What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 finally announced

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin FW installed and I have had zero performance issues with our AX6000.
I have no experience with ROG, until this AX6000, and RMerlin fw got rid of the gaudy ROG gui & the ability to turn off the rgb lights is a plus!
Cost/Price/etc is economics and have many variables, which were disrupted by the Global Pandemic, Always Present Greed & Profiteering, etc. I'm able to rationalize the upgrade cost, because we skipped the earlier AX releases, and jumped from AC86 to AX6000, and I hid the cost from The Wife.

The RT-AXE11000 has also been reduced in price most places. It's typical as routers age and as ASUS makes market adjustments.

Last edited:
New "special edition version...
No, this is sadly not a joke and at least locally, it has a price premium of about US$67 over the "plain" version.
h732
I think I like the black better....!:)

RMerlin FW installed and I have had zero performance issues with our AX6000.
I have no experience with ROG, until this AX6000, and RMerlin fw got rid of the gaudy ROG gui & the ability to turn off the rgb lights is a plus!
Cost/Price/etc is economics and have many variables, which were disrupted by the Global Pandemic, Always Present Greed & Profiteering, etc. I'm able to rationalize the upgrade cost, because we skipped the earlier AX releases, and jumped from AC86 to AX6000, and I hid the cost from The Wife.

I'm still using an AC86U main/AP combo, and feel like its still working great, but I'm curious to know what differences in performance you've detected using the AX6000 as the main router. Range? Higher wifi speeds? Reduced network latency? Do you feel like an AP is still needed? Or is there increased overlap in the coverage of the AX6000 and your AC86U AP to the point that it causes issues?

Comparing my move from AC86 to AX6000:
-Range/Signal is better/stronger in my environment. Predominately Apple handhelds/AppleTVs and Windows laptops/desktops devices.
-Latency was a 14ms ping, and now 9ms, which was a surprise.
-I removed the AC86 and I am running the AC88 as an AP/switch for my automated devices (Thermostat, Garage Opener, Sprinklers).
In our environment, the AX6000 provides a strong enough signal throughout our palatial single story 2500sqft tract home. The 6000 seems to breeze through the network torture my Family and their "friends" can produce with game play, streaming, and social media.
Anyone with an AC router should find the AX6000 with RMerlin a significant upgrade:cool:

Last edited:
I'm still using an AC86U main/AP combo, and feel like its still working great, but I'm curious to know what differences in performance you've detected using the AX6000 as the main router. Range? Higher wifi speeds? Reduced network latency? Do you feel like an AP is still needed? Or is there increased overlap in the coverage of the AX6000 and your AC86U AP to the point that it causes issues?

I swapped in an AX86U into my 2xAC86U AiMesh... the principle affect was that the increased processing power of the AX86U made things a bit snappier here and there, but did not particularly affect WiFi range.

OE

Comparing my move from AC86 to AX6000:
-Range/Signal is better/stronger in my environment. Predominately Apple handhelds/AppleTVs and Windows laptops/desktops devices.
-Latency was a 14ms ping, and now 9ms, which was a surprise.
-I removed the AC86 and I am running the AC88 as an AP/switch for my automated devices (Thermostat, Garage Opener, Sprinklers).
In our environment, the AX6000 provides a strong enough signal throughout our palatial single story 2500sqft slapped together tract home. The 6000 seems to breeze through the network torture my Family and their "friends" can produce with game play, streaming, and social media.
Anyone with an AC router should find the AX6000 with RMerlin a significant upgrade:cool:
I swapped in an AX86U into my 2xAC86U AiMesh... the principle affect was that the increased processing power of the AX86U made things a bit snappier here and there, but did not particularly affect WiFi range.

OE

Thanks. AX86U is on my list too. I'm a little more interested in the AX6000 because of its newer Linux kernel. I'm somewhat concerned that if I go with the AX6000 or AX86U, range improvements would produce more overlap with my AP and cause network performance issues on the bedroom side of the house where the AP is located. I guess I could turn down the router Tx power level.

Thanks. AX86U is on my list too. I'm a little more interested in the AX6000 because of its newer Linux kernel. I'm somewhat concerned that if I go with the AX6000 or AX86U, range improvements would produce more overlap with my AP and cause network performance issues on the bedroom side of the house where the AP is located. I guess I could turn down the router Tx power level.

