What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC2900

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maxbraketorque

Very Senior Member
Looks like ASUS is about to release a variant of the RT-AC86U. A quick look at the specs shows much of the same but a few new items. Processor appears to be the same, but this new router is capable of running 160 MHz wide channels, it has a feature called "Range Boost", it can utilize DFS channels, and of course its got its game optimization stuff.

https://www.asus.com/Networking/ROG-Rapture-GT-AC2900/overview/

Might explain the deep price cuts the 86u saw since November.

Edit: Addition or replacement?

Last edited:
Just getting to know the 86u, and don't use all it's features. Not a gamer so I see no reason to change.

I won't change either, thrilled with 86u. Tried 3100 and 3200 but neither matched even my old 56u except for firmware updates and a little range. 86u is best of all!

It's basically an RT-AC86U with RGB lighting, wall-mountable, and it was validated for DFS channel use in the US (so, with 160 MHz channel width support).

That gaming interface looks ridiculous, what on Earth were they thinking, not everyone 12 years old here :)

That gaming interface looks ridiculous, what on Earth were they thinking, not everyone 12 years old here :)

My eyes! My eyes! :D

They really need to focus on what their product exudes or at least allow different 'skins' for the post-bubblegum crowd. ;)

That washer-dryer attachment is nice, I can multitask!

It's basically an RT-AC86U with RGB lighting, wall-mountable, and it was validated for DFS channel use in the US (so, with 160 MHz channel width support).

But you categorized it as being in a different generation than the AC86U. I assumed that it would its somehow significantly different, but apparently not?

But you categorized it as being in a different generation than the AC86U. I assumed that it would its somehow significantly different, but apparently not?

That was an error, it's closer to the previous generation despite being released this year (and possibly be using the same SDK version as the two AX models I listed it with). I'll update my post.

Thanks

The answer to my question.

I see it on sale here for $200 cnd, but the 86U is $250 cnd. Sigh.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!