What's new

RP-AC68U stuck in a boot loop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vexira

Part of the Furniture
I have a RP-AC68U, and it's stuck in, a recover mode or a loop of sorts, it won't respond to ping recovery tool doesn't work it flashes but the unit, keep blinking lights.
When it boots it preforms a rapid blink of both wifi LEDs the blinks slowly and at intervals will blink rapidly.
Wps button reset doesn't work, it seems not not respond to the reset button but I can preform a 30/30/30 reset flash the firmware with no luck.
Is there anyway to delete nv ram via serial or recover it at all, it's out of warranty so rma is out of the question, plus is there a guide on how to open it to get to a serial or jtag header? I've tried everything conceivable short of opening the unit and I'm desperately out of ideas and help would be welcome.

There are a couple of screws. One is behind the back label. There is no jtag support but there is serial support.
Have you set a static ip on your computer? 192.168.1.9, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.1. Then set a continuous ping: ping 192.168.1.1 -t.
Don't do 30/30/30. Turn the router off, hold the reset button in while turning it on. When the power led flashes, the ping response should be tll=100, try to upload the firmware using the firmware restoration tool.

Even if you don't get any ping responses try the firmware restoration tool anyway. I've had it work for me.

I did set a static ip, I've been at it for a few months now with the recovery tool it's not responding to it, it's a wifi extenders not a router the only lights are the 2 for wifi and the red led for the effect, how would I get to the serial header and what commands is it to clear nv ram may I ask.
The unit is not responding to the reset or wps button but they both click, the restoration tool gets to its like 10% then says finished but the light cycle continues, ping says destination un reachable.
I set the pc to 192.168.1. 2 or 192.168.1.7 during my attempt to get recovery tool working.

It's OK easy to confuse, asus an their naming convention.

I see it's not even a Broadcom unit. Not sure about serial unbricking a Realtek device.

When it's in recovery mode you can use it as a switch but can't access the gui

When it's in recovery mode you can use it as a switch but can't access the gui
Seems like you were having the same issue I was. The bottom plate has this little plastic bit on it that keeps the reset button pushed in, after removing the bottom, the reset button was no longer being pressed and I went into recovery mode, flashed the newest firmware and it rebooted just fine.

It works normally now.

Mine goes into recovery mode but it doesn't recover, my other one took at least 90 attempts to recover before it finally worked, this one has had over that and I still can't get it to display the gui and work properly.

I'm looking for a way to clear nvramnv since itiappears that wps does not clear the nv ram, andathe reset buttion not doing muchm

Last edited:
Seems like you were having the same issue I was. The bottom plate has this little plastic bit on it that keeps the reset button pushed in, after removing the bottom, the reset button was no longer being pressed and I went into recovery mode, flashed the newest firmware and it rebooted just fine.

It works normally now.
Took the bottom of the case off same issue, shorted the reset button no response, I have to do the 30/30/30 to get it to actually go into recovery mode it works as a switch in that mode but with no gui acess

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!