What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I tried with all path and I tried execute the script from the scripts folder. Very strange since other scripts works fine...
Does it show properly in the GUI (as in the webpage-->Adaptive QOS-->Classification Tab?)

I am using SuperPuTTY. I just write down the script name in the script directory but the system says that does not exist..

The alias output is as follow:
Code:
mc='mc -c'
l='ls -lFA'
js='cd /jffs/scripts'
logdir='cd /opt/var/log'
jc='cd /jffs/configs'
fwmarkstats='iptables -nvL PREROUTING -t mangle --line'
ll='ls -lF'

Seems to me ok.
The freshjr aliases are in /jffs/configs/profile.add. One time I had found that the permissions were 644. I changed them to 755 and the aliases began to work again.
Code:
# cat /jffs/configs/profile.add
alias freshjr="sh /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -menu"
alias freshjrqos="sh /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -menu"
alias freshjr_qos="sh /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -menu"
alias FreshJR_QOS="sh /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -menu"
alias myjs="cd /jffs/scripts"
alias myjc="cd /jffs/configs"
alias mysh="cd /tmp/mnt/smb/share"
alias mylog="cd /opt/var/log"
By the way, /jffs/scripts is not in the PATH, running scripts from within the directory would require dot slash prepended.

So i came home with fresh jr running for atleast 12 hours now and my
/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -debug
shows
Code:
FreshJR QOS v8.8
Debug:

adaptive QOS: Undf Prio: 2
adaptive QOS: Undf FlowID: 1:17
adaptive QOS: Classes Present: 8
adaptive QOS: Down Band: 291840
adaptive QOS: Up Band  : 24320
adaptive QOS: ***********
adaptive QOS: Net = 1:10
adaptive QOS: VOIP = 1:11
adaptive QOS: Gaming = 1:12
adaptive QOS: Others = 1:13
adaptive QOS: Web = 1:14
adaptive QOS: Streaming = 1:15
adaptive QOS: Downloads = 1:16
adaptive QOS: Defaults = 1:17
adaptive QOS: Downrates -- 14592, 58368, 43776, 29184, 29184, 87552, 14592, 1452
adaptive QOS: Downceils -- 291840, 291840, 291840, 291840, 291840, 291840, 29180
adaptive QOS: Downbursts -- 17597b, 71989b, 35195b, 17597b, 14397b, 9598b, 6399b
adaptive QOS: DownCbursts -- 364800b, 364800b, 364800b, 364800b, 364800b, 36480b
adaptive QOS: Uprates -- 1216, 4864, 3648, 7296, 2432, 2432, 1216, 1216
adaptive QOS: Upciels -- 24320, 24320, 24320, 24320, 24320, 24320, 24320, 24320
adaptive QOS: Upbursts -- 3199b, 4798b, 3199b, 3199b, 3199b, 3199b, 3199b, 3199b
adaptive QOS: UpCbursts -- 30400b, 30400b, 30400b, 30400b, 30400b, 30400b, 3040b

So i came home with fresh jr running for atleast 12 hours now and my
/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -debug
shows
Code:
FreshJR QOS v8.8
Debug:

adaptive QOS: Undf Prio: 2
adaptive QOS: Undf FlowID: 1:17
adaptive QOS: Classes Present: 8
adaptive QOS: Down Band: 291840
adaptive QOS: Up Band  : 24320
adaptive QOS: Net = 1:10
adaptive QOS: VOIP = 1:11
adaptive QOS: Gaming = 1:12
adaptive QOS: Others = 1:13
adaptive QOS: Web = 1:14
adaptive QOS: Streaming = 1:15
adaptive QOS: Downloads = 1:16
adaptive QOS: Defaults = 1:17
adaptive QOS: Downrates -- 14592, 58368, 43776, 29184, 29184, 87552, 14592, 1452
adaptive QOS: Downceils -- 291840, 291840, 291840, 291840, 291840, 291840, 29180
adaptive QOS: Downbursts -- 17597b, 71989b, 35195b, 17597b, 14397b, 9598b, 6399b
adaptive QOS: DownCbursts -- 364800b, 364800b, 364800b, 364800b, 364800b, 36480b
adaptive QOS: Uprates -- 1216, 4864, 3648, 7296, 2432, 2432, 1216, 1216
adaptive QOS: Upciels -- 24320, 24320, 24320, 24320, 24320, 24320, 24320, 24320
adaptive QOS: Upbursts -- 3199b, 4798b, 3199b, 3199b, 3199b, 3199b, 3199b, 3199b
adaptive QOS: UpCbursts -- 30400b, 30400b, 30400b, 30400b, 30400b, 30400b, 3040b

There’s a built in check once every 24hrs to see if the script has to reactivate it’s modifications.

