What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Will have access to a Beta soon with the some of the following fixes:

- Allow offline clients to be displayed as custom modified name rather than mac address.
- Display device name instead of mac address in GameIPS Malicious Sites, IPS and Infected Devices pages
- Fix QoS message problem when using paid app
- Fix Parental Control time scheduling problems
- Fix wifi interoperation problem with open/shared wep authentication
- Fix GUI bugs and browser compatibility problem
What happens if we do a factory reset, then restore from saved settings? Will that be an issue?

I have a lot of port forwarding and DHCP rules

Will be installing the beta tonight. Hardware/ specs-wise, this should be an upgrade from the old R7000 I have, but hasn't been thusfar. Seems I've had throughput issues on a few of the LAN ports as well as solid coverage on Wifi. Do need to play with antenna orientation more though so see if that helps...possibly optimizing 1-4 for downstairs and 5-8 for upstairs??

Sometimes I think OpenVPN crashes under heavy load and it takes quite some time to open up the VPN Fusion tab.

I see a number of fixes in 382_16466 that was just released for the RT-AC86U. Not sure how many of these fixes were present in 382_159xx, but I'd expect the next GT-AC5300 release to be a good bit more stable. Some of the recent fixes involves OpenVPN (properly saving key/certs) and the Trend Micro engine (the router no longer randomly become unresponsive when Trend Micro features are enabled).

Agreed.

And Comcast blocks the ports to email the devs thru the router.

Sigh

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Copy and paste log into normal email and send it to the Asus router support email that shows up in the Feedback tab when it has failed.
With regards to the slowing down of the connection, run a speed test to see what the actual speed is. I have a issue where my internet connection slows down to a crawl and is only rectified by disabling and re-enabling the network connection in Win 10 Network and sharing window - can also be done through Device Manager.

I sold my Netgear Orbi on eBay after a terrible experience with the Orbi and purchased the Asus GT AC5300. So far I haven't had any issues with devices disconnecting and it's just as fast as the Orbi.

The issues that I have seen so far are they networked devices aren't showing the correct connections wired/wireless and it only labels them by mac id. Not they way my other Asus router detects them. I don't like the deep red UI. I would much rather have the blue UI. The web history doesn't seem to work either. It logs about 2-3 days and it doesn't update.

Does anyone know when the next beta release will be out?

Copy and paste log into normal email and send it to the Asus router support email that shows up in the Feedback tab when it has failed.
With regards to the slowing down of the connection, run a speed test to see what the actual speed is. I have a issue where my internet connection slows down to a crawl and is only rectified by disabling and re-enabling the network connection in Win 10 Network and sharing window - can also be done through Device Manager.

Cox also blocks the feedback function. They should do a rethink of how this is sent since all the major US ISPs block such action.

Warning. Do not click on check for new firmware on the latest 9.0.0.4.382.16603.
I did mine tonight and it backwards installed the latest release from August, 3.0.0.4.382.15984. It only said there is a new firmware in a blank popup, never told what version it found. It only had two button option. Install or cancel. So now looks like I have to reload the beta again....

BTW, think I may have found another issue but it will require lots more testing to see. I use a internet based garage door opener system called MYQ, from liftmaster/chamberlain which enables my phone to see when the garage door has been open etc. This stopped working around the time I switched out to this router. The wall button just beeps and fails to open the garage door. Come to find out there is known incompatibility with other routers from Linksys and Trendnet using Sonicwall. Seems to be issue with UDP timeout through the firewall. Requires the firewall not to kill the UDP connection after 30 secs, which sonic does by default. Requires a change to 180 secs. However, I see no such option in the ASUS coding currently. Both production and beta. Link is here for anyone having the same issue.
https://www.liftmaster.com/catalogr...ragedooropener/internetgateway/troubleshootin
g/internetgateway_networkswitch.htm?Highlight=wall%20opener%20will%20not%20stop%20beeping

Warning. Do not click on check for new firmware on the latest 9.0.0.4.382.16603.
I did mine tonight and it backwards installed the latest release from August, 3.0.0.4.382.15984. It only said there is a new firmware in a blank popup, never told what version it found. It only had two button option. Install or cancel. So now looks like I have to reload the beta again....

BTW, think I may have found another issue but it will require lots more testing to see. I use a internet based garage door opener system called MYQ, from liftmaster/chamberlain which enables my phone to see when the garage door has been open etc. This stopped working around the time I switched out to this router. The wall button just beeps and fails to open the garage door. Come to find out there is known incompatibility with other routers from Linksys and Trendnet using Sonicwall. Seems to be issue with UDP timeout through the firewall. Requires the firewall not to kill the UDP connection after 30 secs, which sonic does by default. Requires a change to 180 secs. However, I see no such option in the ASUS coding currently. Both production and beta. Link is here for anyone having the same issue.
https://www.liftmaster.com/catalogr...ragedooropener/internetgateway/troubleshootin
g/internetgateway_networkswitch.htm?Highlight=wall%20opener%20will%20not%20stop%20beeping

No issues here with the latest BETA and MyQ

I have a new wall plate ordered for the MYQ. Arrives Thursday. There is a long list of complaints about the capacitors used in the wall button last about 2-3 years then blow. Causing the same steady beep and no work result. Hopefully have it tested by Friday.

UPDATE- After hours of testing, searching the MYQ boards and finally pulling the wall unit apart, I can clearly state this is NOT an ASUS issue. Found a failed capacitor on the wall button unit. They must be using some really cheap ones per the unit made date is only 8/13. Forums littered with others having the same issue with the 888LM wall controller. Capacitor is clearly popcorned or bulged at the top.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am on Sky broadband in the UK, they are very awkward about people using their own 3rd party routers. Can anyone advise as to whether this router have the Option 61 field on the wan page as I've read that Merlin is unlikely to make a version of his firmware for the GT AC5300?
Any help greatly appreciated :^)

Hello Pickles,
I do not see any option 61 field on the current beta release of code for the GT-AC5300. You could request it by writing to "'router_feedback@asus.com'"

Can anybody comment on VPN support?
I know the new CPU has IPSec hardware support.
Does it support L2TP+ IPSec?
OpenVPN throughput?
Thanks!

Asus made some major changes to how nvram is handled on this router, to help protect against buffer overruns (now each nvram value has a declared maximum size for instance). The new Broadcom SDK also handles nvram differently from past platforms (with some new restrictions), causing further issues. Finally, I suspect Asus just rewrote a lot of their OpenVPN implementation, since it's now closed source. All of this combined together has created a lot of separate issues with OpenVPN.

The good news at least is that all of this is fixable. I'm still sorting through all those similar issues with my own firmware code at the moment, and I'm starting to get close to having the whole OpenVPN implementation working properly again, one fix after another. This time however Asus will have to fix the stock FW implementation on their own, as I can't fix their closed source code... And this time, I've put a GPL licence on my own code. Lesson learned.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!