What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It only has more antennas because it has more radios to broadcast. They do not have any impact on coverage, it's still limited to 4 antennas per radio, and a client can only connect to one radio.

The RT-AC86U has 1 internal and 3 external, that's not a big difference.

Overlap will decrease performance rather than increase it, due to interference.

Personally I would go for an RT-AC68U or RT-AC66U_B1 for the extra APs, since you most likely don't need four streams (very few do), and you definitely won't need the extra CPU power while operating as APs or nodes.

Test with just one GT-AC5300 in the basement and an RT-AC68U in the middle floor - you will see how it works out. I've been able to cover two floors with lowly RT-N12 in the past for some customers, it will depend on your physical layout.

Great, thanks for the response. Any idea how the backhaul works in general or in my scenario if the main floor AC86u is wired (LAN switch to WAN port). And, the other 5300 is a wireless node on the top floor. I set both nodes to preferred Ethernet instead of the Auto they were defaulting to. But, what does this mean for my wireless 5300 node upstairs when it's a wireless node to begin with. Am I better to switch the nodes around so the 5300 node goes into the wired position on the main floor and vice versa with the AC86u going upstairs and connecting wireless as a node? And, if I try just one node to avoid any overlapping (if any) I would probably use the 5300 on main floor as the only wired node.

Great, thanks for the response. Any idea how the backhaul works in general or in my scenario if the main floor AC86u is wired (LAN switch to WAN port). And, the other 5300 is a wireless node on the top floor. I set both nodes to preferred Ethernet instead of the Auto they were defaulting to. But, what does this mean for my wireless 5300 node upstairs when it's a wireless node to begin with. Am I better to switch the nodes around so the 5300 node goes into the wired position on the main floor and vice versa with the AC86u going upstairs and connecting wireless as a node? And, if I try just one node to avoid any overlapping (if any) I would probably use the 5300 on main floor as the only wired node.
If you have a typical 3-story (2+basement) house, 3,000 sq ft or so, the 5300 effectively placed around the middle of the middle floor should do a very good job. Don't forget to angle half the antennas (vertical and 45-degrees; they have a detent).

I guess Asus is on this forum? As reported already, the iOS app is not working well by way of showing Wired and Wireless devices. I don't get any Wireless Devices at all listed in the Devices section of the Application. I do get Wired Devices showing in the Devices section. And, on the Home/Wheel screen, it does show a Wireless and Wired count. BUT, the decvice count seems to not change and it's not accurate. It's missing devices and the count on Home/Wheel screen is the same - never changes and the count is missing devices for both.

And, the iOS application (when attempting to connect remotely - so not on my LAN) always tries to look for a LAN connection for a very long time before it tries the DDNS connection which most times fails to connect on the LAN and then does not even jump to the DDNS. Closing/restarting the application will repeat the Local Connection attempt and take a while before it fails and then hops to the DDNS and actually connects so this part is not working well either. When outside my home, so remote, the app should be smart enough to just engage the DDNS connection without even attempting the Local one.

Last edited:
If you have a typical 3-story (2+basement) house, 3,000 sq ft or so, the 5300 effectively placed around the middle of the middle floor should do a very good job. Don't forget to angle half the antennas (vertical and 45-degrees; they have a detent).

So would I be better putting the 5300 in the middle even though I can't wire it in there. Or, would I better off putting the 5300 in the middle floor wired into the network in place of the AC86U but it would be to one extreme side of the middle floor. And then just go with the two 5300's and forego the AC86u or put the AC86u upstairs in wireless as this is currently where the 5300 node is. Figured the 5300 would be more powerful as the wireless Aimesh node if I stuck with all 3 - 5300 router, Aimesh AC86u wired and 5300 Aimesh wireless - or just two 5300's. Will try obviously ALL combinations.

Hello,
my problem is that the router lose a WiFi connnetions every few hours. For about 3-5 minutes the SSIDs are not visible, all devices lose internet connection and if i connect to router using lan cable I'm ale to log in but all thing are working very slow and not all options are available. After 5 minutes the router is working properly again. Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.382_15984. The router is working without active WiFi smart connect

Did you find a fix for this, mine does the same with newest official fw.