Your current debug output has modifications NOT enabled, but the daily check should catch the inactive status and fix it.

An inactive status rarely happens so it’s not a big cause of worry.

White text on a grey background is quite hard to read. maybe make the grey in the iptables rules and AppDB Redirection table darker, but not as dark as the background color.

That UI behavior is intended.

The contrast readability appears fine on my drives. The washed out / “greyed” means those field are not available for user modication/configuration.

Those fields are hardcoded. They are just shown show the user had a sense of what is happening behind the scenes.

Sorry if this has been asked, but does Apps analysis need to be on for adaptive QOS? Any downside to turning it off?

No it doesn’t need to running/toggled for QoS to function.

Technically “AppAnayslis” is always running whenever QoS is enabled.

The “App analysis” toggle simple just enables extra data via UI. AppAnalysis/DPI will still occur with the feature off.

Last edited:
There’s a built in check once every 24hrs to see if the script has to reactivate it’s modifications.

Your current debug output has modifications NOT enabled, but the daily check should catch the inactive status and fix it.

An inactive status rarely happens so it’s not a big cause of worry.
one thing i am noticing on my classification list is the unidentified traffic is still showing it has been added to others even tho the script command doesn't imply this..

one thing i am noticing on my classification list is the unidentified traffic is still showing it has been added to others even tho the script command doesn't imply this..

That’s the first rule under AppDB

Untracked -> Others.

It’s a rule present since v1.0 of the script.

That behavior is intended.

So with fq_codel and manual settings my dl/ul are set to 32/2.7 but every time I run dsl speed test my upload is choked very low like to 1.5 on average. Without Adaptive QoS it's higher. What's that from?

Does it show properly in the GUI (as in the webpage-->Adaptive QOS-->Classification Tab?)
Yes, it works fine in the GUI...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Yes, it works fine in the GUI...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Not sure if it’s been suggested or done but I’d try a uninstall reinstall just to make sure it downloaded everything. Then reboot and wait a few moments. Then make your changes in the GUI, as well as checking using putty or something similar.

Last edited:
That’s the first rule under AppDB

Untracked -> Others.

It’s a rule present since v1.0 of the script.

That behavior is intended.
I figured the issue. I had to add a sleep 5 above the option to start the script in the firewall-start script-- do you have a better option for this. the issue was it was not activating after reboot.

Advice requested. I would like to reduce the upload priority of the Amazon Photos desktop app. Unfortunately, I cannot find anything from Amazon on what IP addresses they use for this app. I could use some advice on how to proceed. On the QoS classification page, I can see connections to Amazon CloudFront, Amazon, and a number of untracked entries to IPs that resolve to aim compute nodes.

So any advice on how to get the Amazon Photos desktop app in to the File Transfer classification would be greatly appreciated.

Advice requested. I would like to reduce the upload priority of the Amazon Photos desktop app. Unfortunately, I cannot find anything from Amazon on what IP addresses they use for this app. I could use some advice on how to proceed. On the QoS classification page, I can see connections to Amazon CloudFront, Amazon, and a number of untracked entries to IPs that resolve to aim compute nodes.

So any advice on how to get the Amazon Photos desktop app in to the File Transfer classification would be greatly appreciated.

What is the actual issue you're seeing? As soon as you do something else that uses a significant upload percentage of your ISP provided speed, it will adjust accordingly.

What are your ISP up/down speeds? :)

What is the actual issue you're seeing? As soon as you do something else that uses a significant upload percentage of your ISP provided speed, it will adjust accordingly.

What are your ISP up/down speeds? :)
10/250

VOIP has the highest priority. We have Ooma, and QOS is a must.
Since Photos appears to be at the same level as web surfing, when Amazon Photos is uploaded, surfing it a little slower. I'm a photographer, and uploading raw files to photos can take hours, if not days.

I installed Little Snitch, and I have a better idea of the IP Addresses used for Photos. It seems very chatty across many IPs, but the uploading seems to be limited to content-na.drive.amazonaws.com

#host content-na.drive.amazonaws.com
content-na.drive.amazonaws.com has address 54.236.175.74
content-na.drive.amazonaws.com has address 52.72.168.42
content-na.drive.amazonaws.com has address 52.87.81.115
content-na.drive.amazonaws.com has address 52.86.237.2
content-na.drive.amazonaws.com has address 54.224.180.126
content-na.drive.amazonaws.com has address 54.210.106.139
content-na.drive.amazonaws.com has address 54.210.175.162
content-na.drive.amazonaws.com has address 52.3.101.181

So, what the easiest way to lower the priority to these IPs? Of is there a way to classify these IPs as file transfer?

Umm, I think it's more complicated that just looking at the above IP addresses. I can see the traffic in the classification visualization as going to Web Surfing. Is there any way to learn which IP address(es) that traffic is going to?

