What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to create a new category that holds within it all windows updates traffic and limit it whenever needed?

This will solve all my issues...

Can you please explain in details how to do so ?i'm trying to learn.

Results are as expected (same as they were before I made the script)

Without the script:

-net control will have https transfers and will choke everything beneath it

-default will contain unifentified traffic but it will be choked since file transfer && video streaming are bulk bandwidth categories who have bandwidth priority over unidenfied such as game protocols && misc transfers

-voip can use a boost for classifying WiFi calling && facetime

-guaranteed rates can use tweaking so nothing gets choked completely even with a saturated network

So yup, modifications from the script are still recommended.
upload_2019-5-25_0-17-10.png

this is my current with the script... i feel sad though it looks like web surfing is eating up everything... i am wondering if i should move up video and audio streaming ...

@Swistheater

Why would you want to move it up.

Let’s say you have a 20mbps connection and video streaming has 30% reserved = 6mbps alloted

Which means (0.3) 4K streams , (1.5) 1080p streams, or (3) 720p streams are guaranteed.

But since web surfing is bursty traffic and video streaming is continuous flow so if you give priority to web, your web surfing will NOT be choked and but the (2) video streams can remain 1080p since when web surfing is idle the bandwidth will flow down to maintain both of them.

Video is buffered 30sec-few min ahead of time, it is okay to choke a stream intermittently to prioritize other traffic. The buffer will continue building when the other traffic is exhibiting idle periods.

I don’t prioritize video streaming, file downloads, or game downloads on my own setup and it is what I recommend for 99% of connections.

Just think about what is happening when prioritizing traffic. I recommend the first post setup for MOST connections.

Worst case is that everyone downgraded to 720p but that is WAYYY better than having bufferbloat and waiting 2sec per page load.

Now if you have a connection that guarentees (5) 1080p streams and have (5) family members FORGET about offering excess bandwidth to video streaming.

But it’s not like the first post recommendation is set in stone since I made all the parameters configurable. (I could of easily forced one setup for all users with no options)

For anyone nott understanding the mechanics at play, use the recommended options and call it a day.

Last edited:
@Swistheater

Why would you want to move it up.

Let’s say you have a 20mbps connection and video streaming has 30% reserved = 6mbps alloted

Which means (0.3) 4K streams , (1.5) 1080p streams, or (3) 720p streams are guaranteed.

But since web surfing is bursty traffic and video streaming is continuous flow so if you give priority to web, your web surfing will NOT be choked and but the (2) video streams can remain 1080p since when web surfing is idle the bandwidth will flow down to maintain both of them.

Video is buffered 30sec-few min ahead of time, it is okay to choke a stream intermittently to prioritize other traffic. The buffer will continue building when the other traffic is exhibiting idle periods.

I don’t prioritize video streaming, file downloads, or game downloads on my own setup and it is what I recommend for 99% of connections.

Just think about what is happening when prioritizing traffic. I recommend the first post setup for MOST connections.

Worst case is that everyone downgraded to 720p but that is WAYYY better than having bufferbloat and waiting 2sec per page load.

Now if you have a connection that guarentees (5) 1080p streams and have (5) family members FORGET about offering excess bandwidth to video streaming.

But it’s not like the first post recommendation is set in stone since I made all the parameters configurable. (I could of easily forced once setup for all users with no options)
I like what you said. You are the QOS guru.:D:D

Is it possible to create a new category that holds within it all windows updates traffic and limit it whenever needed?

This will solve all my issues...

Can you please explain in details how to do so ?i'm trying to learn.

Windows updates should go into file downloads.

Where are yours going?

If it’s HTTPS->(web surfing) then maybe make a rule for your ISP CDN servers.

If that doesn’t work, revert to old school methods of scheduling updates during an idle network time frame.

There’s a solution for most issues if you get creative.

Where are yours going?

If that doesn’t work, revert to old school methods of scheduling updates during an idle network time frame.

