What's new

Router Losing(?) 25-30% Bandwidth

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OriginalCactus

New Around Here
Hi all,

Running RT-AC86U with Merliln 386.2_6. It is connected to a FiOS ONT over a gigabit ethernet port for a 500/500 connection. When I run spdMerlin or the included Ookla speedtest from the router (in Adpt QoS -> Internet Speed), I consistently end up with a max 350 mbps download and only a little faster on the upload. When I take the WAN ethernet cable out of the router and connect my computer directly to the ONT (bypass the router), I see 500+ mbps down. What should I check on my router to figure out what's shaving nearly 30% off my bandwidth throughput? Or how should I have it set up? I've already turned off Adaptive QoS, shut down VPN servers, turned off AI Protection, and tried a few other things suggested on the boards. I'm just at a loss.
Screenshots of relevant info below.

Thanks!

1626453825967.png

1626453944262.png

1626454065504.png

1626454123732.png

Running RT-AC86U with Merliln 386.2_6. It is connected to a FiOS ONT over a gigabit ethernet port for a 500/500 connection. When I run spdMerlin or the included Ookla speedtest from the router (in Adpt QoS -> Internet Speed), I consistently end up with a max 350 mbps download and only a little faster on the upload.
This is a known limitation of the speed test on that model. Ignore it and just use speed tests on your PC. Your router is working fine.

Just checked and can confirm, plugged directly into the router the speeds on the computer are fine. I did not know that the router-based speed tests were always that much slower. Here is what my 500/500 looks like from the wired connection to the computer. Thanks.
1626469982685.png

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!