Last edited:
10/250

Since Photos appears to be at the same level as web surfing, when Amazon Photos is uploaded, surfing it a little slower. I'm a photographer, and uploading raw files to photos can take hours, if not days.

I installed Little Snitch, and I have a better idea of the IP Addresses used for Photos. It seems very chatty across many IPs, but the uploading seems to be limited to content-na.drive.amazonaws.com

If you have the recommended QoS Traffic priority as in post 2,
3) I recommend the following QOS traffic priority list.

VoIP
Gaming
Others
Web Surfing
Video and Audio Streaming
File Transfers

Keep in mind that "Unidentified traffic" will flow into "Others" with this script.

Have you tried moving Web Surfing above others, if you use different computers to surf and upload photos with?

If we assume you're uploading photos and web surfing from the same desktop computer, then you will need to find a custom percentage for upload that is possibly much lower than what your actual ISP limits are to ensure you have enough in reserve to keep web surfing snappy.

If you have the recommended QoS Traffic priority as in post 2,

Have you tried moving Web Surfing above others, if you use different computers to surf and upload photos with?

If we assume you're uploading photos and web surfing from the same desktop computer, then you will need to find a custom percentage for upload that is possibly much lower than what your actual ISP limits are to ensure you have enough in reserve to keep web surfing snappy.
I thought I could define specific dest IPs to classifications. The challenge is determining which dest IPs.

update: It appears little snitch does report the IPs. I'm not sure why it puts these under content-na.drive.amazon.com since they resolve differently:

They all resolve to EC2 instances on compute-1.amazonaws.com

Is there any way to set a rule to say something like: classify all traffic to *.compute-1.amazonaws.com as file transfer?

Last edited:
10/250

#host content-na.drive.amazonaws.com
content-na.drive.amazonaws.com has address 54.236.175.74
content-na.drive.amazonaws.com has address 52.72.168.42
content-na.drive.amazonaws.com has address 52.87.81.115
content-na.drive.amazonaws.com has address 52.86.237.2
content-na.drive.amazonaws.com has address 54.224.180.126
content-na.drive.amazonaws.com has address 54.210.106.139
content-na.drive.amazonaws.com has address 54.210.175.162
content-na.drive.amazonaws.com has address 52.3.101.181

So, what the easiest way to lower the priority to these IPs? Of is there a way to classify these IPs as file transfer?

Umm, I think it's more complicated that just looking at the above IP addresses. I can see the traffic in the classification visualization as going to Web Surfing. Is there any way to learn which IP address(es) that traffic is going to?

Are you web surfing and uploading your photos using the same client?

If you have a 'dedicated'/ separate client for photo uploading then an option would be to create a rule using the local IP of that client and direct traffic to File Downloads.

Don't suppose you've managed to track down the ports that Amazon Photos uses? Using the port number/ range to create a rule would be easier than finding every single IP address Amazon uses for this service.

Are you web surfing and uploading your photos using the same client?

If you have a 'dedicated'/ separate client for photo uploading then an option would be to create a rule using the local IP of that client and direct traffic to File Downloads.

Don't suppose you've managed to track down the ports that Amazon Photos uses? Using the port number/ range to create a rule would be easier than finding every single IP address Amazon uses for this service.
I agree with WuTangLan, if you can install that app on a separate client and use that clients static IP in the script rules. Much easier,simpler, and prob faster than having to track down ports and such.

Thanks for all the advice. I don't have the option to dedicate a client to Photos uploading, but Little Snitch was able to tell me the IPs the application uses, and I was able to load a few rules to get the results I want.

Ports are a non-issue as Amazon simply uses 448.

What steps are you having trouble with? The first piece of steps I would recommend is getting the devices with similar task (such as the PS4s/gaming devices) closer with their IPs using a static IP. That will make it easier to do the rules using a CDIR calculator. For example....My video devices are set to use .127-.129 (only need 3 there). I then put in the FreshQOS classifcation tab 192.168.2.127/32 and 192.168.2.128/31 on two separate lines to force them into Streaming category. (192.168.2.127/32 & 192.168.2.128/31 based on https://www.ipaddressguide.com/cidr using the IP to CDIR range section). Then change the QOS categories (Customize section under QOS tab) to match the order I prefer them. In my case VOIP is first then Video. If you prefer gaming then set that rule higher by dragging and dropping it.

May I ask you a question. Since you have 3 video devices that are set to 127-129, why are you only inputting 2 video device under the FQOS Classifcation tab, you have 3 of them, would you not in put the 3rd one??

I have 3 ps4's so I would think I would input all 3.

I am confused on this part.

I have set up the 3 ps4's with static ip's that are inline like, 1,2,3, lets say.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!