What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

An update...
Brought the new ac5300 with me this morning. Keep in mind this is the second new ac5300. I tried it at two different clients offices this morning and at both locations the router reports WAN cable unplugged. One location I have a Cisco modem and the other has a SMC. So this second router has had a motorola, arris, smc and Cisco modems plugged in. I've never had two routers do this to me out of the box. I provide network security for a bank client and several doctor offices. Most of my days are logged into sonicwall and Cisco firewalls. It isn't my first rodeo but man this is crazy. Best Buy here just got one in stock I might try one last time with a third.

An update...
Brought the new ac5300 with me this morning. Keep in mind this is the second new ac5300. I tried it at two different clients offices this morning and at both locations the router reports WAN cable unplugged. One location I have a Cisco modem and the other has a SMC. So this second router has had a motorola, arris, smc and Cisco modems plugged in. I've never had two routers do this to me out of the box. I provide network security for a bank client and several doctor offices. Most of my days are logged into sonicwall and Cisco firewalls. It isn't my first rodeo but man this is crazy. Best Buy here just got one in stock I might try one last time with a third.

Don't want to state the obvious, but just in case, did you try a different Ethernet cable, making sure it's rated for Cat6?

Picked up mine at Best Buy yesterday to replace my AC3100. No issues being detected, plugged it in, unplugged the cable modem and replugged it in. I havent had much time to mess with it yet, but I'm a bit annoyed that the wireless display bug (wifi disappearing and reappearing) that my AC3100 has is also happening on the GT-AC5300. For a $400 this router should be almost flawless out of the box. They are already on their 3rd firmware for it (which is good) but makes me nervous that its been out for less then a month and has 3 updates already.

Also you'd think for a $400 router they could at least put in a Cat6 cable with it......

Yeah cat6 all the way. Well they apparatbely sold the router before I got there lol. Oh wel. I'll stick with my original ac5300 for a month or two then maybe try again

So far this router is amazing. The GUI is just great. Below is a list of things I would change. Let me know what you guys think and is there anything you would change or add?

1. 10Gb Wan port (One RJ45 and One SFP+). With the option to change the SFP+ from a WAN to LAN and the RJ45 from WAN to LAN.
2. 802.3bz 2.5Gbps and 5Gbps (It looks like it might have the 2.5Gbps)
3. 802.11ad (As a quad band). Like the current Smart Connect it would be nice to just add 802.11ad in the mix.

802.11ad (As a quad band). Like the current Smart Connect it would be nice to just add 802.11ad in the mix.

What would you use 802.11ad for?

So far this router is amazing. The GUI is just great. Below is a list of things I would change. Let me know what you guys think and is there anything you would change or add?

1. 10Gb Wan port (One RJ45 and One SFP+). With the option to change the SFP+ from a WAN to LAN and the RJ45 from WAN to LAN.
2. 802.3bz 2.5Gbps and 5Gbps (It looks like it might have the 2.5Gbps)
3. 802.11ad (As a quad band). Like the current Smart Connect it would be nice to just add 802.11ad in the mix.

From what i know and kinda in ASUS TW networking products team program and not to reveal too much citing confidentiality/product roadmap.

So take it a pinch of salt :) nothing is confirmed neither it's leak or it's an official ASUS representative response.

I'm not an official ASUS SG/TW employee, just someone that have been helping ASUS SG/TW in evaluating/testing their networking products for quite some time.

1). 10G based router has been in consideration (be it 10GbE WAN/LAN/SFP+) is subjected to various regions 10G Fiber deployment status (XGPON/Optical Ethernet)
So far only 2 major cities has residential 10G Fiber service - namely Hong Kong - Hong Kong Telecom (10G XGPON) and Singapore - SingTel/M1/SuperInternet/ViewQwest (10G XGPON and Optical Ethernet) that i'm aware of which uses HuaWei 82XX XGPON ONR or direct to PC or coupled with Mikrotik CCR for Optical Ethernet.
Feel free to mention any other cities/regions which have residential 10G Fiber service.

http://e.huawei.com/sg/products/fixed-network/access/ont/optical-terminal

2). 2.5Gbps and 5Gbps is not in consideration because it's more of a stopgap between 1Gbps and 10Gbps which can be easily settled by 10GbE/SFP+ which prices are still going downtrend.

3). 802.11ad is not in consideration as well because it's not that attractive over 802.11ax. Linksys has posted some examples.

http://www.linksys.com/us/r/resource-center/80211ad-vs-80211ax/

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Maylyn. At this point, I would love to hear from someone using it while real time gaming, and such. Also while running some other things using up a decent amount of bandwidth. I just want to see/hear about real time usage. I personally game more on my PS4, due to wrist issue keeping me away from pc gaming as much. I do see the gui of this router has a ping graph, and a jitter graph next to each other. Which I do think is cool, most of it is cool in theory. But actually seeing benefit's compared to say one of there other routers using there standard QoS system, is something I'm interested in.

I will keep a eye on this thread over next couple month's, and see what others have to say, and hopefully the one's who do have the router, are willing to share what they see, and opinion on this router while gaming. Because I'm pretty sure I tested before with other Asus routers like the AC3100, with QoS enabled, running torrent client on a pc using decent bandwidth. Even with gaming set as the highest priority, overall increase in latency/jitter was present. So it has me curious just how much improved things are, if any.. Regarding the QoS system being used with this router, with other stuff they added for gaming in itself.

