What's new

Removing policy rules for VPN Client in ASUS-AC87U leaves client in limbo until rule deleted.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bitoiu

Occasional Visitor
Hey folks,

First post here with newly account created, but long time reader.

I'm setting up OpenVPN and I've been able to do so with Policy Rules targeting just one of my clients. After such a simple and success scenario I decided to try the same for my TV as sometimes IPTV gets somewhat blocked. As soon as I define a policy rule for the TV client, even without clicking "Apply" to save settings it's like the rule goes into effect immediately. That's ok, but the issue is that when I remove the rule it seems the traffic is still trying to go through the VPN. I say try, because while Netflix can connect, most of the other apps including the TV OS can't find an internet connection. I'm not seeking help to why some services might or might not work through the VPN, just that I can't seem to go to initial state by deleting the Policy Rule and then simply clicking "Apply".

I've unplugged the ethernet cable from the TV, got a new IP and even so it seems only deleting the rule brings it back to normality. I want to test more servers with the TV, but if I have to delete the rule everytime I won't bother due to the time and issues that this will cause on the server.

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Try this to see if it helps:
1. Assign your TV a static IP
2. Under policy rules for which ever VPN client you are using assign this IP to the VPN tunnel interface. At the same time assign the router's LAN IP to the WAN. Be sure to click add after adding each of these devices. Then click apply.
3. To turn the VPN off the TV go back to this page and edit its interface to WAN and click apply.
4. To change the VPN client's server load a new OVPN file or modify the existing one to change the server's location and repeat step 2.

This should work for you without having to reboot either the router or the TV.

Hey @CaptainSTX, first and foremost thank you for your answer. To be clear to remove the effect of the policy it was just a matter of deleting the VPN client configuration, but just removing the policy left the TV in this case still with the effects of the VPN Client.

> 1. Assign your TV a static IP

Got it.

> 2. Under policy rules for which ever VPN client you are using assign this IP to the VPN tunnel interface.

Got it, this is what I did for my server and it's working fine.

> 3. At the same time assign the router's LAN IP to the WAN.

Could you explain what is the goal of this step? Versus simply finishing this process with the policy rule. I did notice policy rules have VPN and WAN but did not know the difference. I was following two popular guides on this forum.

Thank you again.

3. At the same time assign the router's LAN IP to the WAN.

Could you explain what is the goal of this step? Versus simply finishing this process with the policy rule. I did notice policy rules have VPN and WAN but did not know the difference. I was following two popular guides on this forum.

It shouldn't make any difference but sometimes it is better just to set what you want to happen and not assume that the router will default to what you want. Since most of your traffic isn't going through the VPN tunnel it is probably better just explicitly make sure your router is using the WAN.

It shouldn't make any difference but sometimes it is better just to set what you want to happen and not assume that the router will default to what you want. Since most of your traffic isn't going through the VPN tunnel it is probably better just explicitly make sure your router is using the WAN.

Thank you, I'll try this when I can afford some downtime. You've been very helpful.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!