What's new

[RT-AC3200] Public Beta Firmware Release

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AntonK

Very Senior Member
Hi,

As us has released a public beta (3.0.0.4.382.51374 Beta Version) for the AC-3200:

ASUS RT-AC3200 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.51374
Security fixes
- Fixed CVE-2018-14710, CVE-2018-14711, CVE-2018-14712, CVE-2018-14713, CVE-2018-14714. Thanks for Rick Ramgattie's contribution.
- Fixed AiCloud/ Samba account vulnerability. Thanks for Matthew Cundari's contribution.
- Fixed DoS vulnerability. Thanks for Ruikai Liu's contribution.
- Fixed CVE-2018-17020, CVE-2018-17021, CVE-2018-17022.
- Fixed stored XSS vulnerability. Thanks for Duda Przemyslaw's contribution.
- Updated OpenSSL library.​

Anton

Hi All, if this is a beta why is router detecting it as a FULL Release and NOT saying it is a beta? I have attached screenshot where the Get beta firmware is NOT checked but still the router is saying I need to update firmware. If I do click the GET BETA FIRMWARE. I get message of NO BETA FIRMWARE Available. Does anyone have any ideas on why this maybe happening?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 566
Same here. I mean I didn’t check for beta. And it’s unchecked but mine showed new. So I looked it up and showed beta. Does seem like a bug. Luckily I always look up the firmware before updating. But people blind updating get whammied if not paying attention.

Same here. I mean I didn’t check for beta. And it’s unchecked but mine showed new. So I looked it up and showed beta. Does seem like a bug. Luckily I always look up the firmware before updating. But people blind updating get whammied if not paying attention.

Anyway to get ASUS to take action quickly?

Asus is removing the ability to obtain beta firmware through automated checks, so it's normal for this to always offer you the latest non-beta release.

still it doesnt explain why they are offering beta firmware in official final release channel.

And this one is marked in red as "Beta Version", version number starts with "3.0.0.4" and not "beta like 9.0.0.4"!

Version 3.0.0.4.382.51374 Beta Version
2019/01/1840.74 MBytesASUS RT-AC3200 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.51374
Security fixes
- Fixed CVE-2018-14710, CVE-2018-14711, CVE-2018-14712, CVE-2018-14713, CVE-2018-14714. Thanks for Rick Ramgattie's contribution.
- Fixed AiCloud/ Samba account vulnerability. Thanks for Matthew Cundari's

Last edited:
still it doesnt explain why they are offering beta firmware in official final release channel.

And this one is marked in red as "Beta Version", version number starts with "3.0.0.4"!

Version 3.0.0.4.382.51374 Beta Version
2019/01/1840.74 MBytesASUS RT-AC3200 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.51374
Security fixes
- Fixed AiCloud/ Samba account vulnerability. Thanks for Matthew Cundari's

Very true

I tweeted to Asus and twitter and I think the person running the Asus account doesnt understand the difference between beta and non-beta.

This is what they told me.

BETA versions are sometimes released to assist with current issues that are affecting devices. Should you experience any issues with the installation, you do have the option of restoring your previous firmware version using our restoration utility.
AsusHelpUS

@AsusHelpUS

·
5h

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we will be happy to help. This latest firmware Version 3.0.0.4.382.51374 is indeed a beta version, it is not a must for you to update to it however we do recommend that you do.

My MAJOR problem is why would they recommend your average consumer to install a beta version?

Beta if I remember correctly are unstable and not stable release.

Hope someone can help clear up this confusion

beta can be unstable or buggy, some beta even become final with no change if no problems are found by beta users.
Or they know it got some other small bug which is minor and better have a major problem solved. So not official but worth a try if it solves something for you.

It's only not well tested and if you have problems they may be solved with this firmware, otherwise better wait for new final version.
But unfortunately that all is true to final versions too where they introduce a lot of bugs when implementing a new "feature".

Problem I see is that it will be offered as official update in GUI and recommeded to update, thats not well done.

beta can be unstable or buggy, some beta even become final with no change if no problems are found by beta users.
Or they know it got some other small bug which is minor and better have a major problem solved. So not official but worth a try if it solves something for you.
It's only not well tested and if you have problems they may be solved with this, otherwise better wait for new final version.

Problem I see is that it will be offered as official update in GUI and recommeded to update, thats not well done.

If in beta no problems are found then would it not make sense to call it a final release or at least make it clear that it is a stable release. Personally I think Asus team caused nothing but confusion for your average consumer.

they should have named it 9.0.0.4, then its clear for everyone this is beta, but Chinese people have different sight to the world :p

My download master on 86U is ver. 9.1.0.104 since I got it over a 1,5 years ago (2017!!!), they never made an updated official version.

@RMerlin any more info @Grisu does make a good point though. I wonder if it is a bug or mistake.

I don't. I know however that in the past, there's been a few firmware that were labelled Beta yet released in the regular release channel. I suspect Beta means it just didn't go through the usual QA testing, but they probably felt it was important to push out due to the number of security fixes it contains.

A real beta typically has a version number of 9.0.x.x, and since Asus discontinued the Beta release channel, they probably felt the regular channel was the best way to go with this release. They probably cannot push 9.x builds to the release channel because it would prevent future updates from getting applied.

Hi there! I noticed few problems with this firmware version. First of all, ability to obtain Let's Encrypt SSL certificate has gone from DDNS page (if you use ASUS DDNS service). Also, there is a bug on DUAL WAN page (WAN -> DUAL WAN) - some fields are not shown correctly.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english. I hope that you will understand me. :)

I updated to this firmware and notice no difference in performance.; typically they have updated previous bugs and fixed just loopholes.

Hi,

I upgraded to this version. Network statistics only work for a few hours for me before they stop running. When looking via SSH, I see that /jffs/usericon/841b5e4d1120.ico has grown massively to about 98MB. I suspect once this happens it stops the stats from working. I've sent some notes to Asus, but no response yet. Anyone else seeing something similar? Also, once this point is reached, I cannot customise the device icons either.

The other thing I found was that when I tried to enable the AI Protection, the Allow and Cancel buttons were not active. I fixed it by accepting the EULA somewhere else if I remember correctly.

thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!