What's new

RP-AX56 whats your experience?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Anyone tried a RP_AX56 as a mesh node on an AX86U?

What was your experience?

Seems a simpler solution than buying a whole second router.

Anyone tried a RP_AX56 as a mesh node on an AX86U?

What was your experience?

Seems a simpler solution than buying a whole second router.

I'm using one as a mesh node behind a XT12 and it works just fine. Haven't tried wireless connection as I'm using Ethernet backhaul though.

I have a couple of RP-AX56 AP's that I've used, also in Eth Backhaul, work well, too. I noticed recently that the firmware DL for this AP has disappeared (this morning) from Asus' support page for it. I hope this means that there's an update pending and they're not dropping support. Fortunately I have a copy of it before it disappeared... RP-AX56_3.0.0.4_386_42860-gcedf3e6_cferom_pureubi.w

edit... Curious... the Asus US site does not show the firmware dl link. The link in OP goes to the UK site and shows the fw dl above, similar to what used to be on the US site.

edit 2... Asus US site now showing the fw dl...

Last edited:
If either of you are bored, would be interested in knowing what the performance is like without the eth backhaul.

Looking at the hardware specs @BreakingDad - best case scenario about 300Mbps to RP-AX56 connected AX devices. This is with excellent quality Wi-Fi connection to the main router. In real world the performance will be perhaps lower than that. I would expect about 150Mbps to AC clients.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!