What's new

RT-AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Huh? How are they a great example?

Well Linksys and netgear both released devices to replace their Quantenna versions.

Linksys finally released a firmware update for the E8350 after 10 months of nothing for its version and the latest firmware is only to prepare for the next update, it doesn't include any bug fixes (in the release notes at least).

Netgear hasnt released an update since July.

It's obvious there were changes in the Quantenna driver in the last couple months but neither of those manufacturers seem to be to worried about pushing fixes for their devices in a timely manner.

Asus has been at least pumping out fixes pretty steadily since they released the 87. So if I was going with a new device I would definitely feel more comfortable with a product from Asus versus the other two.

Asus has been at least pumping out fixes pretty steadily since they released the 87. So if I was going with a new device I would definitely feel more comfortable with a product from Asus versus the other two.
I follow your logic but don't agree with it at all.

The fact that a major manufacturer of technology products (not routers;ASUS' market share is minor there) relies on an unpaid volunteer to create and maintain firmware, the main focus of which is fixing bugs, is NOT a positive.

I follow your logic but don't agree with it at all.

The fact that a major manufacturer of technology products (not routers;ASUS' market share is minor there) relies on an unpaid volunteer to create and maintain firmware, the main focus of which is fixing bugs, is NOT a positive.

Understandable but that doesn't change the fact that they still provide better support for their router lineup then some other manufacturers do. I don't think their support would suddenly stop if Merlin decided he was done.

Mixed bag... Asus has benefited from contributions from dedicated volunteers - but at the same time, the open source has allowed this, and the community here at SNB has grown because of it. Many ASUS customers come here to SNB Forums first for issues, largely due to the group that has formed here.

It's one thing to tweak firmware/mash bugs - and this the independent community has done a great job at...

It's another to build up a firmware image from scratch - and with a certain model, pulling pieces from each and trying to build an integrated whole - in some ways, taking lemons and making lemonade..

Asus (and others) could do a better job, no doubt, but when we look at a particularly painful product for some - they've done alright, and their product roadmap for Q4-2015 and into 2016 suggests they've sorted themselves...

How would you say the AC-3100 compares to your AC-87R I'm thinking about exchanging mine at my local Best Buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it is better for my environment. All my devices connect fast. No drops. The wifi lan speed is good. Faster GUI. It is not getting hot. My kids android devices stay connected and the battery drain is gone. I am running RMerlin's firmware.

I think it is better for my environment. All my devices connect fast. No drops. The wifi lan speed is good. Faster GUI. It is not getting hot. My kids android devices stay connected and the battery drain is gone. I am running RMerlin's firmware.
So was there a compile for the AC-3100 from Merlin or did you use the AC-88U build?

He did one for both:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/alpha-builds-for-rt-ac88u-and-rt-ac3100.28024/
He said that asus just released the official firmware but I still do not see it on the asus site. Hopefully he will update his to this soon and I will see even more improvement. I like his so much better. He puts more tools/info in his.
I like his firmware so much better too. I may wait until a stable version is available though before I put it on mine and just run the stock firmware for a few weeks.

Have you noticed any difference in range or speed with the AC-3100 over the AC-87R?

Great so far. I have a two story house, 2,000 sq ft. The router is upstairs on one side of the house. I use the ios app called wifi sweetspots (not sure how accurate the app is) on my iPhone 6. Right next the the router I get 285 Mbps and downstairs on the other side of the house I got 140 Mbps. On my 87r I was getting around 260 Mbps next to the router and it would drop to about 20 Mbps on my first floor. It is switching from the different wifi bands faster.

Great so far. I have a two story house, 2,000 sq ft. The router is upstairs on one side of the house. I use the ios app called wifi sweetspots (not sure how accurate the app is) on my iPhone 6. Right next the the router I get 285 Mbps and downstairs on the other side of the house I got 140 Mbps. On my 87r I was getting around 260 Mbps next to the router and it would drop to about 20 Mbps on my first floor. It is switching from the different wifi bands faster.
That's great to hear. I can't wait to get one tomorrow morning and get it setup.

He said that asus just released the official firmware but I still do not see it on the asus site.

They haven't yet. The files I pulled and made available on Mediafire for rollbacks to stock were taken directly from the liveupdate server.

It is switching from the different wifi bands faster.

That was always one of the (minor) issues with Quantenna - wifi was taking longer to connect to the 5 GHz band than with Broadcom-based routers.

I also hooked up my linksys EA8500 last night as a wifi repeater and I do not think that is helping very much. I stopped using that because my it started giving me problems with my slingbox 500. I think I will turn that off tonight.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!