What's new

remote login to Asus router- OpenVPN server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unclebuk

Hello,

I have successfully setup an OpenVPN server on an Asus AC86U and AC88U and connected remotely, however I am unable to login to the remote router and instead defaults to the local LAN router.

Is there a setting I need to configure to allow remote login to the router?

Both routers are on Merlin 384.19

Thank you in advance.
buk

Last edited:
They are the same.
That's your problem then.

EDIT: Sorry, I may have misunderstood what you're describing. I was assuming you were talking about connecting two routers together over the VPN. Is that the case or are you connecting a single client, like a PC, to a remote router?

Is it only the remote router's GUI you can't access or is it all devices on the remote LAN?

Last edited:
Are you using the IP address of the router? Is the IP subnet of the remote LAN different to the IP subnet of your local network?
will this do the trick?

Attachments

• IP address_AC88U.jpg
    IP address_AC88U.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 121
That's your problem then.

EDIT: Sorry, I may have misunderstood what you're describing. I was assuming you were talking about connecting two routers together over the VPN. Is that the case or are you connecting a single client, like a PC, to a remote router?

Is it only the remote router's GUI you can't access or is it all devices on the remote LAN?
Actually I have created a OpenVPN server on (1) my house router (AC86U) and (2) my other router (AC88U) at a friends location. I want to login to the 2nd location to connect to local devices but cannot login to the router at the 2nd location even while connected to the OpenVPN server setup at the 2nd location. While connected to the 2nd server VPN, router login (192.168.1.1), (DDNS is up and running with no issues), goes to my local router (1st location).

Does this make sense ?

Does this make sense ?
Yes. It still looks like conflicting IP subnets. Unless your VPN client has an option to block the local subnet, the local subnet will always take priority over the remote one.

What is the device running the VPN client?