What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC2900 vs RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spartan

Which one is better?

I need to enable VPN in my router and the VPN that I use which is hide.me told me that I cannot do it on my TP-Link Archer C5400X because it only has VPN Server not client. I have an old Nighthawk R7000 but that also doesn't seem to have a VPN client feature so I am thinking that I might need to get a new router and am confused about the above 2.

With the GT Asus models not receiving any RMerlin love/support, the RT-AX88U stands far above them (always).

With the GT Asus models not receiving any RMerlin love/support, the RT-AX88U stands far above them (always).
Right, and before I make the purchase, I wanted a NETGEAR router because it has PLEX Media Server and I have a lifetime subscription for that but someone hear told me that they have lots of firmware issues recently and rarely update the firmware Thoughts?

Have a look at what @Voxel is doing for the NG hardware (exceptionally good stuff, btw). Depending on the NG model you want. :)

However, Asus routers start off better by default, and RMerlin's touch makes them exceptional.

Time to invest in a Pi for PLEX?

Have a look at what @Voxel is doing for the NG hardware (exceptionally good stuff, btw). Depending on the NG model you want. :)

However, Asus routers start off better by default, and RMerlin's touch makes them exceptional.

Time to invest in a Pi for PLEX?
Sorry to bother you but,

Which Netgear router is equivalent to the ASUS RT-AX88U. I want something decent but not the most expensive ones.

Finally, do the latest Netgear Routers have the ability for me to connect my VPN into them? Like do they have a VPN Client section (not server) like the ASUS?

There are no NG equivalent routers to the RT-AX88U.

At least, none with the RMerlin + amtm + scripts possibilities available with Asus routers.

The last NG router I had is more than 7 years ago. Others will better answer your specific questions.

Sorry to bother you but,

Which Netgear router is equivalent to the ASUS RT-AX88U. I want something decent but not the most expensive ones.

Finally, do the latest Netgear Routers have the ability for me to connect my VPN into them? Like do they have a VPN Client section (not server) like the ASUS?

The RAX80 is the same internal hardware as the AX88U. But software side the ASUS would be better. While I never had a single NG router go bad due to hardware issues, the firmware unfortunately leaves much to be desired.

NG has Router as a VPN client function but limited to PureVPN only which has helped law enforcement catch a criminal once which is good but also makes you question PureVPNs no logging claims. It’s also pretty unreliable from what I’ve heard and slow vs ExpressVPN or NordVPN.

If you have an R7000, then some VPN vendors give customized firmware I know ExpressVPN for one has a customized firmware for that router.

Last edited:
The RAX80 is the same internal hardware as the AX88U. But software side the ASUS would be better. While I never had a single NG router go bad due to hardware issues, the firmware unfortunately leaves much to be desired.

NG has Router as a VPN client function but limited to PureVPN only which has helped law enforcement catch a criminal once which is good but also makes you question PureVPN’s no logging claims. It’s also pretty unreliable from what I’ve heard and slow vs ExpressVPN or NordVPN.
Thanks man. I went ahead and ordered the ASUS AX88U.

@L&LD @avtella
so I got the router this morning, it was very easy to setup and even the VPN client was so simple, just a matter of entering my server and username / pass.
I got way more speed in LT2P vs PPTP. PPTP = 40 MB/Down while L2TP gave me the full 600 MB down/200MB up which I get from my ISP normally.
Not one single disconneection.

The range is average, cannot access the WiFi network from the 2nd floor but I wasn't expecting to anyway.

Overall, very happy with this router and for the price, it's amazing. Puts my previous TP-Link Archer C5400X which cost double what this one costs to shame.