So would I be better putting the 5300 in the middle even though I can't wire it in there. Or, would I better off putting the 5300 in the middle floor wired into the network in place of the AC86U but it would be to one extreme side of the middle floor. And then just go with the two 5300's and forego the AC86u or put the AC86u upstairs in wireless as this is currently where the 5300 node is. Figured the 5300 would be more powerful as the wireless Aimesh node if I stuck with all 3 - 5300 router, Aimesh AC86u wired and 5300 Aimesh wireless - or just two 5300's. Will try obviously ALL combinations.
Try the simplest first, then add complexity when necessary or positively beneficial. If there isn't anything unusual about your house, one 5300 should perform very well inside and, if stick-built, outside also.

I would wire it in the best possible location available on the middle floor. Set it flat, antennae alternating between vertical and 45-degrees. Keep it away from metal, lighting, electric motors.

Then, I would take a cell phone around the house to read my WiFi dBm and throughput throughout the house and in the garage, driveway, yard. Turn off mobile data and run speed tests at various locations. Repeat for different router locations.

If you have dead spots, then I would redesign accordingly.

Note that 2.4 GHz will go further than 5GHz (the lower the frequency, the more, say, "penetrating power" it has--think of hearing a stereo through walls: you hear the bass the loudest), so putting the devices furthest away on 2.4GHz may be beneficial.

I would do this without SmartConnect since SmartConnect hasn't worked for me; it drops connections and eventually the whole router stops passing traffic until I reboot it. Get everything working without it for a few days and then if you want to try it, back up your settings and give it a whirl.

More devices = more RF interference; more complexity = more that can go wrong, especially with unfinished firmware (this router's firmware is unfinished--too many fundamental bugs to even call it a beta by definition)

Is anyone else having issues with port forwarding? I use my Synology for IPSec/L2TP VPN (so I can use the native client on all my devices), most of the time it doesn't work. I can see the packets being accepted in the logs of the router, but the traffic doesn't get forwarded. I even put the IP used for VPN in the DMZ and it still doesn't work. Anyone figure out a workaround?

If I install my back-up, an RT-AC87U, in place of the 5300...I have zero issues with VPN.

@rroach3753 - never, not since I bought this router. And I changed quite a few firmwares.
And I'm using port forwarding 24x7.
Did you create the rules in port forwarding under WAN settings (that's what I'm using) or under Game Profile (can't really understand why is under this menu too and what would be the difference between those 2).

Another question: why do you do VPN to Synology? It easier to do VPN on the router and get easy access to the entire network without any need for special routing. Granted, VPN performance on this router is very bad for the hardware it has and if performance is what you're aiming, doing VPN on a powerful Synology makes much more sense.

Never, not since I bought this router. And I changed quite a few firmwares.
And I'm using port forwarding 24x7.
Did you create the rules in port forwarding under WAN settings (that's what I'm using) or under Game Profile (can't really understand why is under this menu too and what would be the difference between those 2).

The rules are created under the WAN. But it appears you could set them in either place. If you turn off port forwarding in one location it turns it off in the other location.

Another question: why do you do VPN to Synology? It easier to do VPN on the router and get easy access to the entire network without any need for special routing. Granted, VPN performance on this router is very bad for the hardware it has and if performance is what you're aiming, doing VPN on a powerful Synology makes much more sense.

By using the Synology for the VPN server I can use the Windows Built-In VPN client and not have to install outdated, antiquated software (VPN Access Manager from Shrew.net).

The rules are created under the WAN. But it appears you could set them in either place. If you turn off port forwarding in one location it turns it off in the other location.

By using the Synology for the VPN server I can use the Windows Built-In VPN client and not have to install outdated, antiquated software (VPN Access Manager from Shrew.net).
You can use the builtin Windows vpn client with the router

You can use the builtin Windows vpn client with the router

Really? I tried but couldn't get it to work! I'll give it another go. Besides, if I use the Synology, I can also use my AD Credentials to connect.

