What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry, new to the GT-ac5300. I did a quick setup on this a couple of days ago with no problems but I must have clicked a switch tonight that was wrong as the log is full of:
Oct 31 20:49:24 dnsmasq[4603]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted
Oct 31 20:51:35 dnsmasq[4603]: failed to send packet: Network is unreachable
Oct 31 20:53:11 dnsmasq[4603]: failed to send packet: Network is unreachable

First error now replaced with this:
Oct 31 22:01:19 kernel: ERR[set_app_info_qos_meta:3361] It's a paid app, please assign a default bandwidth!

I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks

Last edited:
ahh ok I'm just wondering in the case of multi console support and things, eg two Xbox one consoles both with open nat running for example black ops 3, both game copies having open nat.
I just want to be sure that it works, and its not like the last time I used asus wrt on my 88u, and my nat went from open to moderate on a single pc, and I had nat issues when I tried to launch 2 copies of black ops 3 on on the main pc and another on the spare pc, first copy had open nat second had mod nat both games use the same port number, unfortunately the router didn't correctly redirect to another external port for the second copy thankfully RMerlin fixed it in his firmware, I'm just not sure if its still an issue in asus wrt on the gt-5300, that's why I'm asking, cause if its been fixed on this unit it, make the unit more palatable as per say, if I do decide to purchase one.
It shows Open Nat in BO3 with 2 XboxOne S connected. It also works fine in BF1 and hosting parties and voice parties.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8

It shows Open Nat in BO3 with 2 XboxOne S connected. It also works fine in BF1 and hosting parties and voice parties.

so both consoles are running a copy of bo3, and you haven't changes the network ports of the Xbox consoles from the default 3074. I'm just wanting to be sure before I decided to drop around $700 AUD on this unit it better be worth every penny considering the lack of merlin support.

Last edited:
so both consoles are running a copy of bo3, and you haven't changes the network ports of the Xbox consoles from the default 3074. I'm just wanting to be sure before I decided to drop around $700 AUD on this unit it better be worth every penny considering the lack of merlin support.
That is correct.

That is correct.

ahh so they enabled full cone nat can you do me a favor plz and check your xbox to see if you got the update that lets you change network ports, I have it since I'm in the preview program, I'm not sure if they change the ports by default or your upnp log, id really appreciate it, thnx in advanced.

ahh so they enabled full cone nat can you do me a favor plz and check your xbox to see if you got the update that lets you change network ports, I have it since I'm in the preview program, I'm not sure if they change the ports by default or your upnp log, id really appreciate it, thnx in advanced.
I'm in the preview as well so I assume it's same as yours :)

ahh I changed the default ports so if irc its both default port 3074, but I'm not sure I don't have another xbox to test incase it auto changes ports.

ahh I changed the default ports so if irc its both default port 3074, but I'm not sure I don't have another xbox to test incase it auto changes ports.
I didn't change Anything myself. I used a DMZ for a month but turned if off as I needed it for my NAS server / Plex Server.

ASUS claims the GT-AC5300 is not vulnerable to the KRACK WPA attack. Lots of other routers named too.

That's not what they said...

Full list of routers unaffected by KRACK while in default mode:

So, as previously mentioned: routers running in router or AP mode are not vulnerable. Only routers running in Repeater or Media Bridge mode are.

And many of your clients will need to be updated, because they're the targets of this exploit. This means mostly Android/Linux devices will require updates. Apple and Microsoft pushed updates a while back, and wireless NIC manufacturers have started pushing updates (Intel pushed an update a few weeks ago).

ahh ok, I wasn't sure, but they fixed multi console nat though?

Not going down that road again, sorry. Been debated to death already... Plenty of people reporting they did not have any problem with two consoles in the past.

Not going down that road again, sorry. Been debated to death already... Plenty of people reporting they did not have any problem with two consoles in the past.
all good dont worry, i just though asus might have enabled full cone since i notice that it was a feature in the 86u in your amzing project, thats all.

Last edited:
My "NAT Type" is moderate for Call of Duty, both my roommate and I have a PS4 Pro.

That's a different thing.

Dnsmasq is not compiled with support to operate as an authoritative nameserver. You can't customize its config file either.

Ah, well I did manage to get it to respond to queries for my local network...but they were lost upon reboot :( I guess I'll just setup an internal DNS server in my Web Server VM.

Asus really dropped the ball on firmware support, they're behind on this and the IPMI firmware on my X99-WS/IPMI is from 2015 and crashes all the time to the point where it's pretty much useless. Also that motherboard cost $100 more than this router which is insane on both fronts, especially considering the lack of support.

I did a quick setup on this a couple of days ago with no problems but I must have clicked a switch tonight that was wrong as the log is full of:

First error now replaced with this:
Oct 31 22:01:19 kernel: ERR[set_app_info_qos_meta:3361] It's a paid app, please assign a default bandwidth!

I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks
I just fired up a new RT-AC88U with pretty much default settings and am getting logs filled with this garbage. I don't have QoS enabled and can not for the life of me figure out what "paid app" it's talking about or if it's trying to enable QoS and wants me to just set something and forget it. But if I'm not using it, I shouldn't have to set it. It's *disabled*!

And at least for me I have found the first message you're getting fills up my logs when I open a browser like Firefox or IE. When those are not open on my Windows 10 computer and I'm accessing the router's log file via an Android tablet using Chrome, those messages stop. So it has something to do with browsers on my PC.

If it's useless info, it would be nice to know how to stop it because all the important information is pushed out of the log for this garbage and I can't see if anything important requires my attention.

Does anyone know how to stop the "paid app, assign a bandwidth" message and can someone tell us what dnsmasq has to do with an open browser?

Asus fixed the "paid app" error that the GT-AC5300 was getting by updating the firmware code.

Did you open a ticket with support to get in the preview program? Right now most of the features are disabled on my router due to various issues. I am currently running on the latest code Asus has on their site and hoping to see an update soon. I sure would like to see if the latest stuff released fixes my issues.

Thanks!

Asus fixed the "paid app" error that the GT-AC5300 was getting by updating the firmware code.
If they did, it's not working on my router (RT-AC88U) which came with 3.0.0.4.380_7743 but I updated to 3.0.0.4.382_15850 when I set it up. So, different router but still the same problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!