What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for volunteers on 384.18 alpha to test a beta version of FreshJR_QOS that makes it compatible with the new Asus categories. This is not backwards compatible with 384.17 or earlier at this time.
Code:
curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dave14305/FreshJR_QOS/develop/FreshJR_QOS.sh" -o /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS --create-dirs && curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dave14305/FreshJR_QOS/develop/FreshJR_QoS_Stats.asp" -o /jffs/scripts/www_FreshJR_QoS_Stats.asp && sh /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -install
I would recommend everyone put Learn-From-Home as the bottom class in the QoS priority customization, since there's a potential conflict with the Streaming class as both contain category 4. Also the Game Downloads/Transferring class is on the bubble revert to Learn-From-Home since its priority is now adjustable in the Customize UI. There's no real benefit to Learn-From-Home, but it could become a good default category for Untracked traffic. As of now, I'm still moving Untracked traffic to Others for continuity sake. I can't see any evidence that Asus is managing untracked traffic at all, so I'm forcing it where it used to be in FreshJR.

Feedback appreciated. Once 384.18 goes final, I will look to create a new thread for this fork, assuming FreshJR doesn't reappear. But for now, this is the best place to get your attention.
i don't see the learn from home cat in GUI:
upload_2020-6-4_7-32-31.png

even not in rules :
upload_2020-6-4_7-33-48.png

the latest alpha from git on ax88u. is it normal?

i don't see the learn from home cat in GUI:
It is intentional for now that I leave the name as Game Transferring since Learn-From-Home has no unique characteristics and there is still a hard coded rule for Game downloads.

The AX88 builds do not yet have the GPL with the new categories (at least Merlin hasn’t updated his QoS Classification page in that branch). But I don’t understand why you see 2 VOIP categories in your priority rules. Odd, but unrelated to FreshJR.

It is intentional for now that I leave the name as Game Transferring since Learn-From-Home has no unique characteristics and there is still a hard coded rule for Game downloads.

The AX88 builds do not yet have the GPL with the new categories (at least Merlin hasn’t updated his QoS Classification page in that branch). But I don’t understand why you see 2 VOIP categories in your priority rules. Odd, but unrelated to FreshJR.
two categories are thereafter setting QOS from the android application - there is learn from home category available.after router reboot there is again one only.

thanks for clarification

That's a bug from the app, I used it and It shows the categories, but that displays in the router UI under QoS.

the very reason your tests are all over the plac is because your NOT setting qos below your maximum speeds.. in order for QOS to actually do anything at all it NEEDS to be in full control of your connection and BE the bottleneck to prioritize the traffic.. if your ISP is the bottleneck then your might as well turn qos off cuz that's what you've got already.

Ok these are the settings I changed yesterday. I Will continue to test it today. Does this look right or should I go lower than 95%? And my brain was telling me that the minimum reserved percentages needed to add up to 100% exactly because that's how it was by default, but I changed some values and it's now over 100% if you add them all up and I didn't get an error. But you can't reserve more than 100% total so idk if this will actually truly work. Do the upload speeds need to be reduced as well?

upload_2020-6-4_9-32-41.png upload_2020-6-4_9-42-45.png

We use a DOCSIS broadband provider, but whenever I use fq_codel with WAN packet overhead set to 18 it doesn't perform as well as sfq. I keep reading that fq_codel is better to use, so I switched back to it recently, but set the overhead to 0, as that's a suggestion I've seen and so far so good. I always leave ATM unselected.

I changed packet overhead to zero as well. Thanks for the tip!

Might be a stupid question, but have you verified that your PC has a 1000Mbps connection to the router? If the router reports 300+Mbps, but your PC reports a value locked to 100Mbps, then that would suggest your PC is only connecting to the router at 100Mbps. Apologies if you have already addressed this, I looked back but didn't see that the question had been asked.

Great suggestion! Now I feel dumb and like I've wasted everyone's time. My work laptop was connected to my 2.4GHz wifi instead of 5GHz and I didn't realize it. I know wired is preferred but I ran the test from another machine that is hardwired and only saw speeds of 200Mbs. So in theory, if the DSLreports speeds are supposed to match those of spdMerlin, is it safe to just go ahead and use the average speed from spdMerlin for the manual bandwidth setting instead of using DSLreports? I just did a test from the 5GHz wifi and got advertised speeds:

upload_2020-6-4_9-41-42.png

So in theory, if the DSLreports speeds are supposed to match those of spdMerlin, is it safe to just go ahead and use the average speed from spdMerlin for the manual bandwidth setting instead of using DSLreports? I just did a test from the 5GHz wifi and got advertised speeds:
View attachment 23896
I trust the router itself doing a speed test than the individual devices them self.

I've noticed in my System Log, I've been getting this every 5 minutes. I tried to search by MAC and can't find a vendor and my ASUS RT-AC68U is on fw 384.17, running FreshJR QOS. Anyone know what that is? BTW, my router is using MAC filtering so it won't dish out the DHCP IP below to that MAC device. Thanks for any info!

