What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the output of "uname -o"? That's the only check it does to determine Merlin. It should be "ASUSWRT-Merlin"

To my surprise it is “GNU/Linux”

ok heres a real world need, large house with super fast fibre. the main man who pays for all this stuff (me) plays on a PC. hes played for 15 years with online shooter multiplayers. everythning is high end all to get the best ping/FPS .
in the house are TV's ,phones, sky box and an Xbox.
this means the PC game is getting stuffed over as the default router is baba and cannot sort the traffic out. so i buy an RT-AC86u as it has QOS and seems to be aimed at gamer types. oops no its not. when i set it to gamer mode it thinks the gamer is the Xbox. theres no way to select one source over the other, the drop down box with games listed on it dont contain BFV ??

so when the step son is at home and on the x box its imposible to play just bs laggfest. the would think asus cannot be this bad

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you are able to define local ports in your torrent client you choose a single port (or range) and then create a rule for this range in the Fresh qos page redirecting the traffic wherever you wish.
Maybe a noob question, but for example I do have local IP, port range, protocol, but for "remote port" can I leave it in blank?
And what about "mark"?

Finally, I do see for lines to add stuff under iptables and appdb, can I add more if needed?
Thanks!

A noob guide would be great :)

Sent from my SM-G965F Duos

@Tuco gonna need to find out if your pc game is identified. With apps analysis on is it listed as anything specific?

Since you are able to define local ports in your torrent client you choose a single port (or range) and then create a rule for this range in the Fresh qos page redirecting the traffic wherever you wish.
I'm not sure this method will work.
I created a rule to redirect all torrent traffic to 'File Transfer'. However, around 50% of this traffic is redirected to 'Other'.

My torrent client is using the port assigned to it as well as numerous other ports.

If the information in the thread linked below is correct (and I understood it correctly), the torrent client will use the assigned port to establish new connections. Then it will be handed over to dynamically assigned ports.
https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?t=15275&p=66506

Last edited:
Quick question: If I turn OFF Adaptive QOS in the Asus gui - does that essentially DISABLE this script or do I have to uninstall it to fisable iot from running?

Hello, I've been running this script with the gaming rule enabled for well over a year now. It's been a while since I installed/updated, and I see there is a new way to do it direct from putty/curl, as well as new GUI options it appears. Can I update my older version using this method direct on my router, and if so, will that keep the gaming rule intact?

Or should I go with a manual re-install?

Running Merlin, soon to be latest version on a AC68U.

Thanks for the great script and support!

Hello, I've been running this script with the gaming rule enabled for well over a year now. It's been a while since I installed/updated, and I see there is a new way to do it direct from putty/curl, as well as new GUI options it appears. Can I update my older version using this method direct on my router, and if so, will that keep the gaming rule intact?

Or should I go with a manual re-install?

Running Merlin, soon to be latest version on a AC68U.

Thanks for the great script and support!

If what you're using is working for you, I would wait until FreshJR releases his new script (I think it should be soonish). :)

I would also recommend upgrading to the latest RMerlin firmware and afterward following the M&M Config guide in my signature below. Then, use the amtm Step-by-Step guide (also found in the link below in my signature) to properly prepare a USB drive and have access to the latest scripts, including Diversion, pixelserv-tls, Entware and many other useful scripts too. :)

Now that I have the RT AX88U I'm extremely excited for the next magical relase and fresh keep up the amazing work, you and Merlin are both legends.

I'm really now curious as to how the quad core CPU affect QoS preformace and responsiveness, one of the reasons I for it because Im under the impression that my 88u is becoming sluggish in QoS responsiveness though granted it probably needs a good factory reset to get it going but atlest my family is going to be happy now it's going to them.

My cousin can finally stop complaining about the lack of QoS in the ISP router.

Report: Using FreshJR QOS on main RT-AC68U (Main, RMerlin 384.11_2) + RT-AC56U (Media Bridge, john9527's 374.43_39E3j9527 LTS fork).

