What's new

Risks for installing Tomato?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ixel

New Around Here
Hi,
As I'm new to ASUS routers, and the fact I'm currently having a problem with static routing (I can't fully manage to get my block /29 of public IP's to work on my network devices) on the ASUS firmware, I had considered trying Tomato instead.

What I want to know is:
- Are there risks, such as bricking the router completely, or is there a recovery mechanism always available in the event of a firmware failure? (I've heard there's something on the CFE?, a 30-30-30 recovery method?)
- Will it void the warranty?
- Can I go back to ASUS Merlin if I need to?
- Is anyone here using Tomato on an RT-N66U or similar router, if so what are your experiences with Tomato?
- Other alternative suggestions similar to Tomato are welcome, such as DD-WRT for example, please mention why you would recommend something if you do though

Apologies if these questions have had answers before. Thanks for any help in advance.

Hi,
Moving back and forth between different flavor f/w is trivial thing. Just go at it slow, Be
patient, no rush when you flash f/w. I ended up bricking few routers but no matter what
I could revive them with various methods. Your router is almost impossible to brick unless
one does very stupid thing.

Hi,
Moving back and forth between different flavor f/w is trivial thing. Just go at it slow, Be
patient, no rush when you flash f/w. I ended up bricking few routers but no matter what
I could revive them with various methods. Your router is almost impossible to brick unless
one does very stupid thing.

Thanks :). I take it that the router I'm using is hard to brick because the recovery mechanism is in the CFE, which isn't what I'm modifying when changing firmware?

I had problems to set up my N66U with Asus and Merlins f/w , could not set up inital settings so I tried to install Tomato and everything worked without any problems to set it up. You just read the thread which is in another posting and wait a couple of extra minutes after the f/w flash is done before you proceed.

Hi,
As I'm new to ASUS routers, and the fact I'm currently having a problem with static routing (I can't fully manage to get my block /29 of public IP's to work on my network devices) on the ASUS firmware, I had considered trying Tomato instead.

What I want to know is:
- Are there risks, such as bricking the router completely, or is there a recovery mechanism always available in the event of a firmware failure? (I've heard there's something on the CFE?, a 30-30-30 recovery method?)
- Will it void the warranty?
- Can I go back to ASUS Merlin if I need to?
- Is anyone here using Tomato on an RT-N66U or similar router, if so what are your experiences with Tomato?
- Other alternative suggestions similar to Tomato are welcome, such as DD-WRT for example, please mention why you would recommend something if you do though

Apologies if these questions have had answers before. Thanks for any help in advance.

I've had my RT-N66u for about 9-10 months by now.

I got it with firmware v.112 and have had v.164, v.178, v.220, v.260 and v.270.
I started to have problems when I moved to v.220 and I now think it was due to the nvram size change.

I tried beta v.354 and discovered a problem with 5 GHz a couple of weeks before it was finally acknowledged as a problem by ASUS.

I have tried various builds by Merlin as well. I liked those builds, but I still had problems that seemed to be inherent in the ASUS firmwares.

I was about to go buy another RT-N66u to test with or something entirely different out of frustration, but decided one morning to try Tomato (Shibby's build) and have been very happy since!

I feel as though I've replaced my quirky RT-N66u with something much more stable and expensive. It's a weird feeling, it works better and has more options but it's still the same device when I look at it.

I would recommend Tomato to anyone. :D

You could also go with Merlins variation of the ASUS firmware. (if your only issue is using a /29)

I am using a /29 exactly how I want with no issues using Merlins startup scripts.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!