What's new

Replace my AX-89x

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ben29

Regular Contributor
HI.

i want to replace my Asus router.

Thinking about:

Archer BE900
Archer BE800
Archer AXE300

my main key feture that i need is WAN with 10GB

any recomndection?

Last edited:
i want to replace my Asus router.

Thinking about:

Archer BE900
Archer BE800
Archer AXE300

any recomndection?
You are asking in a Asus specific subforum about replacing your Asus router with non Asus routers? You may want to ask (or move your post) in the Wireless Buying Advice subforum if you are interested in specific non Asus routers:

My recommendation; stay with Asus hardware (and specifically RMerlin-supported Asus routers).

Then that is putting you way out in front of most people who are at 1GB to 2.5GB.

Here are Asus options for 10G

ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000​

$699.99

RT-AX89X​

$349.99

Am not familiar with QNAP but

QNAP QHora-301W-US Wi-Fi 6 Dual-port 10GbE SD-WAN Router​

But, ben29, do you need 10g speed for work (radiologist?), or, just upgrading your home system?

If you don't need pro level tech, consider repurposing an old PC, adding a card like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGTTIUC/?tag=snbforums-20

Intel Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X540-T2​

and install PfSense, or a competitor.

Or: consider Netgate

Also consider looking at r/homelab over on Reddit, read this

Yes it's from 2016 but the same principles apply, just upgrade the hardware (or not? You don't need 20 P cores and 40 E cores to run router software.)

Good luck, would love to hear what you decide on.

ben29, I do like this writer, Dong Ngo, I think his advice is practical and honest:

He mentions two more 10g capable routers in the article, and talks about why your 10g connection won't give you 10g.

If you are looking for 10g between devices in your home, not 10g out to the internet, then of course a 10g switch connecting your devices will cover you.

My isp give me 5gb download and 1gb upload
So i just want to upgrade my router to gain speed and better wifi

The GT-AX6000 will give you the best balance of what you need for the least cost today (2.5GbE).

There is nothing that will use 5Gbps WiFi right now.

10GbE port(s) you may get with home routers, but not 10Gbps capable hardware inside.

What client devices and switches do you have now that are 10GbE?

What server(s) are you connecting to over the net that offer those or close to those speeds? Or are you connecting to another site you manage too? VPN?

Why do you need a home router with latest Wi-Fi tech then? Get a proper firewall appliance with more capable hardware instead.

The faster the Wi-Fi tech the shorter the range. You are not getting better coverage on 6GHz band.

See this related thread:

You'll get the same results and have the same questions. Better Wi-Fi coverage - multi-AP Wi-Fi system.

Last edited:
it's not about WIFI.

LAN USAGE...
i prefer one router for now.

i just want better wifi coverages.

???

If your server connections are all within your LAN, get the switches you need, a GT-AX6000, and enjoy what you want for the least cost today. :)

I don
???

If your server connections are all within your LAN, get the switches you need, a GT-AX6000, and enjoy what you want for the least cost today. :)

???

i know the max WIFI SPEED that i will get is 1GB and it's ok.
i need more wifi coverage.

the wifi of AX-89X is very low.

You may get more than 1Gbps WiFi, depending on your client devices, distance, and channel width you can use.

But the RT-AX89X is an old, Gen 1 product, today. Originally rated as AX Class 6000, it has been superseded many times since its introduction.

If you wait for WiFi 7, I wouldn't invest in anything before Gen 2 there either. That is why the GT-AX6000 is your sweet spot today (better than you have now, at the lowest price).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!