What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does anyone have the GT-AC5300_3.0.0.4_382_15984-gf481f58_cferom_ubi_0824.w firmware? Not the 0821, I am running that one already. Thanks in advance.

I noticed today my router shows the following. I have a full connection so not sure why it says to check connection.
Internet status:
Check Connection...

I've seen another report of this and I have the same thing. Seems like just a cosmetic issue.

I've seen another report of this and I have the same thing. Seems like just a cosmetic issue.
Yes but very annoying lol.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus

Reactions: eJC
Update: So I turned the router off via Power Button, Then unplugged it (dunno if this actually helps) for a few mins. Plugged it back in, powered up.. and BAM, back to 800Mb flow speeds LAN -> USB while file copying. Hopefully this time it stays that way. No more 15Mb cap

This error seems to be spamming in my log file - ERR[set_app_info_qos_meta:3361] It's a paid app, please assign a default bandwidth! - after the firmware update and a reset.

15984 has been solid for me, no hiccups. Really enjoying this router again.

On a side note, is there a way to see what devices are behind a device reporting to be serving multiple connections? In my network map it shows a Cisco (hostname) device serving 5 connections, the icon is a Canon Photo Printer description with a webcam icon image, and the MAC address is reserved for ARRIS. I have a strong hunch that this is my DirecTV Genie devices (one hub and four genie mini's in different rooms) since ARRIS bought Pace a couple of years ago, but the MAC address listed on the connection is not any of the mac addresses on the DirecTV devices. Next up is to take out the card from the DirecTV DVR to see if they have it set up where that would be the host for some reason (instead of the hub), but I'd like to see if the Asus router somehow detects what's connected through other devices. Probably can't see past the ARRIS host, but who knows.

I've done an nmap scan on the IP assigned to that MAC and nmap believes the host is down.

EDIT: It was the DirecTV main DVR, the wireless host for the genie config must be using MAC clone since the mac of the Genie Hub was different per the label and the IP of the DVR was different (doubt it's using multiple IP's). Either way, that's solved to be what I expected. But still wondering if any logs on the GT-AC5300 show any info on those shared connections.

Last edited:
I decided to buy this thing and I don't regret! I'm on Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.382_15984 and I have no issues achieving 940 Mb/s down from my ISP (I have Gigabit connection) when using cable connection. This means that WAN-LAN speed on current firmware is much better than when Tim was testing this and there are no routing issues.

As for WiFi I tested with a MacBook Pro (I believe it has 3x3 radio) and I can achieve 500-600 Mb/s anywhere in my small apartment and sometimes around 700-800 Mb/s. In close proximity to the router I even had peeks up to 900 Mb/s but 700-800 Mb/s is typical.

So for those who were scared by routing issues in Tim's test (only around 700 Mb/s WAN-LAN): current firmware apparently fixes all that.

Sidetracking to Smart Connect really quick. Has anybody had issues connecting WiFi IP cameras to the network, or using a Logitech Harmony Ultimate with device detection on 2.4Ghz, and found a fix? I'd like to enable it but can't because my IP cameras over WiFi will see the Smart Connect SSID but won't actually connect. The Logitech Harmony Ultimate is another issue since that involves some logistics of having to force devices on the 2.4Ghz (since it doesn't have a 5Ghz radio...smart thinking Logitech...) during detection, but even then it had trouble seeing some stuff when Smart Connect was on.

Yes, the new firmware seems much better - connections are maintained even with QOS. However, connections via OpenVPN are still horrible - especially given the encrypting / decrypting capabilities of the CPU. Hopefully the optimization of OpenVPN is on the ASUS to do list.

Loaded up latest firmware from website last night. Reset to factory and then rebuilt router again. Should have 24 hour burnin testing done by tonight. Was able to game over both PS4's this morning without any disconnects. PS4's on different games and multiple things going on.

Yes, the new firmware seems much better - connections are maintained even with QOS. However, connections via OpenVPN are still horrible - especially given the encrypting / decrypting capabilities of the CPU. Hopefully the optimization of OpenVPN is on the ASUS to do list.
It would be awesome to be able to assign certain ports to OpenVPN rather than IP's. Have a single node use both the local ISP as well as a VPN depending on the port being used for transmission. Hope they add that some day.

24 hr burn in report.
Still seeing strange errors in log on router. Almost the same as found in beta's leading up to this release. The good news is, it is a major improvement from the June 2017 production OS load. Hopefully we will get a few more fixes come September.

example...
Aug 28 21:39:10 kernel: ERR[set_app_info_qos_meta:3335] Failed to find app info entry (1-4-193)!
Aug 28 21:39:10 kernel: ERR[set_app_info_qos_meta:3361] It's a paid app, please assign a default bandwidth!
Aug 28 21:39:10 kernel: ERR[set_app_info_qos_meta:3361] It's a paid app, please assign a default bandwidth!
Aug 28 22:12:42 kernel: br0: received packet on eth6 with own address as source address
Aug 28 22:12:49 kernel: br0: received packet on eth8 with own address as source address

I am receiving the same in my logs. I had one wireless disconnect and the log was insane after it. I saved it and will upload it later. Seemed like a catastrophic event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is best to use the feedback option in the router. This goes directly to Asus developers.

Mmmmhhh.... [emoji15]
6fe636cbf76c91f14d2857f61f619b45.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!