What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Skeal is answering for everybody again, anyway if you look at the photo, you can see that in the classification boxes, it is giving full descriptions of settings rather than the actual classification name.
That work for you, Mr. moderator?

I see Skeal is answering for everybody again, anyway if you look at the photo, you can see that in the classification boxes, it is giving full descriptions of settings rather than the actual classification name.
Did you use the beta version? I had those issues on the beta version page. Maybe it didn’t overwrite on upgrade?

My mistake I did not see the photo :oops: thank you for your kind words. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, would you look at that, the original post had no photo, that work for you Mr. Moderator? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Somethings wrong with my install on AX88U.

Will look into it.

The script page is based off my A68U.

It could be the csse that some routers require a different set of references to the string parameters that resolve into category names for the user chosen language.

(Or I can take the easy way out and just hard code it into English instead of grabbing language strings if this string reference not only change between router models but also keep changing around during firmware updates)

Last edited:
I'm also having issues seeing the Classification tab after installation. Tried to turn off QoS and start it again, uninstalling with QoS off and reinstalling etc.. It does not work for me :( It's an
RT-AC86U running 384.8_2 with English language.

Edit: I'll try updating my firmware

Would you look at that. It solved the issue!

Maybe im just stupid but i'd reccomend updating the installation post and clarify to double check firmware versions for those for who are behind a few releases.

I got a question for the ones who know Fresh's script well. When it comes to editing the script, that isn't really my thing, as I don't know exactly how to edit everything correctly. I know with V8 @FreshJR has made his script a lot more user friendly for us noobs.

Well I really want to change the order in which all classes are set. As from what I can see.. "Net Control Packets" are set as the top priority, then gaming etc.. I could be wrong, I just going off how things look via the webgui "Traffic classification" tab. If that's the correct order, I want to change it. I don't want "Net Control Packets" as top priority. As I have seen web browsing video's play, and get put under that class.

So personally I would like My classes to be set like this... VoIP and Instant Messaging, Gaming, Net Control Packets, Video and Audio Streaming, Others, Web Surfing, Game Transferring, and File Transferring. So if there's any easy way for me to reorder class priority list, I would love to know how.

EDIT: I pulled up the menu via SSH, and it doesn't appear there's a way to move around the priority classes this way. So it seems like something that would require manually editing the script itself, and honestly that isn't something i'm comfortable doing myself.

Last edited:
Hi, how does the AppDB thing work? I see that I play some obscure games but sure enough your amazing script already know what it is!

Is the AppDB compiled by you or is it like a huge project where anyone can contribute? :)

@lilstone87

There shouldn’t be any videos in net control. I just added a third entry appdb to remove more http traffic from net control.

That should be the final one but I never really saw much traffic from that third one. Keep me updated if you see more traffic in that section.

@Telavus

Appdb deep packet inspection is closed source and the database is maintained by trend micro.

You can click on any name in the tracked connections page to see its mark.

Consider the gaming rule for your game. It works well for games not currently detected

@FreshJR Well here's an example for you. I went to NFL's website, and I was watching a highlight video of theirs, and while that video was playing, data for that video was being passed under the "Net Control Packets" on the Traffic classification page. You could test yourself if you would like.

EDIT: Also this was for sure well after 5 minutes of QoS being reloaded as well. For some reason video's on NFL's website gets pushed under "Net Control Packets". Which concerns me a bit, and makes me curious if some other site's web videos will do the same.

EDIT2: Well I'm 110% sure about 30-45 minutes ago, I noticed this happen, and it was 20-30 minutes after I had installed, and restarted QoS. I just tried again now, and it seems traffic is being put in the correct class. Maybe a glitch a little bit earlier. I will monitor some more over the next day, or two. If I see it happen again. I will report it back here. I'm not trying to cause anyone a headache.. I just don't want any web video traffic being shown under "Net Control Packets".

Last edited:
Okay, so I play an ancient game named RuneScape. The game has over 200 official servers. But here's the problem.

