What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does anyone have PIA VPN connected on an ASUS router? What WAN DNS entries are you using? I contacted PIA but they haven't gotten back to me :p

What firmware are you on? The official or beta? Either way you have to set the VPN up activate it and then add each device manually. I have Nord and IPVanish and have never been able to click the VPN as default connection and have it work. Adding each client seems to work much better. Try it out and let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone got any screen shots using the WiFi on 5Ghz 1 and 2 I know I have a 100mbps connection and on average I get about 45 to 50mbps on each I just wanna make sure it’s not my CAT5e cable to my modem it’s 100ft long should I switch to Cat6 from modem to router?

Guys can someone help me? I think this could happen at any model but as i have a Gt one i`ll ask here

I have a HD attached at the router as a media server, but everytime the router reboots the media server status go to scanning and stay like this forever and i cant acess my previous synced media, i have to sync all the things again at my apple tv for example or Infuse like apps, is there a way to fix this scanning thing that makes all the media unavaiable?

Anyone? This is more annoying than the port 1 bug for me

So in the next half hour, hour, I'll be heading to my local Micro Center to pick up a free 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive, and while I'm there I know i'll be tempted to shop around. The GT AC-5300 worth picking up? I don't think my user scenario would see major benefits.. but we are comparing it against my RT N66U. I could always lease it for a month (1 month return policy) and see how it goes.. hmm.

Anyone got any screen shots using the WiFi on 5Ghz 1 and 2 I know I have a 100mbps connection and on average I get about 45 to 50mbps on each I just wanna make sure it’s not my CAT5e cable to my modem it’s 100ft long should I switch to Cat6 from modem to router?

According to the game boost dials and netwprk map im getting upwards of 800 mbps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So in the next half hour, hour, I'll be heading to my local Micro Center to pick up a free 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive, and while I'm there I know i'll be tempted to shop around. The GT AC-5300 worth picking up? I don't think my user scenario would see major benefits.. but we are comparing it against my RT N66U. I could always lease it for a month (1 month return policy) and see how it goes.. hmm.

I work at Micro Center! (Saint Louis,Mo) Lol. I also own the GT5300, I am blown away by the speed and features of it, however the reliability of the firmwares are obviously an issue for many. The Asus rep said they are focusing on aimesh technology and the triband routers are causing some issues, so I assume that is what is pushing back the GT5300's updates. I still recommend it as they almost always (eventually) fix it all up.

I work at Micro Center! (Saint Louis,Mo) Lol. I also own the GT5300, I am blown away by the speed and features of it, however the reliability of the firmwares are obviously an issue for many. The Asus rep said they are focusing on aimesh technology and the triband routers are causing some issues, so I assume that is what is pushing back the GT5300's updates. I still recommend it as they almost always (eventually) fix it all up.

Nice man!

User scenario, it's just me on 53.05Mbps download, and 5.20Mbps upload (ISP service). My modem can do about 300Mbps down, and 100Mbps up. What features have blown you away, about it?

Thanks

Nice man!

User scenario, it's just me on 53.05Mbps download, and 5.20Mbps upload. My modem can do about 300Mbps down, and 100Mbps up. What features have blown you away, about it?

Thanks

So you are paying for 300/100 and being slowed or 50/5?

I suppose a lot of the features exist in similar Asus routers, but i have been very impressed by the aidisk and dual wan features. The traffic analyzer is a great tool for seeing what's using up all the bandwidth. Game boost is the first stock QOS I've been pleased with both in features,UI, and of course performance. The main thing I've been happy with us the sheer power of this thing. I have tested most of the routers at micro center and nothing competes with the consistency of speeds and ping times of the GT5300. Others have good speeds but inconsistent pings which obviously hurt gaming. Only thing holding this back is lack of custom firmware support for now.

Another update.

First of all, the VPN Fusion functionality they advertise is absolute garbage. Almost criminal to advertise it the way they do. Extremely buggy and unreliable. What I am sharing below may or may not work for you.

In order to get the below results, you have to DISABLE Game IPS. It blocks something on VPN connections, particularly when working with L2TP. Also, after every change you make you have to go to the VPN Fusion tab and re-apply the page. Also, after every restart of the router, you have to go to the VPN Fusion tab and re-apply the page. The Exception List WILL NOT WORK unless you do this. Listed from best to worst.