One of the biggest issues is the shared updates download option on windows 10. You want to tell that to only share connection with your local network and not with their server. This should cut down on alot of qos loss

One of the biggest issues is the shared download option on windows 10. You want to tell that to only share connection with your local network and not with their server.

I think you are misunderstanding the feature.

The shared updates feature means that one device downloads the update via the network(isp connection) and it should then share/mirror the downloaded update via LAN(local network) to the other devices.

Aka 1 device downloads a 4gb patch, and then the remaining devices pull the patch from the first device via the local network instead of bogging down the internet connecting redownloading the same data.

So if you have 5 devices you download the patch once instead of 5 times.

It’s supposed to significantly reduce bandwidth ushae.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20190525-020559220.jpg

This is what the p2p shared updates page looks like on windows 10. You should disable this. Or make it only local.

There is an option to share your connection with pcs on the internet as well

View attachment 17776
This is what the p2p shared updates page looks like on windows 10. You should disable this. Or make it only local.

Oh wow, they now started to p2p the downloaded updates outside the local network.

No don’t disable the feature, just limit the distribution to within your LAN.

With correct upload limits your network still shouldn’t hiccup even when p2p’ing the updates outside the local network. eg, you should be able to run torrent without upload/download limits if QOS limits are set correctly.

Last edited:
Oh wow, they now started to p2p the downloaded updates outside the network.

No don’t disable the feature, just limit the distribution to within your LAN.
That is what I was meaning this will save him from having to prioritize it if he is only dealing with it locally. I think it shows up as http traffic or web traffic and is not identified as p2p, it would probably show up as a web traffic to akamai.net.

Last edited:
I think you are misunderstanding the feature.

The shared updates feature means that one device downloads the update via the network(isp connection) it should then share/mirror the downloaded update via LAN(local network) to the other devices.

Aka 1 device downloads a 4gb patch, and then the remaining devices pull the patch from the first device via the local network instead of bogging down the internet connecting redownloading the same data.

So if you have 5 devices you download the patch once instead of 5 times.

It’s supposed to significantly reduce bandwidth ushae.

Ever worked with you?

Where are yours going?

Can you please explain the ISP CDN part?

Ever worked with you?

Not sure if the windows p2p feature works, but on an android tablet I had a torrent client background instead of closing and it ran until I got a letter from the ISP about seeding content before I noticed that the client was seeding FULL SPEED for a few months.

During those months, I noticed zero difference with regards regular network responsiveness/pings while seeding the content full speed.

QOS work so well with my connection I never notice the network upload was continually saturated.

Guess I’m lucky with my setup compared to your reports.

(Since windows10 release, I hate the lack of privacy and the liberties windows will now gladly take with my regards to my computational/network resources and respect to personal data. I am moving towards a full MacOS + Linux environment. So I will not be in a position to comment on windows behavior. Never really liked the quality of their software, so I guess don’t let the door hit me on the way out. Its spyware/adware as far as I’m concerned. )

Can you please explain the ISP CDN part?

Let’s say you need a 500mb driver from your video card manufacturer.

Now let’s say the manufacturers website is located in Dallas,TX and you are located in Chicago,IL.

Every time the driver would have to be downloaded the content would have to travel from TX -> IL.

To reduce network strain your ISP runs caching servers.

If the driver update was cached by your ISP CDN, then instead of the update traveling from TX->IL per request, it would travel from the isp cache CDN server (IL) to your device (IL).

This cached copy elimiates 1000miles of travel per driver request if the isp deemed the content popular enough to cache on its servers.

Your ISP typically caches popular downloads or popular videos(netflix,etc) to reduce network strain.

This all happens behind the scenes. If your isp uses HTTP for its cache server then DPI can still do its job but if your ISP uses HTTPS then then the content will go into web surfing.

