What's new

RT-AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anyone have any info on the game boost tech on this thing, just got it and it seems to be working great no issues at all. I would like to get more info on the game boost tech other then just reading what is on there web page, the manual says nothing about these new features?

Thanks in advance.

I've only had this thing since Friday, and I'm already considering taking it back. After some amount of uptime, it won't pass traffic faster than around 2mbit/sec. If I reboot it, it's fine after for 4-8 hours til it starts chugging along again. CPU utilization is low, RAM usage is low. I reset it to factory, upgraded the firmware to the current build (3.0.0.4.380_858) and tried toggling off wlan, qos, aiprotection, etc. Nothing seems to work. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

*EDIT* Oh, I suppose I should mention it affects both wired and wireless clients, and every speed test or file download, so it's not a matter of congestion.

Last edited:
I've only had this thing since Friday, and I'm already considering taking it back. After some amount of uptime, it won't pass traffic faster than around 2mbit/sec. If I reboot it, it's fine after for 4-8 hours til it starts chugging along again. CPU utilization is low, RAM usage is low. I reset it to factory, upgraded the firmware to the current build (3.0.0.4.380_858) and tried toggling off wlan, qos, aiprotection, etc. Nothing seems to work. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

*EDIT* Oh, I suppose I should mention it affects both wired and wireless clients, and every speed test or file download, so it's not a matter of congestion.
Sounds like there is definitely something wrong with the one you got. I consistently get 170-180 mbits over wifi and have gotten as fast as 232 when my connection was really peaking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

let say you usually connect to 5Ghz band. some day 5Ghz is lost and the router connects to 2.4Ghz instead. hours later 5Ghz is back up but your device still connected to 2.4Ghz. you have to manually select 5.Ghz to connect.

this happened to me many time. Smart Connect will take care of this scenario for user. it will connect your devices to the most optimized band (2.4 or 5Ghz)

So you would need the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 for this to work?

2.4 GHz: 43°C
5 GHz: 47°C
CPU: 72°C

Mine sits in a spot with plenty of ventilation, CPU temp has stayed about 72-73°C regularly.

Those numbers actually seem kind of high... I've always wondered about what Asus reports there...

I had to go back to the latest official Asus build for now. As Merlin's alpha2 build just a bit to buggy for me to run now. Applying wireless settings on the general tab is just broken currently. I tried everything from multiple browsers, to factory resets. Either way, I wasn't expecting Merlin to even have a build ready at this point. Anyways this isn't a complaint by any means, more of an update.

Can you explain what was buggy with Merlin's beta?

Those numbers actually seem kind of high... I've always wondered about what Asus reports there...

Those numbers are actually what i expected from a Asus router. I have owned them all at one time or another and with out active cooling that's on the low side. I have seen my 68U with both bands enabled run at 85 C in the summer months. There is no doubt they run hot but some say it's normal and nothing to worry about. I for one have no intentions on strapping a fan on or under my routers. One has to wonder though Asus must be aware these routers are running on the hot side but model after model nothing changes. Maybe it is ok who knows. o_O

Mine are pretty much the same. They did improve the radio temps at least coming from an 87R. Cpu is still a little high but I would think its probably in spec. I can't find much info on the BCM47094.

Merlin has stated in the past not to worry until it hits 90C that these chips can handle it. But i always wonder about parts near the CPU. I also want to add i have never had a Asus router fail from over heating yet..

Merlin has stated in the past not to worry until it hits 90C that these chips can handle it. But i always wonder about parts near the CPU. I also want to add i have never had a Asus router fail from over heating yet..

Neither have I. It doesn't bother me, I thought the new cpu might have been on a smaller manufacturing process but I am guessing its not. My 87 ran around the same temps and didnt have any issues so I am guessing this one is nothing to worry about either.

Neither have I. It doesn't bother me, I thought the new cpu might have been on a smaller manufacturing process but I am guessing its not. My 87 ran around the same temps and didnt have any issues so I am guessing this one is nothing to worry about either.

Don't forget that the new CPU also saw a clock increase of 400 MHz. That's probably where the thermal gains went.

Really wish that Broadcom (and the other Chip OE's) would move from Cortex-A9 to something a bit more modern...

The A9 is first gen out of order execution and SMP for ARM, and has horrible memory controller performance compared to the other ARMv7 arch peers (QCA/Apple/Marvell)

This will be my next router. Very soon probably in the next few days !!! Looking forward to Merlin's support. :)

Really wish that Broadcom (and the other Chip OE's) would move from Cortex-A9 to something a bit more modern...

The A9 is first gen out of order execution and SMP for ARM, and has horrible memory controller performance compared to the other ARMv7 arch peers (QCA/Apple/Marvell)

My guess is, it's partly about marketing, and partly about profit. Taking their aging A9 cores and just bumping its clock by 40% means that for their 2015 platform, they can sell a chip that's 40% faster for next to no investment in R&D $$$. Easy profit there.

This will be my next router. Very soon probably in the next few days !!! Looking forward to Merlin's support. :)

It's already supported.

My guess is, it's partly about marketing, and partly about profit. Taking their aging A9 cores and just bumping its clock by 40% means that for their 2015 platform, they can sell a chip that's 40% faster for next to no investment in R&D $$$. Easy profit there.

Yeah... anyways, this isn't an Asus issue, it's Broadcom as the chip OE...

Would be nice to see someone bring out an ARMv8 SoC based on Cortex-A57 for consumer Router/AP's - decent performance, much better memory controllers, cleaner instruction set in AArch64, and ARM provides the VLSI libs for 28/20/16nm nodes for TSMC already - and die shrinks are good from a cost perspective...

And with ARMv8A, we get much better AES/SHA1/SHA256 support which with the improved mem controller would make things nice for OpenVPN ;)

Don't forget that the new CPU also saw a clock increase of 400 MHz. That's probably where the thermal gains went.

Wonder if BRCM did the shrink from 45nm to 32 on this run... would explain the headroom with the faster clocks

Forgive my ignorance, but what does having an increased clock speed actually do for a router?

Forgive my ignorance, but what does having an increased clock speed actually do for a router?

With all of the Apps these days we run on routers, it's more headroom, less impact to routing performance and perhaps better filesharing/media serving...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!