What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would say one of the strong points to this router is the WiFi.. But with that said hard wired is always best for gaming. But as a gamer this router continues to give me an issue where when I'm playing a fast pace fps game the game physically slows down for some odd reason. I have a hunch what maybe causing this but will continue to see what I can come up with.. So if your a gamer I would not really recommend this router.. At least from what I'm experiencing. You may have better luck!
This can also be the gaming console. To much video to fast. Next time you game check the router, very little info flows through the internet most content is local.

This can also be the gaming console. To much video to fast. Next time you game check the router, very little info flows through the internet most content is local.
Hey Maahfu! Thanks for your reply. I'm still keeping a very open mind about this router. So I'm not giving up yet. You are correct that very little info does flow through the internet. What I should also add is this game runs at 60fps and at 4K. I'm just trying to figure out if there is something enabled that shouldn't be or something that should be enabled. The only reason I say this is because the minute I switch back to my old Netgear the game plays fine. Or it also plays fine if I bypass the router completely and go direct to the cable modem. The minute I put this Asus router back into the picture my issues start again. I find it so very strange. I am open to suggestions.. One thing though I have noticed from this Asus router is it adds an additional 13ms latency across the board compared to the Netgear. And that number seems to slowly creep up! Do you or anyone else happen to know what brand of processor is used in this router? Thanks again!

Hey Maahfu! Thanks for your reply. I'm still keeping a very open mind about this router. So I'm not giving up yet. You are correct that very little info does flow through the internet. What I should also add is this game runs at 60fps and at 4K. I'm just trying to figure out if there is something enabled that shouldn't be or something that should be enabled. The only reason I say this is because the minute I switch back to my old Netgear the game plays fine. Or it also plays fine if I bypass the router completely and go direct to the cable modem. The minute I put this Asus router back into the picture my issues start again. I find it so very strange. I am open to suggestions.. One thing though I have noticed from this Asus router is it adds an additional 13ms latency across the board compared to the Netgear. And that number seems to slowly creep up! Do you or anyone else happen to know what brand of processor is used in this router? Thanks again!

That’s very strange. I would factory reset, reset the NVRAM, and start all over. I use this router and my pc has a wireless PCE-AC88 and it dropped my ping from 50 in overwatch to 25. To me that is nuts. I don’t use this router wired to anything as I don’t have any issues out of the WiFi to my 30+ devices. Do you use your ISP dns servers or one like googles? Do you use any of the “gaming” options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting these errors constantly today.

Feb 10 19:32:06 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth4

Anyone know how to fix or what is causing this?

I dont have these issues either. I purchased the latest netgear router (it was the x10) an the asus is faster and twice the functionality. I game on the One X snd occasionally (once every couple weeks) i lag out. I dont use a vpn and all xboxes are wireless (300mbps). Usally my son and I are both on at the same time and still no issues. I do factory reset every update. With saved settings it takes 5 min to be back up.

That’s very strange. I would factory reset, reset the NVRAM, and start all over. I use this router and my pc has a wireless PCE-AC88 and it dropped my ping from 50 in overwatch to 25. To me that is nuts. I don’t use this router wired to anything as I don’t have any issues out of the WiFi to my 30+ devices. Do you use your ISP dns servers or one like googles? Do you use any of the “gaming” options?

Can I ask how one clears the NVRAM? Or does doing a factory reset accomplish this? On this particular router how do we do a factory reset? I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.. I currently am not using any of the gaming options. When I enable them the router really slows down.. Normally I use my ISP dns servers. Should I switch to google? Also does everyone here have there IPV6 enabled? I did have it on Native before but I'm not sure what Charter Spectrum uses. Seems like they don't like to tell much either.. Thanks!

I dont have these issues either. I purchased the latest netgear router (it was the x10) an the asus is faster and twice the functionality. I game on the One X snd occasionally (once every couple weeks) i lag out. I dont use a vpn and all xboxes are wireless (300mbps). Usally my son and I are both on at the same time and still no issues. I do factory reset every update. With saved settings it takes 5 min to be back up.
Thanks! I can say for sure I'm definitely not stressing this router out with too many devices. I'm thinking a factory reset is in order. Does a factory reset bring the router back to its original firmware that it came with out of the box?

Can I ask how one clears the NVRAM? Or does doing a factory reset accomplish this? On this particular router how do we do a factory reset? I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.. I currently am not using any of the gaming options. When I enable them the router really slows down.. Normally I use my ISP dns servers. Should I switch to google? Also does everyone here have there IPV6 enabled? I did have it on Native before but I'm not sure what Charter Spectrum uses. Seems like they don't like to tell much either.. Thanks!

Clear NVRAM by unplugging, while I plugged hold the wps button and plug it back in. Wait 30 seconds.

Hard reset with the reset button on the router

Locate the reset button on the backside of your unit with a sharp object, e.g. a paperclip or pencil, press and hold the reset button for 5s or until the power led starts flashing.

Thanks! I can say for sure I'm definitely not stressing this router out with too many devices. I'm thinking a factory reset is in order. Does a factory reset bring the router back to its original firmware that it came with out of the box?
No just the factory settings with the current firmware.

Clear NVRAM by unplugging, while I plugged hold the wps button and plug it back in. Wait 30 seconds.

Hard reset with the reset button on the router

Locate the reset button on the backside of your unit with a sharp object, e.g. a paperclip or pencil, press and hold the reset button for 5s or until the power led starts flashing.

Should you clear the NVRAM fist then factory reset or do a factory reset then clear NVRAM? Or does it even matter?

Last edited:
@RMerlin once told me that when you make a factory reset by holding the reset button for 5 seconds you are clearing the nvran as well

I cleared the NVRAM as instructed above and the router never rebooted, it just turned off. I had to manually turn it off and on to boot up again. Once it booted up everything was reset like a factory reset had been done. So I’m not sure if clearing NVRAM is even necessary, it appears a factory reset will do the same thing.

Is there any difference between a factory reset through the web interface and manually pressing the reset button?

Yesterday I updated with the firmware beta 384_20311 and I have disappeared all the errors among them, the errors in the log of each hour, the errors of the QoS and game boost, the excessive memory consumption to have 2 hdd connected by usb.
I just had to try if they have solved the wifi time schedule, I see that this beta solves a lot of errors.
It is a pity that this router with what it costs and being in theory the top of the range of asus, have a software so little developed and that takes almost 1 year in the market.

Can anyone confirm that the GT-AC5300 supports VLAN Tagging? Looking to replace CL modem, want to make sure this thing is capable.

Almost a week uptime.
But few hours ago 5GHz radio 2 stopped working. Nothing was reconfigured on the router, no increase in the number of devices or traffic patterns. It just decided is time to vanish itself. Soon after a flood of lldp errors complaining it can't send messages on eth8 (look like radio2 is eth8).
Waiting for Asus response to my feedback.

Almost a week uptime.
But few hours ago 5GHz radio 2 stopped working. Nothing was reconfigured on the router, no increase in the number of devices or traffic patterns. It just decided is time to vanish itself. Soon after a flood of lldp errors complaining it can't send messages on eth8 (look like radio2 is eth8).

Did a reboot fix it?

Almost a week uptime.
What were the errors? LLDP would point to link aggregation (is it configured correctly or nothing connected to those ports?) or VLAN tagging. I suppose interference on that channel could cause those errors; perhaps check a WiFi scanner for a clearer channel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!