When I play on the world I usually play on, "World 349" I see that it gets classified:

55385 91.235.140.148 80
Game Transfering: RuneScape
tcp

55377 91.235.140.148 80
Game Transfering: RuneScape
tcp

However, it gets classified as "Game Transffering" which is kind of inaccurate, but I understand why it would be classified as that (It used to be a browser game and its made to be run behind most firewalls)

Another issue is that not all of the servers I connect to are classified right. (As in some gets tagged as Game Transffering and others are not marked at all)
Its marked as: 08004b

I tried to add an entry for the AppDB redirection but it still wont be rebranded to Gaming instead of Game Transffering. I need to solve these issues, can you help me? :)

Example world not being tagged at all: 8.42.17.166, which is a US based "World 353"
Example world being tagged but tagged wrongly: 91.235.140.148, which is a UK based "World 349"

Last edited:
@Telavus thats because in your example
Runescape is hosted on (remote) port 80, tcp, and it falls under the 08**** ranges.

Usually that stuff is a game file transfer but not in your case. The rule is working as expected and it does more good then harm.

So create an additional rule only filtering on 08004b in the ipv4 section and it will override that (game transferring) for that specific game.

Having it in the AppDB section wouldn’t be evaluated if you refer to the rule precidence I posted before.

When traffic is unidentified the other gameing rule should kick in.

Also if RuneScape is the only active connection in “game transferring” it’s the same as it being in the “gaming”. When individual sections are operating within the minimum guaranteed rates, the vertical position doesn’t matter and treatment is equal.

The verticals priority only decides where excess bandwidth goes.

@lilstone87 the reason for that happening is that only new connections are placed into the scripts updated appdb destinations. Existing connections maintain the original destination.

If the nfl stream was open during the 5minute wait, it would remain in the net control section that I don’t agree with.

Keep an eye on it

Last edited:
Nice and thanks for the help. Any way to rename the rules? I think I read before that there was some memory limitation before but maybe its not the case anymore?

I will be checking in on this if if doesn’t resolve itself in the coming days on your end.

So a little info on what happened

The device filter correctly pulled the fire stick assigned IP and mac address from the nvram entry.

Next names & macs of every device ever connected are stored in (/jffs/nmp_cl_json.js )

It seems that the mac of your firestick did not resolve into a device name from the above database.

Either the database wasn’t updated yet to contain an entry with your fire stick information, or I have a bug with how I resolve the name associated with the MAC address.

I will give it a day in hopes of the database updating itself with the fire stick entry. If not I will be looking into it.

Do they really use entware for that??!? I think a simple alias assignment would work on boot. I will be looking into adding this feature.

Other feedback also appreciated. Keep it coming.
@FreshJR So little update...Noticed earlier that ipad I had with me all weekend (wasn't home after install) showed as DEBUG: DHCP, opening it up and running it for a bit, it finally updated to the name of iPad. As for the firestick I turned it on to let it run for a bit. It no longer shows DEBUG:NVRAM but changed to DEBUG:DHCP. Will watch to see if this finally updates as well.

@FreshJR So little update...Noticed earlier that ipad I had with me all weekend (wasn't home after install) showed as DEBUG: DHCP, opening it up and running it for a bit, it finally updated to the name of iPad. As for the firestick I turned it on to let it run for a bit. It no longer shows DEBUG:NVRAM but changed to DEBUG:DHCP. Will watch to see if this finally updates as well.

When this happens can you (in chrome)

open the classification page -> right click -> select inspect (element / developer tools) -> go to console -> type in device

1) Check if the affected macs in device are in uppercase.

Next type in clientlist

2) Check if all the macs in clientlist are uppercase.

I am thinking maybe some macs are lowercase in one of the two variables.

Last edited:
@FreshJR. Thank you for the updated QOS Scripts. I just updated from an older Merlin release and your old v1 script to the latest Merlin and your latest script. That was easy. I did have an issue when I first updated Merlin and added your QOS script. I couldn't see your customizaton button. Since I did a dirty flash to the latest Merlin - to see if it could be done, I did a factory reset and reinstall of your script and all was good. My issue was nothing on your end - but I could say that if people have issues seeing your changes, try a factory reset.

Thank you again,
- L

Status
Not open for further replies.