What's new

Router firmware version now showing as updated and multiple IP addresses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TanyaC

Regular Contributor
I upgraded from 382_1_2 to the latest 384_7_2 for my ASUS RT-AC88u. (After discovering my router's core 1 has been stuck at 100% for god knows how long...

After the upgrade and manual reboot it's still showing as the old firmware version.

I am also seeing a different WAN IP address than what I get from say myip.com or speedtest.net when I am connected via VPN. I don't recall the addresses being different, but maybe I'm wrong?

Both of the above named sites show me the address that the VPN provider states is the address for the server I'm connecting to, but the router disagrees.

Any ideas?

I upgraded from 382_1_2 to the latest 384_7_2 for my ASUS RT-AC88u. (After discovering my router's core 1 has been stuck at 100% for god knows how long...

After the upgrade and manual reboot it's still showing as the old firmware version.
Try clearing your browser cache. If that doesn't help then do a factory reset and manual reconfigure on the router.

I am also seeing a different WAN IP address than what I get from say myip.com or speedtest.net when I am connected via VPN. I don't recall the addresses being different, but maybe I'm wrong?

Both of the above named sites show me the address that the VPN provider states is the address for the server I'm connecting to, but the router disagrees.
That's how it's meant to be.

Try clearing your browser cache. If that doesn't help then do a factory reset and manual reconfigure on the router.

That's how it's meant to be.

OMG. :oops: I know... I had a blonde moment :). I looked at the address and thought something here is not right.... I found out what it was... For some reason I was connecting to an ISP location 3000+ miles away, not my usual ISP located 20 miles away... And it just didn't look right. I typically get a 114.x.x.x IP address, not a 58.x.x.x. Sorry about that.

On the other matter, my browser cache is cleared at every boot (Part of my login script). The PC has been rebooted several times over the last 24 hours. it's the same on every PC.

Damn it! I was hoping to avoid a factory reset because it takes 45+ minutes to re-enter the configuration (I'm assuming a settings backup/restore is not recommended? - that might simply backup and restore the problem)

45 minutes... Wow! I grossly underestimated.
It actually took me 3 hours to re-flash and reconfigure the router.
But the good news is that the router is now showing the correct firmware revision.

Thank you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!