If you can create a rule for your isp cdn servers then you can force all CDN data to go into “file downloads”

Eg. A popular steam download will most likely be supplied from your ISP cache server instead of directly from valve servers.

This reduces global network strain but if the CDN uses https it is hard to identify what the traffic contains via DPI. If so, cached content will most likely go into web sufing instead of file downloads / video streaming / game transferring without defining an explicit rule.

It’s just how the internet works behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Not sure if the windows p2p feature works, but on an android tablet I had a torrent client background instead of closing and it ran until I got a letter from the ISP about seeding content before I noticed that the client was seeding FULL SPEED for a few months.

During those months, I noticed zero difference with regards regular network responsiveness/pings while seeding the content full speed.

QOS work so well with my connection I never notice the network upload was continually saturated.

Guess I’m lucky with my setup compared to your reports.

(Since windows10 release, I hate the lack of privacy and the liberties windows will now gladly take with my regards to my computational/network resources and respect to personal data. I am moving towards a full MacOS + Linux environment. So I will not be in a position to comment on windows behavior. Never really liked the quality of their software, so I guess don’t let the door hit me on the way out. Its spyware/adware as far as I’m concerned. )

Let’s say you need a 500mb driver from your video card manufacturer.

Now let’s say the manufacturers website is located in Dallas,TX and you are located in Chicago,IL.

Every time the driver would have to be downloaded the content would have to travel from TX -> IL.

To reduce network strain your ISP runs caching servers.

If the driver update was cached by your ISP CDN, then instead of the update traveling from TX->IL per request, it would travel from the isp cache CDN server (IL) to your device (IL).

This cached copy elimiates 1000miles of travel per driver request if the isp deemed the content popular enough to cache on its servers.

Your ISP typically caches popular downloads or popular videos(netflix,etc) to reduce network strain.

This all happens behind the scenes. If your isp uses HTTP for its cache server then DPI can still do its job but if your ISP uses HTTPS then then the content will go into web surfing.

If you can create a rule for your isp cdn servers then you can force all CDN data to go into “file downloads”

Eg. A popular steam download will most likely be supplied from your ISP cache server instead of directly from valve servers.

This reduces global network strain but if the CDN uses https it is hard to identify what the traffic contains via DPI. If so, cached content will most likely go into web sufing instead of file downloads / video streaming / game transferring without defining an explicit rule.

It’s just how the internet works behind the scenes.

Ok, please pardon my arrogance, here is my situation, I have my main PC downloading various stuff Games & File Downloads and using ALL my bandwidth.

I have another streaming device which I WISH to have it stream without interruption due to the downloads happening on my PC.

The IP of the streaming device is 192.1682.2.38 using local ports 6880-6889 (mainly) and as well as other random ports.

Now how can I give THIS device priority above all? OR have correct streaming traffic goes above all other traffic?

The IP of the streaming device is 192.1682.2.38 using local ports 6880-6889 (mainly) and as well as other random ports.

Now how can I give THIS device priority above all? OR have correct streaming traffic goes above all other traffic?

If it’s a single purpose device, eg FireTV, AppleTV, etc, just stick all its traffic into net control or whatever category you deem appropriate.

To identity it via QOS you can create a rule for all its traffic via its localIP address

(Personally I would stick it into VideoSteaming instead of NetControl)

If it’s a single purpose device, eg FireTV, AppleTV, etc, just stick all its traffic into net control or whatever category you deem appropriate.

To identity it via QOS you can create a rule for all its traffic via its localIP address

Im sorry, i tried to truly follow your guide but i couldnt, can you explain to me how to do so?

Im sorry, i tried to truly follow your guide but i couldnt, can you explain to me how to do so?

1) Get the devices currently assigned IP or assign it a static IP via the router

2) create a QOS rule so traffic dealing with the assigned IP or statically defined IP goes —> Streaming or NetControl

In the end you are creating a rule with only the localIP defined. (Local device means any device on your side of the router)

Status
Not open for further replies.