Really? I tried but couldn't get it to work! I'll give it another go. Besides, if I use the Synology, I can also use my AD Credentials to connect.
Does PPTP and IPSec. AD sync the router does not do, but you can add your credentials to match.

i know on 384_20467 beta i am getting these error's again in System log but nothing is hitting system performance

Mar 16 16:36:47 kernel: pgd = ffffffc02e3a5000
Mar 16 16:36:47 kernel: [36223a2e] *pgd=000000002e11f003, *pud=000000002e11f003, *pmd=0000000000000000
Mar 16 16:36:47 kernel: CPU: 0 PID: 19804 Comm: mastiff Tainted: P O 4.1.27 #2
Mar 16 16:36:47 kernel: Hardware name: Broadcom-v8A (DT)
Mar 16 16:36:47 kernel: task: ffffffc03424c040 ti: ffffffc025fa4000 task.ti: ffffffc025fa4000
Mar 16 16:36:47 kernel: PC is at 0xf7212218
Mar 16 16:36:47 kernel: LR is at 0x0
Mar 16 16:36:47 kernel: pc : [<00000000f7212218>] lr : [<0000000000000000>] pstate: 60010010
Mar 16 16:36:47 kernel: sp : 00000000ff8764b0
Mar 16 16:36:47 kernel: x12: 00000000ff8764d4
Mar 16 16:36:47 kernel: x11: 00000000f72df7a8 x10: 00000000f72df7d8
Mar 16 16:36:47 kernel: x9 : 0000000036223a22 x8 : 0000000000000040
Mar 16 16:36:47 kernel: x7 : 0000000000000000 x6 : 0000000000299a78
Mar 16 16:36:47 kernel: x5 : 0000000000000050 x4 : 0000000000299a28
Mar 16 16:36:47 kernel: x3 : 00000000f7007d22 x2 : 00000000f72df7b8
Mar 16 16:36:47 kernel: x1 : 0000000000000000 x0 : 0000000000000000
Mar 16 20:37:09 rc_service: watchdog 885:notify_rc stop_aae
Mar 16 20:37:09 rc_service: watchdog 885:notify_rc start_mastiff
Mar 16 20:37:09 rc_service: waitting "stop_aae" via watchdog ...
Mar 16 16:37:09 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Mar 16 16:37:09 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Mar 16 16:37:10 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Mar 16 16:37:10 AAE: AAE Service is started
Mar 16 16:37:10 Mastiff: init

I had nothing but issues with 20467...radios kept dropping out or I'd get errors stating my password wasn't valid. And did do reset/ nvram clear and set up router from scratch after upgrading from 20308.

Hello all. Have to ask before i leave my router back to the store. I did also had problems with radios that just stopped working. From what i have read in here this could be a software problem or....? I was afraid that this had to Do with the hardware? Maybe i should wait then. The thing is that i only have about 8 days to return the router.

I had nothing but issues with 20467...radios kept dropping out or I'd get errors stating my password wasn't valid. And did do reset/ nvram clear and set up router from scratch after upgrading from 20308.
That stinks. My has been working flawless now. I did h ave to factory reset.

Take this for what it is worth (i thought they were crazy) support once told me that you have to factory reset 3 times to complete cleat our the router.

Hello all. Have to ask before i leave my router back to the store. I did also had problems with radios that just stopped working. From what i have read in here this could be a software problem or....? I was afraid that this had to Do with the hardware? Maybe i should wait then. The thing is that i only have about 8 days to return the router.
Get out while you still can!

Take this for what it is worth (i thought they were crazy) support once told me that you have to factory reset 3 times to complete cleat our the router.
For those bits that get stuck in the copper runs....high cholesterol and all...it's the silent killer...

---

20467 runs better for me than 20311 did; I was getting crashes/reboots with 311 but I have 4 days' uptime with 467, which I never had before. I only did a power cycle, no reset (dirty flash).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!