What's new

Restore Setting from RT-AC88U to RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ShagBark

Occasional Visitor
Been a lurker for a bit here and a Merlin user for about 6 months.

Can I backup my settings on my old AC88U to restore on my new AX88U? Curious if anyone has any experience with this. I have a lot setting that I rather not have to redo manually unless I have to. Being they don't seem that much different I'm thinking it will work. Looking for any ideas on this.
Thanks
Annotation 2019-12-05 152812.jpg

Been a lurker for a bit here and a Merlin user for about 6 months.

Can I backup my settings on my old AC88U to restore on my new AX88U? Curious if anyone has any experience with this. I have a lot setting that I rather not have to redo manually unless I have to. Being they don't seem that much different I'm thinking it will work. Looking for any ideas on this.
ThanksView attachment 20141
No.

Two different linux versions, two different design platforms, etc.

Also AX88U is 64bit and AC88U is 32bit.

Understood. Fast reply thanks.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can do this. Only thing I came up with is pull up both web interfaces on 2 monitors, grab a drink and mirror the settings manually.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can do this. Only thing I came up with is pull up both web interfaces on 2 monitors, grab a drink and mirror the settings manually.
Screen shots work real nice as well.

Screen shots work real nice as well.

Good point... any program to take screen shots automatically of all the setting pages? There are a lot of settings in the Merlin/Asus web interface to change.

Good point... any program to take screen shots automatically of all the setting pages? There are a lot of settings in the Merlin/Asus web interface to change.
I use "awesome screenshots" for chrome and also "full page screen capture" for chrome. Both are extensions and free without added crap.

Also you probably don't really need every page backed up. Backup the stuff you don't know from memory.

I print to PDF all important pages. Makes it super easy to pull something up as reference or reconfigure after a reset.

A handy tool to capture all your configuration tabs is Snagit

router processor architecture has nothing to do with whether you can restore CVAR's from a prior router, nor does the linux versioning.

some of you tossing out guesses online, need to stop.

The only reason it'd be ill advised to try is differencing in certain paths set within the firmware that can't be changed anymore in wrtsettings, but thats only when import mechanisms are done half arsed.

The AX88U, just like the AX86U and AC86U can import settings from a prior router just fine.

Last edited:
router processor architecture has nothing to do with whether you can restore CVAR's from a prior router, nor does the linux versioning.

some of you tossing out guesses online, need to stop.

The only reason it'd be ill advised to try is differencing in certain paths set within the firmware that can't be changed anymore in wrtsettings, but thats only when import mechanisms are done half arsed.

The AX88U, just like the AX86U and AC86U can import settings from a prior router just fine.
also not to mention the potential plethora of mismatched nvram values that potentially exist (not that there would be a lot, but there may be some).

also not to mention the potential plethora of mismatched nvram values that potentially exist (not that there would be a lot, but there may be some).

should be a non issue if you use the initial setup wizards conf importer, and as long as you're importing a 385 conf into 385, or 384 into 384, the values for cvars should be consistant and normalized across the asuswrt code base.

Its only been a handful of cases where a major version bump has changed cvar names, like when 382 bumped to 384 and bridges had to be changed back to router and set back up to get connected to the router again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!