What's new

Router firewall

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unclebuk

Hello,

Question: the firewall is enabled on my AC86U by default...But, do I need this enabled if if have no filter rules?
"Enable the firewall to protect your local area network against attacks from hackers. The firewall filters the incoming and outgoing packets based on the filter rules"

Strangely enough, I cannot find much direction on this setting from online searches.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,\buk

Hello,

Question: the firewall is enabled on my AC86U by default...But, do I need this enabled if if have no filter rules?
"Enable the firewall to protect your local area network against attacks from hackers. The firewall filters the incoming and outgoing packets based on the filter rules"

Strangely enough, I cannot find much direction on this setting from online searches.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,\buk

Yes, you want to leave this enabled.

Unless you are putting your RT-AC86U behind your own firewall, (or possibly in a double Nat setup) then the firewall is an essential part of having a router to do exactly as it says. Even with no extra filter rules enabled or applied.

Hello,

Thanks in advance.
Regards,\buk

The firewall has its own rules integrated, they're not only user-defined. Running the firewall is pretty much mandatory, except for some very highly specialized scenarios.

It should *almost* not even be an option to disable it :)

It should *almost* not even be an option to disable it :)

I have yet to run into any scenario where you would want to disable it. The few cases where I use a second router within a LAN to isolate a part of the network, I still need that firewall to actually isolate that network. And larger organizations in need of a plain router between two segments don't buy a typical home gateway but an actual real router.

The small Cisco routers have a gateway and router mode so you don't have to run the firewall.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!