PIA L2TP - Best and fastest option. Allows to default to VPN over entire network, while making exceptions for PCs to bypass VPN. Googles DNS under WAN (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4)
Nord OpenVPN - Average speed. This allowed me to default to VPN, but did not allow me to make exceptions for direct internet access. This allowed to default to direct internet, and make exceptions for VPN as well. (Nord DNS under WAN)
PIA OpenVPN - Average speed. This has not allowed me to default to VPN over entire network. I have been able to make exceptions to PCs to go through VPN instead of default open internet. Googles DNS under WAN (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4)
Nord L2TP - Worst option. Slow and I could not get it to work properly. (Nord DNS under WAN)

With VPN Fusion, take everything I am saying with a grain of salt. However, the Private Internet Access L2TP has gotten me the best VPN speed and stability by far.

So you are paying for 300/100 and being slowed or 50/5?

I suppose a lot of the features exist in similar Asus routers, but i have been very impressed by the aidisk and dual wan features. The traffic analyzer is a great tool for seeing what's using up all the bandwidth. Game boost is the first stock QOS I've been pleased with both in features,UI, and of course performance. The main thing I've been happy with us the sheer power of this thing. I have tested most of the routers at micro center and nothing competes with the consistency of speeds and ping times of the GT5300. Others have good speeds but inconsistent pings which obviously hurt gaming. Only thing holding this back is lack of custom firmware support for now.

Thanks for the reply,

No, my IPS service I'm paying for is 50/5. My cable modem is capable of 300 down / 100 up. My router is the RT N66U but I'm not sure what it can handle.

Cool, man. Anything else you could tell me before I head on up? Do you guys price match with New Egg? Is that allowed to be asked here? if not just edit this out

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea when the next official firmware may be released as I see others are using the beta...thanks

Has anyone realised that the IGMP Snooping option is missing in the IPTV settings?

The IGMP Proxy option is there, but not Snooping.

Interestingly, the option IS there, but its been hidden in the CSS. Disabling that CSS let me see the option, but when I tried to set that to Enabled, it didn't stick, and when the page reloaded, setting was back to disabled again, even after un-hiding the option to check -_-.

It's annoying as I believe that is what is stopping me from watching IPTV via BT Infinity in the UK. I've done every possible guide to make it work (including setting up my DrayTek Vigor 130 correctly), but its still not working :(

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply,

No, my IPS service I'm paying for is 50/5. My cable modem is capable of 300 down / 100 up. My router is the RT N66U but I'm not sure what it can handle.

Cool, man. Anything else you could tell me before I head on up? Do you guys price match with New Egg? Is that allowed to be asked here? if not just edit this out

Sorry for the late reply, micro center price matches any "reputable" seller. So, newegg, best buy, amazon, and many others work fine!

Sorry for the late reply, micro center price matches any "reputable" seller. So, newegg, best buy, amazon, and many others work fine!

Hey, no problem, and thanks for the reply! I actually went a little while ago. Got the USB 32Gb 'old inventory' usb drive. I'm sure USB 2.0 will do just fine! :)

I actually held off on the router. If I were to buy it locally the deal is paying the SAME price as is on line: not including state tax. I knew it was a long shot but making the 20 minute trip and getting a free USB drive out of it only to find out what I expected was worth it. I could of called but face time is always nice ;)

Thanks for the reply,

If any one is interested, have manged to install entware on gt-ac5300

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T677A using Tapatalk

So after a couple of days running, the most recent beta seems very buggy with VPN Fusion. The service got better on NordVPN OpenVPN running of the UDP servers, but some websites like amazon still don't always work and the connection will randomly drop or slow down. Rolled back to 19484 and haven't had those problems. Also, on the most recent beta After a day i did start getting the port 1 bug and it event extended to the 2nd 5GHz band when my Xbox was on instant on mode. Not a huge deal since I just changed it back to energy saving but still annoying. Hoping that with the next official everything will be fixed. Another small caveat I have noticed is that running a hard drive as a "NAS" is so so on this router. When I add multiple torrents to bit torrent to save on it it will freeze and reset. After it resets it works flawlessly..

I can add to the list. Traditional QOS loses all rules updates and refreshes back to default on reboot. Game network (wtf) has no game data base in second dropdown, and i still cant rename devices past 18 or so (this has been on every release.) Yesterday I spoke to support about my RT-AC86u that i use as a media bridge for my down stairs xbox, smart tv, media bridge is completely broken on the newest aimesh official release and had to revert back to the last official 382 firmware. Anyways while on the phone about that i asked about the device rename and they said it should work up to 32 devices and would make a patch for me. They actually told me that having 27 devices is the most they have ever heard of. I find that hard to believe. Anyone have 32 devices renamed in network map? As a side note the rt-ac86u gets 400 mbps in media bridge mode.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!