What's new

RT-AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Excellent i think you will be happy with your 88U. :) You also could flash up to alpha 4 if you wanted to or just wait for the 380.57 final..

Excellent i think you will be happy with your 88U. :) You also could flash up to alpha 4 if you wanted to or just wait for the 380.57 final..

I hope so.. That damn 87u had me pissed off and the wife-unit screaming that the network was down or slow. I had to reboot so many times, I just reverted back to the R7000. Held my breath and made the leap to the 88u. Now I have to get back up to speed on all the settings. A bit overwhelming but pretty much 125mbs down and 25mbs up wireless over 5ghz on basic settings. Not too shabby.

Yeah i bought the 87U when it first came out and only used it for a week and it got returned for a full refund. I had nothing but problems and headaches with that router. :(

and... BAM! There it is! Everything seems to be working normal now.

Good news maybe just a glitch and likely from the ISP side not the router. :) IPv6 can be pita sometimes even after all this time it's been deployed. :eek:

I'd be interested to know if anyone with the rt-ac3100 is having any port fowarding issues? I just replaced an rt-ac87u with the 3100, like it much better, web interface gui is much more snappy. However, I can't get any port forwarding to work (RDP from external, etc). They worked fine on the 87u (and every other router I've ever owned) but this one doesn't. I've deleted the rule 3 different times and even changed it to different external ports (3389 internal). Before I reset it was just wondering if anyone else had ran into this or if it was known issue. Thanks in advance.

Can someone explain hooking up a Synology NAS to this router? I heard something about using 2 lan ports on the back, to enhance throughput to the NAS? How does this work? Can someone explain

Erm, take a decent ethernet cable and plug it in?

I read this on Cnets review:

You can aggregate the first two ports to deliver a superfast 2Gbps connection -- a bonus for those with a high-end NAS server

What does that mean then?

Supposedly LAN1 and LAN2 can be paired up for LAG..

Time to break out the friendly manual for both the RT-AC3100 and the NAS on how to configure that one..

I'd be interested to know if anyone with the rt-ac3100 is having any port fowarding issues?

I had issues getting port forwarding to work when I first got it. Might be a silly question but have you tried rebooting after saving the rule? I think I had to do this after adding new ports but I could be talking out of my butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had issues getting port forwarding to work when I first got it. Might be a silly question but have you tried rebooting after saving the rule? I think I had to do this after adding new ports but I could be talking out of my butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Talking out your butt or not...I'll try it. Thanks.

I read this on Cnets review:

You can aggregate the first two ports to deliver a superfast 2Gbps connection -- a bonus for those with a high-end NAS server

What does that mean then?

Its link aggregation, just enable it on the router and go on your nas's network settings and enable 802.3ad support. It might be called port trunking.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    114.1 KB · Views: 441
Hi,

I'm just upgrading my home network (kids need the bandwidth :)) to 100/10mbps cable connection (Teksavvy/Rogers Canada) and a new router. First I have ordered the Linksys EA6900 (AC1900) which was on sale (149 CAD ~107 USD), but after reading all the raving reviews I also ordered the RT-AC3100 (349 CAD ~250 USD).

Right now I have two routers (the RT-AC3100 is expected to arrive in 2 days) and I am well within the 2 weeks window to return one of them.

My girlfriend's ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH71 is the latest hardware in the house, it has built-in Intel Wireless-AC 7265 (up to 867 Mbps). I have 3 desktop PCs currently connected via LAN cables. I may consider changing them to wireless, but so far I could not find any desktop network adapter capable for anything beyond AC1900... I also have a Chromecast and several tablets / phones hanging on the network (those are not speed critical).

The purpose of the network is simple sharing the internet connection (gaming, netflix, etc..), I don't have internal file servers, etc...

I really would like to keep the RT-AC3100, if nothing else, because of the coolness factor, but I think (I might be wrong here) there is no real benefit of it without matching network adapters... and the linksys EA6900 costs less than half...

So which route should I go, EA6900 or RT-AC3100, any advice?

Thanks and BR,

Rudy

Last edited:
I can't find this router in the UK or Europe :(
They're selling the Asus RT-AC5300 in the UK for £400...

Any ideas?

kloxxe: What is your current router.
For your setup, AC1900 sounds just fine.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!