What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 finally announced

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Has anyone tried running the GT AX6000 as main outer for Aimesh using wireless backhaul? I am thinking to pair it with my AX88u for Aimesh but was wondering if they are adequate being dual band.

My current setup is AX88u as main router and 3x Linksys Velop ac2200 in brigde mode.

Has anyone tried running the GT AX6000 as main outer for Aimesh using wireless backhaul? I am thinking to pair it with my AX88u for Aimesh but was wondering if they are adequate being dual band.

My current setup is AX88u as main router and 3x Linksys Velop ac2200 in brigde mode.

It would be best if you could use wired backhaul between two nodes that have only two radios. If your clients are sharing your 5GHz. bandwidth with backhaul, the performance won't be great. Unloading the backhaul from the 5GHz. radios would be helpful. You could also use MoCA for wired backhaul, assuming that you have cable TV coax in your walls, that would be a great improvement.

I did try using the RT-AX86U (node) via AiMesh with the GT-AX6000 (router) with wireless backhaul, and the only way that I got performance that was acceptable to me was to bind most of my clients to the GT-AX6000. That unloaded the wireless backhaul from 5GHz. enough to give decent speed at the RT-AX86U and also at the GT-AX6000.

At the moment, I'm using the RT-AX3000 as a 2.4GHz. repeater for exterior security cameras in my garage, get plenty of speed there for the cameras. And an RT-AX86U as a media bridge upstairs, which provides really fast ethernet ports for the Tablo, etc. at our upstairs TV. The GT-AX6000 is my "main" router, no AiMesh. Very happy with my current configuration.

Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_22068
- Release Note -

Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
1. Improved system stability.
2. Fixed the IPsec VPN compatibility issue with Win10.
3. Fixed the VPN fusion user interface issues under the HTTPS connection.
4. Fixed Client DOM Stored XSS vulnerability.
5. Improved Wireguard performance.
6. Fixed the WAN setting GUI bugs.

Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_22068
- Release Note -

Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
1. Improved system stability.
2. Fixed the IPsec VPN compatibility issue with Win10.
3. Fixed the VPN fusion user interface issues under the HTTPS connection.
4. Fixed Client DOM Stored XSS vulnerability.
5. Improved Wireguard performance.
6. Fixed the WAN setting GUI bugs.

Anyone did the upgrade yet? All good?

I just wanted to add this because I couldn't find other threads about DOA 6000s.

I bought and installed the 6000 this past weekend with merlin, and everything was fine until I arrived home today and it was dead. Not powering on and tried multiple outlets. It was on a surge protector with the modem and the modem is still running fine. I hooked up my AC86U and my internet seems fine. I'm exchanging it tomorrow for a replacement.

After trialing an AX86U and the GT-AX6000, I've decided to keep the GT. Though may switch to AX86U Pro when it comes out just because of aesthetics lol.

Running Merlin 388.1 with Diversion Standard (Large List) and Unbound, it has been a great experience so far!

And while I don't need it anymore, I think CAKE SQM was able to hit like 650-700mbps iirc. Pretty awesome device.

I just wanted to add this because I couldn't find other threads about DOA 6000s.

I bought and installed the 6000 this past weekend with merlin, and everything was fine until I arrived home today and it was dead. Not powering on and tried multiple outlets. It was on a surge protector with the modem and the modem is still running fine. I hooked up my AC86U and my internet seems fine. I'm exchanging it tomorrow for a replacement.

did you have auto update set?
I’m not joking - an update killed my (and many other) AX86U’s this spring and the AX6000 had an update yesterday.
Just putting it out there.
Call mr paranoid, but after my AX86U episode I’m really weary about any updates…

Anyone did the upgrade yet? All good?
Did the upgrade, on both my AX6000 and my wired backhaul node AX86U. After multiple reboots, the backhaul node was losing connection randomly and the AiMesh was completely unreliable. Re-flushed on both 388 21617 and problem solved. I operate both now with the 388 21617 version of firmware and I have zero AiMesh issues. Today I chatted with ASUS support in order to bring attention to the issue and apparently the problem is with the AX6000 version of 388 22068 firmware. They already have a new BETA (9.0.0.6.102.3506) version of the firmware out, because I think a lot of AX6000 customers complained about the AiMesh issue. I haven't upgraded to the BETA version, I'm waiting for the final release, before I do.

@AndyD

Re-flushed on both 388 21617 and problem solved

Reported with other models as well:

did you have auto update set?
I’m not joking - an update killed my (and many other) AX86U’s this spring and the AX6000 had an update yesterday.
Just putting it out there.
Call mr paranoid, but after my AX86U episode I’m really weary about any updates…
sorry for the late reply, that 6000 was on the latest Merlin stable at the time.

It has dropped to $330 as recently as July. I use The Camelizer to track pricing though I'm sure there are other price-tracking methods as well. Yes, $330 is still a stack of money, but $40 is $40. :)

Just scored a used one on Amazon for $208. Will be interesting to see how it looks. I have a suspicion that it was originally sold by a vendor and will not be a US market model. Either that or it will be malfunctioning.

Just scored a used one on Amazon for $208. Will be interesting to see how it looks. I have a suspicion that it was originally sold by a vendor and will not be a US market model. Either that or it will be malfunctioning.
probably a defective unit. It simply can't be sold for that low of a price.

3rd party seller.

"good condition" is currently 244. Maybe its one of my returns, granted I only had both of mine for 2-3 days :D
Amazon deal ended.
You're going to need to jump fast for these low posted prices.
PS
My 6000 on RMerlin's alpha working without issues!

Last edited:
Amazon deal ended.
You going to need to jump fast for these low posted prices.
PS
My 6000 on RMerlin's alpha working without issues!

I saw $279 as lowest. Don't think it ever went $265 shipped and sold by Amazon, outside of the 3rd party seller. I know because I was watching it for the past week and have alerts set :)

Edit:

Last edited by a moderator:
My Amazon used unit just arrived. It was a return from Watertown, WI on Dec 5. Manual is missing, but everything else looks complete. Anyone wanna claim prior ownership?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!