Additional Scripts used: amtm, Diversion, pixelserv-tls, Skynet, YazFi, ntpMerlin, connmon, scMerlin, uiDivStats on 1GB USB drive in USB 2.0 mode on the RT-AC68U.

Switched customers ISP supplied DSL modem/router to the above setup from a nominal 25Mbps download and 2.5Mbps upload speeds. The home is around 3,5ooSqFt and the area covered is over 6,000SqFt (including the driveway and backyard).

At the customer's request, I tried simply adding the Asus' setup describe above using customer's SSID's and in a double-Nat setup behind the ISP supplied modem/router. But the network experience did not improve much from the sluggish and extremely laggy one vs. just using the ISP supplied modem/router (both tested with about 25 client devices connected, including vehicles in the driveway too). Of course, I had disabled the WiFi radio on the ISP supplied modem during the test with the Asus' setup.

Next, I created new SSID's and while the customers saw improvements immediately after they had connected around 20 of their devices, I was still not happy with the network as-is. A few speed tests (from a wired GbE client, and before anyone else had connected onto the network) showed that there was a lot of bufferbloat and the up/down speeds fluctuated wildly, each time a test was run.

Afterward, I fully and properly bridged the ISP's modem/router, created new 'secret' SSID's (so that the network was all mine for the tuning I would be doing next) and proceeded to tune Adaptive QoS while using the FreshJR script. In only 4 iterations, I had greatly improved the internet experience for my customers. Going from the worst (-) grades in dslreports.com to A+, A, A+ in a little over 60 minutes from when I had first walked in.

Creating new SSID's once more for the customers (I want this to be as 'clean' an installation as possible!), we quickly connected the RT-AC56U (Media Bridge) and the rest of the client devices. With 2 4K TV's streaming Netflix, half a dozen people on their phones (one or two using facetime) and a large download a wired computer user had initiated (GPU driver), the system still felt responsive and much faster than it ever had. With the added bonus of no one client being able to hog the bandwidth and effectively shutting out all others too!

Cutting out a lot of the advertising bandwidth used via Diversion/pixelserv-tls didn't hurt either to achieve these results. :)

This was just using the FreshJR QOS defaults, the only changes were made in the up/down fields in the Adaptive QoS in the GUI. The final numbers were shocking to the customers (15 down, 0.6 up), but they couldn't deny the results. :)

While the above may be expected results when replacing ISP supplied routers with Asus/RMerlin/john9527 powered units, it is still surprising considering that the RT-AC68U and the RT-AC56U are both over half a decade old today.

The RT-AC56U makes for a fast and stable Media Bridge and I often recommend them over PCIe solutions for desktop users, but they are becoming scarce now.

Great work by @FreshJR, @RMerlin, @john9527 and all the great script-writers including @Adamm, @thelonelycoder, @Jack Yaz, @kvic and everyone else who contributes (like @ColinTaylor and @themiron!) that I am forgetting right now too.

All the greats above have come together to create a network environment that is so much more than just the sum of the parts.

A sincere thank you to all for giving us this level of network excellence in a way that benefits even 'mere' consumers.

(Be expecting further donations by the above customer soon). :)

That's some great information, L&LD.

However, I'm surprised that a 15/0.6 mbps Internet connection could adequately supply 2 simultaneous 4K Netflix streams (let alone the remaining activity)... Impressive.

That's some great information, L&LD.

However, I'm surprised that a 15/0.6 mbps Internet connection could adequately supply 2 simultaneous 4K Netflix streams (let alone the remaining activity)... Impressive.

