What's new

Router as AP, or just get an AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ailurophile

New Around Here
I am looking to update my home network due to the imminent arrival of two new Tivo Premier Boxes in my home. I’d like to ensure that both TiVos have the fastest network speeds I can provide and I figure that a wired connection would be better than the USB 802.11g adapters my cable provide requires I purchase if I don’t have a wired connection to the router. The issue is that both TiVos will be in rooms other than where my router and cable modem sit – one will be in my bedroom, which is one room over from the router and the other will be in the living room, which is directly above my bedroom. I figure I can I run some Cat6e cable to both locations with little trouble (basically following the path of my co-ax cable). However, since I’ll be wiring up the TiVo in the living room, why not wire up the PS3 that’s there instead of relying on its internal wireless adapter to connect up with media server on my NAS. So a switch would be in order. But then after doing some reading, I’d like to have two separate networks, one .11g, and one .11n - especially because my Droid doesn’t like mixed networks. So then I thought – a wireless access point, like the D-LINK DAP-1522 could act as a switch and provide me with the .11n network. Then I could run my current router, the DIR-655 as .11g only. But then I thought, I could convert a dual-band router, such as the D-Link DI-825 or the Netgear into an AP but would have myself a router for possible future needs.

To summarize, I would characterize my situation as having to technology “complexes”

Complex 1: Downstairs, near the router will have:
1. Desktop Computer (wired connection)
2. Networked Laser Printer (wired connection)
3. Synology DS210j Nas (wired connection)
4. Downstairs TiVo (wired connection)

This is all connected to a D-Link DIR-655 router running 802.11g only

Then via wire, this would connect to an AP (either the D-LINK DAP-1522 or DIR-825 etc.) which would serve:

Complex 2:
1. Sony PS3 (wired connection)
2. Upstairs TiVo (wired connection)
3. Pioneer Receiver (wired connection)
4. Future possible gaming system.

I suspect will need a switch or two to handle all the wired connections, but that’s not a big deal.

Does this make sense? Do my choices in hardware make sense? Should I go with the router as an AP, or just buy a devoted AP.

Thanks!

Ethernet connections are best for HD video streaming.

You can use either a router converted to AP or an AP. Fewer choices in APs and they tend to be more expensive than routers.

You're going to need at least one switch, since by my count, you'll be out of ports on the downstairs DIR-655 if you need to run a cable to the upstairs "complex".

So, I think I'm on the right track - and I agree I will need one switch for downstairs.

I guess my remaining question is which router/AP? Do the D-Link ones I mentioned make sense?

You're not relying on wireless for much. You really can use anything.