting to make changes to the default configuration.
Script Download Link
Windows Install:
You will need putty and pscp, as well as the script.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

You do not have to install these executables, they are portable. Move them, and the script, into a new folder called Putty on your C:\ drive.

It should look like this:
C:\Putty\putty.exe
C:\Putty\pscp.exe
C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS.sh​

1) In command prompt
Code:
cd C:\putty\
pscp -scp C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS.sh admin@192.168.1.1:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
2) In putty
Code:
dos2unix /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
sh /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -install
3) turn ON qos
Mac/Linux Install:

You will need to download the script.

1. In TERMINAL
Code:
scp /users/YOUR_USERNAME/Downloads/FreshJR_QOS.sh admin@192.168.1.1:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS

ssh admin@192.168.1.1

dos2unix /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
sh /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -install
2. turn ON qos

Last edited:
@Kingp1n @Tekneek

Before installing this version, you must first uninstall the previous version or you will have problems.

First:
Code:

Second:

Code:
curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FreshPr/FreshJR_QOS/master/FreshJR_QOS.sh" -o /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS --create-dirs && sh /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -install

@HowIFix the command u mentioned its only if using the fast script correct?

Nvm...just saw the 1st post was updated.

Last edited:
I have not read about that one but queuing disciplines have a lot more impact than schedulers.

Htb is a solid allocation method. No ideas what more you can want from it
I see, was just qurious I vaguely remember something about I that I thought might help with what you wanted to achieve with HTB something about branching I'll have to read it again. I'm not sure if it will help but it was just a suggestion.

Any way thank you for the explanation

There is no placebo effect, only your mind self-deceives you by the name Fast (speed, without limit, extreme, etc) and when you read compatible you think: it is not complete, lag, slow, limited, etc.

@Sinner is right

and the fast version has a huge bug that does not exist in the compatible version.
Compatible > Fast (now it is no longer called compatible, it is called FreshJR_QOS)

if you have lag I am sure that the culprit is "Snapchat", because it is in "others" and that category is used for games or you do not have the category "Others" higher than the others, but below the category "Gaming" and it's not because of the compatible version.

@Sinner is right

if you have lag I am sure that the culprit is "Snapchat", because it is in "others" and that category is used for games or you do not have the category "Others" higher than the others, but below the category "Gaming" and it's not because of the compatible version.
What does this bug entail may I ask?

Thanks for the reminder. I had already learned that the hard way when I had done some experimenting with the different versions a while back.

There are things in this world that it is better not to know.
When you restart the router, all traffic randomly changes categories.
Ohh I see what you mean, I guess that would explan why my router has been acting weird qos has been strangely playing up on the current firmware, when I get home I'll just fix it with the compatible now freshjr qos script, thanks for that.

Thanks for the reminder. I had already learned that the hard way when I had done some experimenting with the different versions a while back.
You also can just format the jfs partition if you don't have any other running scripts, that's my personal plan since I've done it before then I'll just do a fresh re install.

01. If you want to install the script online without having to download anything.
  1. Turn OFF QoS
  2. Uninstall by PuTTY:
    Code:
  3. Install by PuTTY:
    Code:
  4. Turn ON QoS

02. If you want to edit it and install it manually, download from here the latest version 7 or Newer. (uninstall the version you have first)

i read the first page already thanks any way, there are other methods of doing things too lol.

This took a lot of testing over a long period of time but whoo-hoo:
36896938.png

The new script is amazing Thanx fresh also I saw a line that accounts for per packet overheads?

The new script......

Have new lines for tcp and udp ports on gaming traffic.......??

On upload and download rules...????

The new script......

Have new lines for tcp and udp ports on gaming traffic.......??

On upload and download rules...????

Yes that was slightly changed.

It used to be

If unidentifed —> goto gaming

Now it is

If unidentifed && not from ports 80,443
—> goto gaming
else if unidentifed && from ports 80,443
—> goto others

This is more for users who put pcs as gaming devices to help cut down on non-gaming unidentified traffic from going into gaming.

Old rules were probably better for consoles. Doesn’t matter as both should work fine.
Everything is user modifyable if someone needs to revert back manually.

I don’t game much.

Is the new version of the script identical to the alternative version submitted a month ago? or there are changes that requires installing the new one?

Is the new version of the script identical to the alternative version submitted a month ago? or there are changes that requires installing the new one?

Pretty much 99.99% identical.

1) will uninstall fastQOS if a user forgot to do it manually.

2) defaults to eth0 instead of ppp0 for non RMerlin users

3) minor modification to gaming rule per user request

4) combined stock_install and install parameters into one. If a RMerlin firmware is not detected the script will then prompt as to which install process to run

5) spelling fixes

Anyway, all old versions work so no one really has to upgrade.

These changes were primarily to simplify the install process for a group of users who like to complain.

Alternate was chosen as a base since it also worked with a select handfull of odd configurations even though I believe the compatible version was more cpu efficient.

Last edited:
Pretty much 99.99% identical.

1) will uninstall fastQOS if a user forgot to do it manually.

2) defaults to eth0 instead of ppp0 for non RMerlin users

3) minor modification to gaming rule per user request

4) combined stock_install and install parameters into one. If a RMerlin firmware is not detected the script will then prompt as to which install process to run

5) spelling fixes

Anyway, all old versions work so no one really has to upgrade.

These changes were primarily to simplify the install process for a group of users who like to complain.

Alternate was chosen as a base since it also worked with a select handfull of odd configurations even though I believe the compatible version was more cpu efficient.
Really guys if you have the alternative script installed already, and it is working, stick with it. Nothing new in the new script version that affects performance.

Yes that was slightly changed.

It used to be

If unidentifed —> goto gaming

Now it is

If unidentifed && not from ports 80,443
—> goto gaming
else if unidentifed && from ports 80,443
—> goto others

This is more for users who put pcs as gaming devices to help cut down on non-gaming unidentified traffic from going into gaming.

Old rules were probably better for consoles. Doesn’t matter as both should work fine.
Everything is user modifyable if someone needs to revert back manually.

I don’t game much.

I do not understand :oops:

In the Gaming rules I have this IP: 192.168.2.12 because it is the IP address of my consoles. (12-15)

I have to add 192.168.2.12 in the new rules 80 and 443? (the same IP that i use in the Gaming rules for my consoles?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!