I'm not sure if they were both 4K streams (the TV's were 4K, of course). I do know that they were started separately in each room. :)

Note that the ISP speeds are 25/2.5Mbps nominal and they could reach and surpass that with very high latency up to around 30/15Mbps down/up, but the 15/0.6Mbps down/up is what worked the best overall and what I left entered in the Adaptive QoS fields. ;)

I was a little surprised too at first, but the network was working much, much more efficiently (strong 5GHz at 80MHz bandwidth connections vs. weak 2.4GHz at 20MHz bandwidth previously) and with greatly reduced lag and bufferbloat.

I'm sure caching was also involved too on the TV's, but with FreshJR's script disabled, there was almost no performance increase over the ISP supplied modem/router when more than a few devices were connected and used concurrently, even with no streaming involved.

The best example of FreshJR's script yesterday there was the downloading of the huge GPU driver which was happening at just under 1Mbps (average) and not interrupting with any other users internet use either. Previously, the internet would have 'crashed' for most of the other users on WiFi when the wired desktop was using the connection.

I did a quick followup today with that customer and they are very happy and are still greatly impressed. They had a large family get-together after I had finished and the whole network was solid with about 45 or 50 devices connected in total (about half wirelessly), even if they had to turn off Netflix on one TV. :)

I had made a point to them that 5GHz/80MHz bandwidth was making this possible and they took this to heart. They didn't let anyone connect to the 2.4GHz radio yesterday and asked me how to disable it (totally) today. lol... Needless to say, they're believers now. :)

you're saying you're covering +/-6000sqft with two 5ghz radios? that's some good antenna positioning, enlightened RF tuning and a nice quiet radio environment...
I've got to play with my setup some...

you're saying you're covering +/-6000sqft with two 5ghz radios? that's some good antenna positioning, enlightened RF tuning and a nice quiet radio environment...
I've got to play with my setup some...

Actually, just 1, 3x 3Stream 5GHz radio on the RT-AC68U (with the RT-AC56U in Media Bridge mode using only the LAN ports for media devices). :)

Yes, the WiFi environment is almost ideal there, even if the ISP provided speeds are sorely lacking. :)

The router is placed effectively in the center of the required coverage area and the 'back yard/patio' is just on the outside wall (let's call it the 'West' end).

The RT-AC56U in Media Bridge mode is on one end about 50' away (let's call it the 'South' end) and the driveway is on the other end about 35' away (let's call it the 'North' end).

Immediately East of the router is the main living area, (including the bedrooms past the LR that need WiFi) up to about 65' away (diagonally).

The total square footage is probably bigger, but I am not counting potential SqFt, I am doing my best guestimating at the actual that is used. :)

The original ISP supplied router was located in the same room, but I made some additional adjustments to the new routers orientation and placement.

Relative to the ISP supplied modem/router, I moved the location of the RT-AC68U approximately 18" towards North, same relative East/West location, but raised it by about 46" (to get at least 10' above the outside ground level and better clear some of the bigger obstacles like fridge/freezer and large furniture between router and furthest rooms). I also rotated it to face South, Southeast where the original router was facing due East.

Note that the router's antennae were still almost 5' below the ceilings, even after raising it almost 4'. Bar stools on tables make excellent router stands when you're experimenting. :)

These relatively small adjustments allowed the furthest bedroom with a 4K TV and Youtube/Netflix need to have a reliable signal while only affecting the rest of the areas rather minimally.

I want to emphasize here that I do not rely on using WiFi 'apps' or other equipment to make these adjustments. They just slow me down and when I did use them many years ago, they almost never predicted the best Control Channels, placement or orientation of the router and its antennae.

I tune the networks to be as responsive as possible, and not to just have the highest throughput possible for any one area or device.

I will be interested in your results from your experimenting. :)

I suspect that getting my ac86 more centrally located and as high as possible in the multi-level house will significantly improve coverage property-wide. The dream is to have my phone connect as soon as I pull in the driveway, 100’ or so from where I’m thinking it should be living. I’ll be ecstatic if that’s on the 5g band, but I won’t know until I try. Stay tuned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do we know there's an update to this amazing script? At the same, how do we update it? Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.