Again I'm a open minded person about this, and I know there other things that can ultimately make even this router not feel like it's helping you when gaming online. I do think we can all get a general feel for things though, once a couple people have actively used this router for a period of time, and hopefully share there experience with using it.

What would you use 802.11ad for?

Honestly nothing. I was just thinking it would be cool to have a quad router. It is a $400 router and 802.11ad is cheap. Now the 802.3bz I would use. I have a server and my computers all back up to it. So it would be nice. The SFP+ to my server would be good also. The 10Gbps wan is more for longevity reasons. At some point there will be faster then 1Gbps offered and its nice to know you have plenty of room.

Charter
http://www.multichannel.com/news/cable-operators/charter-eyes-10gbps-broadband/409489

So question for Maylyn. According to Broadcom the Cpu supports 2.5Gbps ethernet. Do you think Asus will turn it on?

Link to CPU specs
https://www.broadcom.com/products/wireless/wireless-lan-infrastructure/bcm49408

Thank you. Just making sure I am following the rules. Will you be working on your firmware for the GT-AC5300? Also what do you think about this router, hardware and software.

Here is my question for everyone. Under the cpu specs it says 2.5G Ethernet connectivity. Is that for 802.3bz?

802.3bz
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5GBASE-T_and_5GBASE-T

CPU
https://www.broadcom.com/products/wireless/wireless-lan-infrastructure/bcm49408

Someone care to post the output of the following command - this is to see what features the CPU has, the kernel version, and the gcc/toolchain version...

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 1.59.24 PM.png

Honestly nothing. I was just thinking it would be cool to have a quad router.

IMHO, 802.11ad makes zero sense in a router, because it would require any device to be in the same room. I see 802.11ad to make sense in an AP, where you would actually put it near the equipment that needs to be connected to it.

I wouldn't call it cheap either...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M12RE4A/?tag=snbforums-20

It would probably have added another 50-100$ to the price.

In any case, traces in the GPL code does seem to point at Asus playing with what seem to be a 802.11ad device in the future. Whether it will actually reach the market or not is another story.

Last edited:
1). 10G based router has been in consideration (be it 10GbE WAN/LAN/SFP+) is subjected to various regions 10G Fiber deployment status (XGPON/Optical Ethernet)

10G is something I'd expect in a business product tho (like the BRT line), not in a gamer product like the GT line.

Wow .... didn't know that ASUS refreshes the GT-AC5300 firmware 4 times in a row just this month :p Fast and furious 8 :eek:

From 10397 - 06/04/2017 (11766 - 04/14/2017, 11767 - 04/26/2017 - got withdrawn) and now sporting the latest 11242 - 04/28/2017

All sporting the same change log ..... for 11766, 11767 and 11242.

Download @ ~> http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/GT-AC5300/FW_GT-AC5300_300438211242.zip

Last edited:
Wow .... didn't know that ASUS refreshes the GT-AC5300 firmware 4 times in a row just this month :p Fast and furious 8 :eek:

From 10397 - 06/04/2017 (11766 - 04/14/2017, 11767 - 04/26/2017 - got withdrawn) and now sporting the latest 11242 - 04/28/2017

All sporting the same change log ..... for 11766, 11767 and 11242.

Download @ ~> http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/GT-AC5300/FW_GT-AC5300_300438211242.zip

Yep, my router is getting it now, oddly enough its not up on Asus's webpage, but the change log is exactly the same as 11767:

- Stability improvement.
- Fix mode change issue.
- Fix some UI related issues.
- Fix network map related issues.

I did not fix the display issue with the Wireless devices, and it also still has the bug under network map where it says: Clients: NaN

I guess its good they are working hard to fix all the bugs, but for a router this expensive a lot of this should have been fixed before release.

I'm more curious on the cpuinfo output - broadcom's A53's seem to be fairly feature rich compared to the A9's they've been using...

No valuable info can be found .....

Code:
admin@GT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
BogoMIPS        : 100.00
Features        : fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32
CPU implementer : 0x42
CPU architecture: 8
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0x100
CPU revision    : 0

processor       : 1

processor       : 2

processor       : 3

admin@GT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root# processor       : 0
-sh: processor: not found
admin@GT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root# BogoMIPS        : 100.00
-sh: BogoMIPS: not found
admin@GT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root# Features        : fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 s
ha2 crc32
-sh: Features: not found
admin@GT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root# CPU implementer : 0x42
-sh: CPU: not found
admin@GT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root# CPU architecture: 8
admin@GT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root# CPU variant     : 0x0
admin@GT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root# CPU part        : 0x100
admin@GT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root# CPU revision    : 0
admin@GT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root#
admin@GT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root# processor       : 1
admin@GT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root# Features        : fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 s
ha2 crc32
admin@GT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root# processor       : 2
ha2 crc32
admin@GT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root# processor       : 3
ha2 crc32

As for cat /proc/verison

Something looks familiar :D

Linux version 4.1.27 (chengche@chengche-VirtualBox) (gcc version 5.3.0 (Buildroot 2016.02) ) #6 SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 21 17:38:31 CST 2017

The only difference between 10766 and 10767 was they removed one default value related to runner (if I remember correctly, I did a diff on it when it came out). Maybe they also changed something related to the firmware compile too, in any case I found that 10767 release odd.

I suspect that the GT-AC5300 is being used as a development/test bed for the firmware 382 codebase, hence the frequent updates. Another insane amount of changes in the code, some of it seems to be stuff that's still work-in-progress.

Things are looking bleaker by every release for my chances at being able to merge all of this back onto my code.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!