What's new

Router temperatures

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maybe a single fan is sufficient?
That depends on the model #, rather the construction of the back cover. The AC86U could benefit from two smaller fans, could be done easily, while the AX86U not so much. At least that had been my experience:

The label for the AX86U is diagonal/slanted right over the CPU. As such adding a second fan results in one Celsius lower CPU temperature, when compared to a single fan over WiFi chips. Since I've got two fans, it's an option to cut a hole over the CPU for the second fan, but that would be going overboard.

Depending on the ambient temperature and humidity, the CPU temperature varies between mid-40s to mid-50s Celsius degree with a single fan over the Wi-Fi chips. That's around 30C degree lower than without the fan. more than good enough for me...

My AC68U rev. E1 with 70mm fan have maximum 50C on CPU

Attachments

• FAN.jpeg
    FAN.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 256
This whole thread is not necessary

Then why don't resist the urge to reply? There are multiple topics regarding heat issues with certain models and 22 pages alone in this thread that prove otherwise. That fact that you don't experience problems, doesn't mean that there are none. And I'm not talking about people who starting complaining over a 3 degrees C increase, but many of the units (specifically the RT-AC86U have serious issues). I've seen it happen with my own, with the 384 branch, when CPU throttling kicked in. I need active cooling to keep it at save levels because I don't want a router running at nearly a 100 degrees Celcius 24/7.

IMHO, the only thing unnecessary was your comment. If the topic doesn't have your interest, do us all a favor and just move on.

RT-AC66U B1(merlin 386.3_2)temperature values.

With 2 small fans at both ends. One blows and the other pulls. The room temperature is 27 degrees

Attachments

• IMG_20210822_134313.jpg
    IMG_20210822_134313.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
That depends on the model #, rather the construction of the back cover. The AC86U could benefit from two smaller fans, could be done easily, while the AX86U not so much
It looks to me that, unlike the AC86U, the AX86U has vents along the bottom front to cool the backside of the board. So unlike the AC86U, the AX might benefit from a second fan in the front. I have a dual infinity for my AC in the vicinity of the back, but if I had an AX I might try one of them in the vicinity of the front.

AX86U doesn't have overheating issues record so far. I would run it with no fans, if the air circulation is good enough and CPU temp stays below 80C.

Just to share that periodic clean up can make a big difference. I did first time clean up after put a 120mm fan directly blowing in to the AC86U for the past 7 months. Not a thorough clean up, just use a blower to blast the dust off. Surprisingly the CPU temp has dropped about 8C.

Just to share that periodic clean up can make a big difference. I did first time clean up after put a 120mm fan directly blowing in to the AC86U for the past 7 months. Not a thorough clean up, just use a blower to blast the dust off. Surprisingly the CPU temp has dropped about 8C.
it needs periodic re-stating: if you're going to increase airflow through your router without some sort of filter, you also need to increase your cleaning/maintenance of the physical unit...
more air means more dust, and if you don't clean that the dust off things, the fan will simply be blowing more dust to pile up on the old stuff rather than cooling things down.
(this is one of the main arguments for leaving things passively cooled)

RT-AC1900P also runs hot with its updated 1400MHz CPU - 88C in a 24C ambient temperature room. This router was manufactured in 2017, perhaps the thermal transfer pads dried out. Time period matches with RT-AC86U routers heat issues - 2-3 years after manufacturing. I need to dissect it again. :D

it needs periodic re-stating: if you're going to increase airflow through your router without some sort of filter, you also need to increase your cleaning/maintenance of the physical unit...
more air means more dust, and if you don't clean that the dust off things, the fan will simply be blowing more dust to pile up on the old stuff rather than cooling things down.
(this is one of the main arguments for leaving things passively cooled)
Actually I have a foam type dust filter placed in front of the fan. Probably a higher quality dust filter will do a better job. Even then regular preventive maintenance/clean up/filter change is highly recommended.

What do you think about this solution? The warranty is not lost, but it has a higher noise level. It only costs $ 15 on aliexpress

Attachments

• Cooling.jpg
    Cooling.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 217
What do you think about this solution? The warranty is not lost, but it has a higher noise level. It only costs $ 15 on aliexpress
should be ok i think..

I'm using car fan type with converter and my AX86U from 75-80C cool down to 51-56C with ambient temp 29C-32C.

DSC_07645-removebg-preview.png

For my Asus AC86U router I just purchased the 120mm Noctua NF-F12 5V PWM fan (https://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-5v-pwm). I didn't bother mounting it to the back of the router. I just placed it on a little self-made LEGO bridge/shelf (to sit above the ethernet wires coming in from the bottom with the fan blowing towards the back center of the router. The fan sits about 2 inches back.

My normal temperature of the CPU with almost no load at all was 86C-87C. With the fan placed as described it lowered the temperature about 30C down to 55C-56C. With this fan running 24/7, according to the manufacturer's MTTF rating of 150,000 hours the fan should last 17 years. Not sure how long the cheaper sleeve-bearing fans out there would last but I should be covered by spending a little bit more with this fan.

For my Asus AC86U router I just purchased the 120mm Noctua NF-F12 5V PWM fan (https://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-5v-pwm). I didn't bother mounting it to the back of the router. I just placed it on a little self-made LEGO bridge/shelf (to sit above the ethernet wires coming in from the bottom with the fan blowing towards the back center of the router. The fan sits about 2 inches back.

My normal temperature of the CPU with almost no load at all was 86C-87C. With the fan placed as described it lowered the temperature about 30C down to 55C-56C. With this fan running 24/7, according to the manufacturer's MTTF rating of 150,000 hours the fan should last 17 years. Not sure how long the cheaper sleeve-bearing fans out there would last but I should be covered by spending a little bit more with this fan.
You must've watched this video:
I like how he "scienced out" his best solution...

Start at a known 'location'. Test, make good notes, change one thing, repeat. Refer to notes (as needed) for best 'location'.

Note: replace 'location' with anything you're testing for. :)