Jun 4 10:45:30 dnsmasq-dhcp[241]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) 00:45:b9:26:54:8d
Jun 4 10:45:30 dnsmasq-dhcp[241]: DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.1.30 00:45:b9:26:54:8d
Jun 4 10:50:33 dnsmasq-dhcp[241]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) 00:45:b9:26:54:8d
Jun 4 10:50:33 dnsmasq-dhcp[241]: DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.1.30 00:45:b9:26:54:8d
You'd probably get more help if you posted in your own thread. This thread for for troubleshooting FreshJR's qos script.

I need some help. I uninstalled previous version and installed Dave's version. Asus RT68U is on latest 384.17
Most (if not all) of the traffic I generate (opening youtube, apple music, facetime) in as many devices as possible (phones , tablets) is being reported as a single category: Other. Do I need to set something?

I need some help. I uninstalled previous version and installed Dave's version. Asus RT68U is on latest 384.17
Most (if not all) of the traffic I generate (opening youtube, apple music, facetime) in as many devices as possible (phones , tablets) is being reported as a single category: Other. Do I need to set something?
I had a bug in determining the Web Surfing priority, but I don't think that would explain what you see. I pushed an update if you want to try again. What priority is your Other category?

thank you for the quick feedback

I still have the problem after updating. I found this when I ran
/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -debug

adaptive QOS: Others = 1:15

thank you for the quick feedback

I still have the problem after updating. I found this when I ran
/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -debug

adaptive QOS: Others = 1:15
Asus RT68U is on latest 384.17
I don't even pay attention to my own pre-requisites. The updated script is only intended to work on 384.18 alpha or higher right now.

You can go back to original FreshJR, or reinstall the version from the master branch with my bug fixes that works up to 384.17:
Code:
curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dave14305/FreshJR_QOS/master/FreshJR_QOS.sh" -o /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS --create-dirs && curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dave14305/FreshJR_QOS/master/FreshJR_QoS_Stats.asp" -o /jffs/scripts/www_FreshJR_QoS_Stats.asp && sh /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -install

@Yiannis I did find the bug that causes what you see. I just pushed another fix to the develop branch (still 384.18 alpha only). Once I know it all works well with the new categories, I will then try to determine if I'm smart enough to support old and new simultaneously with the same script and webpage.
@dave14305 can you look into port 853 as well under Uploads when using UDP (download mark up)? Or is not a big deal? Thanks for everything!

It’s not a big deal. I don’t think we’ll ever see 853/udp for DoT but IANA has reserved 853 on both protocols so it’s theoretically possible. My OCD is low on this one. If yours is high, I can remove it. ;)
No big deal for me haha...just making sure!

Curious if you're still using this rule"

23.47.79.0/24 / TCP/ Remote: 80?

Last edited:
Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to get everything right and there's no way to know if it's right or wrong!

If in doubt, leave it alone!

Ok these are the settings I changed yesterday. I Will continue to test it today. Does this look right or should I go lower than 95%? And my brain was telling me that the minimum reserved percentages needed to add up to 100% exactly because that's how it was by default, but I changed some values and it's now over 100% if you add them all up and I didn't get an error. But you can't reserve more than 100% total so idk if this will actually truly work. Do the upload speeds need to be reduced as well?

Don't touch them. These are an entirely different set of settings that you should not be touching.

You are overthinking things and creating your own problems.

Since you mentioned file transfer

No, I did not.

I described a way for you to measure your WAN speed consistently, and then determine your bufferbloat as described here: https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Tests_for_Bufferbloat/#a-quick-test-for-bufferbloat

You only want to change the upload/download bandwidth settings as shown in your screenshot.
View attachment 23897

To determine what values to place in there, you first need to sort out your connectivity issues, then follow the advice I gave here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...and-inner-workings.36836/page-220#post-590489

I reinstalled version for 384.17 but situation remains the same.
@Yiannis I did find the bug that causes what you see. I just pushed another fix to the develop branch (still 384.18 alpha only). Once I know it all works well with the new categories, I will then try to determine if I'm smart enough to support old and new simultaneously with the same script and webpage.

here is a strange situation. Yesterday I reverted to your tweaked version especially for 384.17. Even after that, I was still having more or less the same behavior. The router could identify torrent traffic but anything else was identified as other. After all those messages, I didn't want to bother you so much so I didn't write anything.

Today this morning, traffic categories seem to be identified correctly.

@dave14305 3 suggestions:
- you should create a new thread for the new version
- you should hardcode ports 53 and 853 to go to net packet control, because it is DoT.
- as FreshJR won't come for sure, @thelonelycoder should change the repo on amtm to yours.

Thanks!

+1 to all this!
I spent ages searching for the new repo link!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.