What's new

Ridiculous AC87U and STB problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jakey

Occasional Visitor
I have 2 network connected set top boxes and although they both have the same issue I'll just concentrate on one so as to not complicate the issue.

The STB in question is a Dreambox which some may of heard of, for those who haven't the Dreambox is a very versatile and capable satellite/cable receiver and network streamer, the OS is Enigma2 which sits on top of a light version of debian linux.

It has a 10/100/1000 MBit/s compatible Gigabit Ethernet Interface probably Broadcom, the CPU is Broadcom mips.

So I get my shiny new AC87U installed latest Merlin, set a manually assigned IP for the STB and everything is dandy, all STB network functions working as they should.

It's not until i reboot the STB the problem manifests, when it comes to the point during boot where I assume the STB tries to connect to the network it actually halts the booting and won't progress !

The only way to fully boot the STB is to remove the network cable and reconnect it after it has successfully booted after which the network functions as it should.

I've just updated to Merlins 378.50_beta1 hoping the issue would go away but it hasn't.

No such issues with my previous Netgear R7000 router, can anyone throw any light on this as it's driving me crazy ?

Thanks

Have you ever performed a reset to factory defaults and afterwards manually entered the minimum required settings to secure the wifi and router access and connect to the ISP?

Yes, just the same :(

I have a total of 8 wired connections, some direct to the router and some via a switch and the 2 set top boxes are the only ones giving me problems (1 connected direct the other via switch).

Last edited:
Is it the switch then? Have you tried replacing it or moving the set top boxes to be connected without going through the switch?

Is it the switch then? Have you tried replacing it or moving the set top boxes to be connected without going through the switch?

As I said 1 STB via the switch 1 direct to router, both the same problem.

How about updating the firmware on the Dreambox?

Always the latest updates on my enigma2 boxes, besides there was no problem with the Netgear R7000 which the AC87 has replaced or the RT-N66 before that.

Does the STB keep persistent logs across resets? You could boot it up with it connected to the AC87, wait for it to hang, connect the old router, reset the STB, and then SSH into it to check the logs to see why it hung.