A reasonable concern, especially if your nodes are already on the near end of the distance/obstacle-to-WiFi spectrum... i.e. close together. It may help that the AC86U is no slouch when it comes to WiFi range, a new AX AP may not range much differently than what you have... just handles everything else like connection setup better.

If necessary, I would adjust node location first before decreasing router Tx power... a last resort. :)

OE

EDIT: I'm fortunate enough to live where the xfinity installers always put their wifi routers on channel 6, so they all fight over signal, I put my wifi on the opposite ends.
I have my 6000 located in the center of my home in a media closet. My AP is parallel to the 6000 against an exterior wall of house. Channels are adjusted, so they do not overlap, and have different SSIDs. I get wifi signal outside of my house from the 6000, so I will not need to place an AP outside in the cabana for pool side summer fun (Kids with electronics :rolleyes:).
I never adjust the Tx power, and leave on default Full Performance.
I like to think of a miniature Engineer Scott yelling " I Canna Defy The Laws Of Physics! She's Given All She's Got!"

Last edited:
For the GT-AX6000 (running @RMerlin GT-AX6000_386.6), does anyone get the full 2.5Gbps on the LAN port?

My tests are as follows:

(1) Speedtest computer connected directly into ISP modem: 2,317 Mbps down / 2,419 Mbps up - perfect

(2) Speedtest computer connected to GT-AX6000 port LAN 5 (the 2.5G LAN port): 1,332 Mbps down / 1,327 Mbps up

(3) Speedtest from within GT-AX6000 -> Adaptive QoS - > Internet Speed: 2,353 Mbps down / 966 Mbps up

Computer connects correctly with 2500Base-T full-duplex.

Confused ... thanks for any pointers!

Anyone have issues with the 2.5g LAN port being connected to a 1g switch?

We finished our basement, so I demoted my main router (RT-AX88U) to an AIMESH Node, and installed a ROG GT-AX6600 as the main router. I connected the in house LAN cable to my 16port 1GB switch (TRENDnet TEG-S16D) to the GT-AX6000's 2.5GB LAN port (since I'll eventually be replacing the Trendnet with a 2.5GB switch). Initially my PC's gave me "Unidentified Network" messages in Windows and couldn't connect to the internet or other PC's. Going to the GT-AX6000 and Unplug/Replug the cable in the 2.5GB LAN port fixes it.

It was running fine for a few days. We just had a power outage over night. While the GT-AX6600 is plugged into a UPS and stayed on, the TRENDnet switch is not so lost power. When I turned on the PC's this morning, they all said "Unidentified Network" and I had to unplug/plug the cable in the GT-AX6000's 2.5GB lan port at the router to fix it. Within a few seconds the PCs were again properly connecting.

Do I have an issue with the 2.5gb LAN port? Or is there a setting in the router I'm missing?

router's firmware is 3.0.0.4.386_49556-g9988328

Perhaps put the switch on a UPS and don't look back. Could also test with a different cable to the switch.

OE

Anyone have issues with the 2.5g LAN port being connected to a 1g switch?
No issue here, mine was connected that way for multiple weeks.

Perhaps put the switch on a UPS and don't look back. Could also test with a different cable to the switch.

OE
I tried different cables.

I'm wondering if it's an incompatibility with my 1g switch. I did have issues with a several years old 8 port unmanaged Cisco 1g switch and the 2.5gb port on my PC's motherboard. (Often times a reboot of the PC or powering it off/on, the PC's NIC connected at 100meg, not 1gig. That made me change that to the TRENDNet which fixed it. )

Just got my new GT-AX6000.

Iperf3 reports a wireless speed of 400 Mbps (a Gigabit LAN to Wi-Fi, 5 GHz band, an Intel AX210 adapter). Isn’t this result too low? I’m an absolute newbie in this area.

Just got my new GT-AX6000.

Iperf3 reports a wireless speed of 400 Mbps (a Gigabit LAN to Wi-Fi, 5 GHz band, an Intel AX210 adapter). Isn’t this result too low? I’m an absolute newbie in this area.

Try testing with this option added to the iperf client command line.
Code:
-w 4M
I get much better results when using it.

I had two GT-AX6000. Unfortunately, both produced noticeable coil whine, which is important in my case. Otherwise thumbs up.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!