What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is anyone seeing any stability fixes with this firmware?

I was able to install this from the router itself (Administration > Firmware Update). The notes, as everyone has said, indicate this is only to support China, Europe, Asia Pacific and Taiwan. However, I no longer have any problems with Sonos (and I didn't even have to buy a Boost).

I'm using Link Aggregation, the VPN Client, Traffic Monitoring, WiFi site survey profiling with all counters across 3 bands (you will have to reconfigure this after the firmware update as it doesn't appear this configuration is saved), and routing of 100Mbps downstream all without hitting much more than 20% CPU utilization and 50% memory utilization.

Is anyone seeing any stability fixes with this firmware?

There's almost no change between 11242 and 11243. It's mostly at the webui level, translations, and channel support for EU. Might be some driver level change, but the firmware code itself is mostly identical.

I've been using this router for the past week and other than the internal hardware that's better it seems to be the same thing as the RT5300. Yeah it has features etc but no noticeable difference between the two.

However After going from my AC88U To having this router has the main router and putting the AC88U as my repeater my network performance has increased so there was definitely a bottleneck for me.

My Ping times in Over watch have been reduced by nearly half. With the AC88U I was getting 23-27MS now I get 13-15MS I've put most of my devices on the None gaming band and with the AC88U My throughput has increased throughout the house. I was running a AC68R and a AC88U before.

So for me having the two radios made a big difference in latency and throughput going from my old AC88U + AC68R(Repeater) to a AC5300 Main router with the AC88U As a repeater. As far as the RTAC5300 Vs the GT5300 I really at this time can't tell a difference.

**Update**
I'm constantly getting this in the system log however.

ay 17 04:03:18 kernel: jffs2: warning: (12028) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -1764
May 17 07:35:46 kernel: jffs2: warning: (12028) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -14
May 17 09:39:55 kernel: jffs2: warning: (12028) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -1748
May 17 10:14:00 kernel: jffs2: warning: (12028) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -580
May 17 11:10:47 kernel: jffs2: warning: (12028) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -730
May 17 11:26:27 kernel: jffs2: warning: (12028) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -918

Any idea what causes this?

Last edited:
Try disabling Airtime Fairness.
I was having constant boot loop issues too. I tried all different Cat cables (5,6,7), reflashed the router with the older firmware updates multiple times, and disabled the Airtime Fairness. Nothing worked for me. So, when I went back to the latest firmware update version 3.0.0.4.382.11243, and reset the router afterwards, I decided to try something different as I was setting up the Rapture GT-AC5300 once again. I did not enable Game Boost, and QOS. I just applied my devices in the QOS-WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor, and rebooted while leaving Airtime Fairness still enabled. The constant boot loops, connection drop outs immediately stopped. It's been over 19 hours without a single disconnect so far. Hope this helps for those running out of ideas. Hopefully, there will be some kind of open source firmware in the future that will make this router really shine. Hint, Hint.

I purchased mine Sunday to replace my AC66u and i must be lucky i have had 0 issues what so ever so far "knock on wood"

I was having constant boot loop issues too. I tried all different Cat cables (5,6,7), reflashed the router with the older firmware updates multiple times, and disabled the Airtime Fairness. Nothing worked for me. So, when I went back to the latest firmware update version 3.0.0.4.382.11243, and reset the router afterwards, I decided to try something different as I was setting up the Rapture GT-AC5300 once again. I did not enable Game Boost, and QOS. I just applied my devices in the QOS-WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor, and rebooted while leaving Airtime Fairness still enabled. The constant boot loops, connection drop outs immediately stopped. It's been over 19 hours without a single disconnect so far. Hope this helps for those running out of ideas. Hopefully, there will be some kind of open source firmware in the future that will make this router really shine. Hint, Hint.

I would love any one who does a open source firmware. I'm trying your strategy I turned off QOS and airtime fairness.

There is a problem I at least only have with Asus routers, that is huge bufferbloat. I do not have any where near that much bloat with my old netgear x6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love any one who does a open source firmware. I'm trying your strategy I turned off QOS and airtime fairness.

There is a problem I at least only have with Asus routers, that is huge bufferbloat. I do not have any where near that much bloat with my old netgear x6.

So far mine is still stable, and no disconnects yet (knocks on wood). It just sucks now that I can't use the Game Boost, and QOS. Hopefully Asus is working on the next firmware update that address all the bugs making this thing disconnect every 2 minutes, or so.

Yeah I'm in contact with Asus network support and am trying to get early copies of beta firmware that I will Not definitely totally will not under any circumstances ever ever send it to anyone who asks for it or ever post it on a forum. Or will I? Who knows maybe I'm talking in codes to protect my butt lmfao.

So far the above actions made my router stable!

That's good to hear. I'm glad to help. Before I tried that setup I had exchanged the Rapture 10 times (3 was DOA, 2 had dead radios, and the other 5 had the constant reboot issue) thinking it was a bad batch that was manufactured. So, now since this setup works for you too that means it's definitely bad software. Time to hammer Asus with emails until they fix the problem. LOL!

Anyone getting these or know what they mean? I see these in the log file. Flooded with the second one.. Everything seems to work fine though.

May 20 12:02:06 dnsmasq[701]: failed to send packet: Network is unreachable
May 20 13:00:53 dnsmasq[701]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted

I just got mine today. No major issues with it. Other than two things.

OMG the router pages load SLLLLOOOOWWWW. 8-11 seconds to load a couple different pages. Yes, I timed it. Um Asus, with a 1.7ghz processsor (?)... I pretty much expected router pages to come up instantly.

The GUI is horrible looking. I mean red on black? No way to change it?

We'll see how stable it is...

Anyone have any issues with VPN client on this router? I setup a new connection and it hosed the router. I have to restore to factory defaults and upload a saved config file to get all back to normal.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!