What's new

[ROG RAPTURE GT-AX11000] Experiences & Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have the ROG GT-AX11000 router and am having some issues with it losing connection on some of the wired ports. Looking at the system log, I have the following:

Code:
Aug  6 09:56:17 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link DOWN.
Aug  6 09:56:20 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
Aug  6 09:56:26 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link DOWN.
Aug  6 09:56:29 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
Aug  6 09:56:35 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link DOWN.
Aug  6 09:56:38 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
Aug  6 09:56:44 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link DOWN.
Aug  6 09:56:46 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link UP at 100 mbps full duplex
Aug  6 09:57:17 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link DOWN.
Aug  6 09:57:20 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex

This has been happening consistently for the past few days. I did a factory reset about a week ago and it fixed the issue temporarily, but now it's happening again.

Any ideas on what could be happening here? Or maybe more information you need to diagnose such an issue?

I currently am using 4 of the 5 ethernet ports on the back. The 2.5 port is going to my Xbox One X, one port is going to a switch containing the TV, Apple TV, and temperature sensor. The third port is going to my Arlo camera system and the fourth is going to my Philips Hue Smart Light Bridge. All wired with Cat 6 cables.

Also, my wireless signal strength has been pretty dismal. I live in an old brick building and sitting outside, about 40 feet from the router, connected to the 5G-1 channel, I am getting an RSSI of -80 dBm...not sure what that's about.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

If you are in EU there is much less power on 5G (ch. 36-144), pretty usual to have no 5G outside brick buildings (-80dBm is about the limit to have any connection at all).
Unplug one LAN connection at the time and watch logs, then you may see which one brings the problem.

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have the ROG GT-AX11000 router and am having some issues with it losing connection on some of the wired ports. Looking at the system log, I have the following:

Code:
Aug  6 09:56:17 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link DOWN.
Aug  6 09:56:20 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
Aug  6 09:56:26 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link DOWN.
Aug  6 09:56:29 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
Aug  6 09:56:35 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link DOWN.
Aug  6 09:56:38 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
Aug  6 09:56:44 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link DOWN.
Aug  6 09:56:46 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link UP at 100 mbps full duplex
Aug  6 09:57:17 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link DOWN.
Aug  6 09:57:20 kernel: eth5 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1e) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex

This has been happening consistently for the past few days. I did a factory reset about a week ago and it fixed the issue temporarily, but now it's happening again.

Any ideas on what could be happening here? Or maybe more information you need to diagnose such an issue?

I currently am using 4 of the 5 ethernet ports on the back. The 2.5 port is going to my Xbox One X, one port is going to a switch containing the TV, Apple TV, and temperature sensor. The third port is going to my Arlo camera system and the fourth is going to my Philips Hue Smart Light Bridge. All wired with Cat 6 cables.

Also, my wireless signal strength has been pretty dismal. I live in an old brick building and sitting outside, about 40 feet from the router, connected to the 5G-1 channel, I am getting an RSSI of -80 dBm...not sure what that's about.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.
like Grisu mentioned, you might want to test each device individually to the router to see if any of them are causing the connection issues... if it is none of them it is most likely a faulty switch and it would at that point be a good recommendation to replace it. As far as your 5g signal goes,, good luck there-- it does a great job in open areas, but it has a hard time with interference with some types of surfaces, the only real thing you can do is tinker with the wireless settings to see what gets you the optimal outcome you are looking for.

Hello all,
I've had the ax11000 since Feb, like everyone here still waiting for Asus to provide us with the true capability for this behemoth (My pc is smaller!!)

I've seen Merlin about, hi BTW. I'm aware that, unfortunately, no one has yet come forward with a way to clone you, to aid us with your widely renowned firmware ;)

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried any other firmware out there, as there seems to be options.. However probably like others, I'm not necessarily wanting to go first on this :)

I believe it's a Broadcom BCM4908 with 3xBCM43684 wifi chips?
Given the vpn fusion issues, I believe in relation to pbr, has anyone attempted differing firmware with any success?

