What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello all,

I have the GT-AC5300 with the latest firmware from ASUS and have noticed performance issues over LAN lately. I did a wired connection to my laptop and topped out at 350mbps when i have gigabit internet from xfinity. Router says connection is 1gbps and so does the ethernet nic on my computer. Wifi next to the router on the 5ghz channel would get me 380mbps. Asus tech support went through their standard channel recommendations but did not help too much. It is far past the warranty date and hate to go spend 400-500$ on a new performance router to support my 30+ devices i have connected (mostly iot devices like alexa, doorbell, camera, etc). Should i look at doing a factory reset? I believe the cables should be fine, as they've remained in the same spot for years. I've done several reboots of both the router and modem and and xfinity insists the modem is working as intended. Not sure what to do next.
Any suggestions would be great.

If you have not factory reset and configured from scratch in awhile, that would be something to try.

Could also speed test with any other Ethernet cables disconnected from the router.

Could try an alternate speed test website such as https://www.nperf.com/en/.

Could downgrade the firmware, if you suspect it.

OE

Hello all,

I have the GT-AC5300 with the latest firmware from ASUS and have noticed performance issues over LAN lately. I did a wired connection to my laptop and topped out at 350mbps when i have gigabit internet from xfinity. Router says connection is 1gbps and so does the ethernet nic on my computer. Wifi next to the router on the 5ghz channel would get me 380mbps. Asus tech support went through their standard channel recommendations but did not help too much. It is far past the warranty date and hate to go spend 400-500$ on a new performance router to support my 30+ devices i have connected (mostly iot devices like alexa, doorbell, camera, etc). Should i look at doing a factory reset? I believe the cables should be fine, as they've remained in the same spot for years. I've done several reboots of both the router and modem and and xfinity insists the modem is working as intended. Not sure what to do next.
Any suggestions would be great.

I have simillar issue: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/gt-ac5300-gigabit-internet-limted-to-200-mbps.64075/#post-583497

Nothing helped, tried factory reset, FW downgrade,new cables...

Pessoal, li todos os posts e não consegui tirar minhas dúvidas:

- para uso do cliente VPN, o roteador está estável hoje (neste caso, VPN Fusion)?

- para uso VPN, independente do preço, o que é melhor hoje, o GT-AC5300 ou RT-AC86U?

- Pelo preço e recursos que oferece, o GT 5300 vale a pena?

Quando ao uso do vpn depende muito do provedor, particularmente, se fosse comprar hoje, não compraria o gt-ac5300, compraria um em que pudesse fazer o flash do firmware e usar o firmware do Merlin.

Pessoal, li todos os posts e não consegui tirar minhas dúvidas:

- para uso do cliente VPN, o roteador está estável hoje (neste caso, VPN Fusion)?

- para uso VPN, independente do preço, o que é melhor hoje, o GT-AC5300 ou RT-AC86U?

- Pelo preço e recursos que oferece, o GT 5300 vale a pena?

Translated from my Conversations inbox (similar to above post?):
" Se puder, você poderia me dizer se vale a pena comprar o Rog GT-AC5300? Meu principal objetivo é usar VPN, caso em que a função "VPN Fusion" é 100%? "

"If you can, could you tell me if it is worth buying the Rog GT-AC5300? My main goal is to use VPN, in which case the "VPN Fusion" function is 100%?"

I would avoid so-called gaming routers and otherwise niche products like the GT-AC5300. They tend to cost more, deliver more of what you don't need, and enjoy less support by the OEM and third parties.

The RT-AC86U has hardware encryption and is said to perform well as a VPN router.

OE

[QUOTE = "OzarkEdge, post: 623032, membro: 57324"]
Traduzido da minha caixa de entrada de Conversas (semelhante à postagem acima?):

Eu evitaria os chamados roteadores de jogos e outros produtos de nicho como o GT-AC5300. Eles tendem a custar mais, entregar mais do que você não precisa e desfrutar de menos suporte do OEM e de terceiros.

O RT-AC86U possui criptografia de hardware e é considerado um bom desempenho como um roteador VPN.

OE
[/ CITAR]

Vlw !!!

É que tenho uma oportunidade boa para pegar um GT 5300, mas, pelo que vejo aqui o aparelho é furada. Incrível como um aparelho que deveria ter sido o 'carro-chefe' da Asus, terminou causando apenas frustração aos proprietários.

É que tenho uma oportunidade boa para pegar um GT 5300, mas, pelo que vejo aqui o aparelho é furada. Incrível como um aparelho que deveria ter sido o 'carro-chefe' da Asus, terminou causando apenas frustração aos proprietários.

Yes, appears so.

OE

Avoid this model. It’s an awful router, full of bugs, most functions had to be disable in order to work properly. Personally speaking I couldn’t never use vpn function without errors more than one day and always had to factory reset in order to put it online again.

[QUOTE = "Vicente Damiani, postagem: 623169, membro: 54632"]
Evite este modelo. É um roteador horrível, cheio de bugs, a maioria das funções teve que ser desabilitada para funcionar corretamente. Pessoalmente falando, eu nunca poderia usar a função vpn sem erros por mais de um dia e sempre tive que fazer o reset de fábrica para colocá-lo online novamente.
[/CITAR]

De lascar!

Mesmo continua bugado?

Yes, still buggy. I still have to have all the bells and whistles disabled for it to not run itself aground every few weeks. I still have to power-cycle it monthly to keep it working correctly.

The big issue with it is its 64-bit architecture: nobody is developing custom firmware for it. Asus needs to learn what IBM back in the day and did not that Microsoft did: awesome hardware is just a paperweight without good software.

For me, Asus wonderful tech specs got them one sale but their poor firmware cost them a life-long customer: I stopped buying / recommending their laptops and motherboards for this reason and now I swore off their networking hardware. That's three strikes, so they're out: I'm not buying anything from Asus (or, by association, ASrock) henceforth.

So, yeah, avoid the GT5300. The RT5300 (32-bit) with custom firmware might be a great choice.

I guess everyone has had different experiences of this router but for me it has been spot on and rock solid throughout the 12 months since I bought it but I agree that it has become a niche product and worry it won't get the same attention with firmware upgrades as the mainstream routers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!