What's new

Removing old or offline devices off the client list... 2019

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mar Vi

Occasional Visitor
I didn't want to create a new thread about this but after searching and reading some older threads with no solutions, I thought I'd give a shot in 2019. I have a TP-Link device listed on my Asus GUI. I have stopped using this device for nearly a month now. But the router (RT-AC68U with latest firmware 384.12) lists it as active and using a connection. Why? Again, I have searched many threads on asking to simply remove or delete the device on the client list, yet no one has given a clear solution on eliminating it without the use of a script or resetting router to factory default. I have read some threads instructing to click an "x" to remove, but there is no such option in the GUI. I have blocked the device, and the red and white block icon appears on the line, but the device still shows that it is getting an active connection for over 5 hours!

For the feature packed firmware and popularity of some Asus routers, I expected this to be far less complicated than it needs to be.

How do you remove a device off the client list? Thanks.

Attachments

• TPdevice.jpg
    TPdevice.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,092
I'd say that despite what you might think there really is a device connected to your network with that IP address.

I didn't want to create a new thread about this but after searching and reading some older threads with no solutions, I thought I'd give a shot in 2019. I have a TP-Link device listed on my Asus GUI. I have stopped using this device for nearly a month now. But the router (RT-AC68U with latest firmware 384.12) lists it as active and using a connection. Why? Again, I have searched many threads on asking to simply remove or delete the device on the client list, yet no one has given a clear solution on eliminating it without the use of a script or resetting router to factory default. I have read some threads instructing to click an "x" to remove, but there is no such option in the GUI. I have blocked the device, and the red and white block icon appears on the line, but the device still shows that it is getting an active connection for over 5 hours!

For the feature packed firmware and popularity of some Asus routers, I expected this to be far less complicated than it needs to be.

How do you remove a device off the client list? Thanks.

Phicomm tops asuss every time!

rebooting routers clears the client list and repopulates the client list that replied after reboot except for those permanently assigned a static IP

And let's say you are correct in that something is connected, why would it, when I manually blocked it?
You only blocked that device from accessing the internet, you haven't stopped it connecting to the router.

Have you tried rebooting the router? Does the same device reappear?

Does the MAC address match that of the TP-Link device you say you're not using anymore. You have powered off the TP-Link device haven't you?

You only blocked that device from accessing the internet, you haven't stopped it connecting to the router.

Have you tried rebooting the router? Does the same device reappear?

Does the MAC address match that of the TP-Link device you say you're not using anymore. You have powered off the TP-Link device haven't you?

Sorry for late reply.

Yes I rebooted the router and the TP-Link kept appearing on the list. I packed the TP-Link device over a month ago. There was no reason whatsoever for it to show up on the clients list. I did not check the mac addresses on the devices, but if it was another device connecting to the list, why would it have the TP-Link name? All of my devices are labeled and identified on the list. That would seem weird.

Update: It was too much of a hassle to work with the RT-AC68U routers. I gave up on them (not the first Asus hardware I gave back this year) and got a Netgear Nighthawk XR500 with a Nighthawk EX8000 mesh. The mesh has insane wifi-coverage. After about 3 days using them and intentionally running high intensive online games and browsing 4k videos, I have heard no complaints from anyone in my household of dropped connections (fingers crossed). So far so good.

Thanks to all that responded.

Yeah so good people send them back .

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/phicomm-k3-router,review-5640.html
PHICOMM K3 ROUTER

THE GOOD :

Excellent performance
Two-year warranty
LCD screen

THE BAD :

Huge size
Short range
Only three downstream LAN ports
No WPS connection mode

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/phicomm-k3-not-k3c-discussion.49109/

Hmm, looks like that router could easily handle my gigabit speed. Though the short range and having only 3 ports might have been a deal breaker for me. Thanks for sharing this though. I'll keep my eye on it.

rebooting routers clears the client list and repopulates the client list that replied after reboot except for those permanently assigned a static IP
I changed it to where only my own devices had static IPs, all others were assigned by router.