Last edited:
Just got my AX11000 on Saturday. Went online yesterday. I'm liking it so far. Both WiFi and LAN seems stable on latest FW. I like the UI and the mobile app. Router and app seem to find correct names for most of not all of my devices. :) Something that other router Mfrs don't seem to do well. :oops:
Haven't gamed yet with it. Probably this evening. Have to xbox consoles.

Looking forward to learning more about this. :cool:

New User here. Was wondering if any Google Fiber owners or UK/AUS folk run into an issue with the new firmware? I ask this, because we must VLAN tag WAN traffic (via IPTV settings) in order for our ISPs to provision our hardware and give us our full Gig speeds...

I've noticed with my router, the new firmware has introduced a ton of buffer bloat and unstable speeds (esp for my upload, which took a major hit). I've gone back to 3.0.0.4.384.5979 for now, and ASUS Support is currently looking into it (they want me back on the 6208 firmware, and then from the Router's UI do the "send feedback" thing...sigh).

Just hoping I'm not alone (misery loves company :p)

I presume it would be beneficial to load up the the version of FW that your having problems with. Once Asus get the data they need from your experiences on the effected FW, they can review it and hopefully get it fixed. You could revert back to working FW after they have collected what they need. I presume they should be able to figure out what the differences is between the last working FW and this latest one.

I presume it would be beneficial to load up the the version of FW that your having problems with. Once Asus get the data they need from your experiences on the effected FW, they can review it and hopefully get it fixed. You could revert back to working FW after they have collected what they need. I presume they should be able to figure out what the differences is between the last working FW and this latest one.
A lot of presumptions there, bud! :p

I've already loaded the bad firmware and sent them tons of logs (first they asked me to upload them to Google Drive, then came back and said they aren't allowed to view files from Google Drive, so I emailed them). Doing the "send feedback" thing just seems weird, to me. Then again, what do I know? I can't claim I know the difference between the logs I've sent and that "send feedback" function.

The Feedback form will send more info than just the system log, it also sends some router state information, as well as a (sanitized, with personal info removed from it) copy of your configuration.

The Feedback form will send more info than just the system log, it also sends some router state information, as well as a (sanitized, with personal info removed from it) copy of your configuration.

I went through what the router was emailing to ASUS and I can see the plethora of logs and config files, as well as the system debug logs. I hope to hear from them soon.

I was hoping to find other people suffering the same issue here and how long they were working with ASUS on this issue. I have a hunch it has something to do with VLAN tagging the WAN data, so this weekend I plan on throwing the Google Fiber box back into the mix and running double NAT to turn off the VLAN tagging on the 11000 to see my speeds return and then report that back to ASUS, as well.

Hopefully the ASUS people can review your logs you've provided and find a fix or solution that works for you. Possible that others may not be seeing this or not using the feature so they won't. Best to keep in touch with ASUS about this and help them find the resolution for you.

Just turned my AC5300/AC68u as a Aimesh wireless node for my 2 day old AX11000 router. The problem Is the node won't show up on my main router page no matter how many times I try to click on search Aimesh node It just won't show up. I checked that It's working I'm getting only 60mbps wifi speed however It just keeps dropping the connection mostly noticeable when watching livestreams.

I just can't access or configure the nodes and their ip's won't show up on my main AX11000 router.
Anyone experiencing the same issue?

Just turned my AC5300/AC68u as a Aimesh wireless node for my 2 day old AX11000 router. The problem Is the node won't show up on my main router page no matter how many times I try to click on search Aimesh node It just won't show up. I checked that It's working I'm getting only 60mbps wifi speed however It just keeps dropping the connection mostly noticeable when watching livestreams.

I just can't access or configure the nodes and their ip's won't show up on my main AX11000 router.
Anyone experiencing the same issue?
Which method are you using to add the nodes, wirelessly or wired? I recommend setting up the nodes using the wired method, and then going wireless. In this thread, nyvram and a few others had the same or similar issues, including myself. Adding the nodes via ethernet cable worked for me.

Before adding any nodes, you may want to consider resetting your AX11000 to factory default, and starting fresh.
  • Do not login into the AiMesh node router at all, or try to configure it. The AiMesh router will do all of the work.
  • Factory reset the AiMesh node, power it on, and run an ethernet cable from the LAN port of the AiMesh router to the WAN port of AiMesh node.
  • From the AiMesh router, navigate to Network Map/AiMesh Node, and click Search. It should find the node that you just factory reset without issue, and sync flawlessly.
  • Once syncing has completed, power off the AiMesh node, move it to wherever you like, and power it on.
  • The AiMesh node will then sync with the AiMesh router, regardless if you remain wired, or go wireless.

I just ordered mine off of Amazon a few minutes ago. I wanted to know what cat cable comes with the ROG, should I buy a cat 7?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

I just ordered mine off of Amazon a few minutes ago. I wanted to know what cat cable comes with the ROG, should I buy a cat 7?

It comes with a CAT 5E Ethernet cable, which should work pretty well in most scenarios, I suppose. Personally, I haven't used anything lower than CAT 6 for the better part of a decade. Just peace of mind in knowing that I have higher speed/quality cables.

I purchased a 2-pack of CAT 8 cables on Amazon the same day I purchased the AX11000. They were surprisingly cheap, and I could not be any happier. The quality is top notch, and they work amazingly well. I can't find this particular item in a 2-pack anymore, and the link from my order history is redirecting to a different brand. However, a direct search returns plenty of other true CAT 8 cables rated @ 40Gbps/2000Mhz.
mAmf7hg.png

if you like to have such thick cables and a lot of money ..
But you will never see any difference to CAT5e, 6 or 7 as long they are well done and not damaged.

if you like to have such thick cables and a lot of money ..
But you will never see any difference to CAT5e, 6 or 7 as long they are well done and not damaged.
While I agree that wiring and condition of the cables are of utmost importance, the evolution of industry standards will always trump the most well kept network infrastructures. Change is inevitable. For instance, those who are looking to utilize a network infrastructure with speeds faster than 2.5 Gbps will have no choice but to upgrade from CAT5e, and for good reason as it's quickly becoming obsolete (just as CAt5 did). Running 5Gbps over 100 meters, or 10Gbps over 55 meters definitely requires Cat 6. Once your 10GBASE-T infrastructure surpasses 55 meters, only CAT6a and higher Ethernet cables will suffice.

Also, yes, the cabling is a bit thicker, but is also surprisingly manageable. Cost wise, sure, running hundreds of feet of CAT6/6a/7/8 cable can be costly, but the same can be said for CAT5e. If a consumer is buying, spend a few more dollars and get cabling which is more future proof.

While I don't pretend to know anyone's financial situation, the prices of 50ft to 100ft of CAT6/7/8 would hardly require a lot of money, or break the bank. Just my opinion, though.

Last edited:
I actually ended up ordering a few cat 8 Ethernet cable as my infrastructure will have a dedicated Asustor Nas, and three cluster servers. I'm looking at the view point of if I'm going to build it, I might as well build it right the first time instead of always retrofitting every two seconds.

right now I wont change any 5e cabling, better to wait for fibre at home instead with 10+Gb/s and using much less power than 10Gb wired ports.

Hopefully the ASUS people can review your logs you've provided and find a fix or solution that works for you. Possible that others may not be seeing this or not using the feature so they won't. Best to keep in touch with ASUS about this and help them find the resolution for you.

3 Hard Factory Resets and weeks later and there's still no root cause. CEO Office stepped in to see what they can do...but...I'm starting to think I'm the only one with this use case/issue. Might have to jump off of the GT-AX11000 train...

It's been a fun ride...I'll spare your time and only update if ASUS comes up with a fix/solution for my issue. Since nobody else on the forum is experiencing it, I'll lay low!

If anybody owns the GT-AX11000 and after updating to the latest firmware have experienced buffer bloat and a complete slowness and found a fix - PLEASE PM me. :)

Be safe, and play nice kids! :p

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!