What's new

RT-AC3200 won't let me disable QoS in the GUI. Is there a line command?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AsusNJ

New Around Here
So for some reason I am unable to shut off QoS in the RT-AC3200 GUI. I click the slider to off but when I click APPLY button there is no action. Using Web Developer in Chrome I can see there is a javsacript error of some kind. Same thing in firefox so not browser or extension specific.

I just got 1GB internet and am only getting about 600MBps on the router but direct to cable modem I get the 1GBps. Posts online seem to say that disabling QOS might fix this and pump the speed up to full.

Is there any line command I can telnet/ssh in and use to just disable it manually? Have not done any tinkering inside routers before but am experienced linux admin. Not sure what the commands are on this router, variables, where things are, etc.

Any help much appreciated!

2019-06-28_19-26-48.jpg

You can try
Code:
nvram set qos_enable=0
nvram commit
service restart_qos
service restart_firewall
There may be some html-breaking character in your QoS settings that is causing problems even though it’s hidden (e.g. device name with special chars).

You can try
Code:
nvram set qos_enable=0
nvram commit
service restart_qos
service restart_firewall
There may be some html-breaking character in your QoS settings that is causing problems even though it’s hidden (e.g. device name with special chars).

Your instructions worked PERFECTLY!!! Thank you so much!!!!! :)

Also did a speedtest and for the first time broke above the 500-600mbps had been getting and now just hit 950 Mbps which was what I was getting when connected directly to the cable modem! So was definitely QOS throttling things as many had suggested.

Hope all the above info helps anyone encountering same issue(s).

Your instructions worked PERFECTLY!!! Thank you so much!!!!! :)

Also did a speedtest and for the first time broke above the 500-600mbps had been getting and now just hit 950 Mbps which was what I was getting when connected directly to the cable modem! So was definitely QOS throttling things as many had suggested.

Hope all the above info helps anyone encountering same issue(s).
How were able to input the commands he suggested? If you are able to provide some basic steps I'd appreciate it!! I'm having the same issue as you and this is a super annoying bug.

How were able to input the commands he suggested? If you are able to provide some basic steps I'd appreciate it!! I'm having the same issue as you and this is a super annoying bug.

Telnet into the router and issue those commands.
Or use ssh. I use putty when using ssh. You have to enable it under administration, then system.
Rmerlin doesn’t have telnet, I believe stock firmware does.
If it does , telnet will be easier for you. Under administration, system, eneble telnet, then telnet into the router and issue the above commands.

Telnet into the router and issue those commands.
Or use ssh. I use putty when using ssh. You have to enable it under administration, then system.
Rmerlin doesn’t have telnet, I believe stock firmware does.
If it does , telnet will be easier for you. Under administration, system, eneble telnet, then telnet into the router and issue the above commands.
Awesome!!! Putty was the missing link for what I needed to do and it worked like a charm. I really appreciate you getting back to me!!

Awesome!!! Putty was the missing link for what I needed to do and it worked like a charm. I really appreciate you getting back to me!!

Glad you got it fixed up. BTW for anyone else who has this issue I'm not sure exactly what is causing the bug but the fix outlined here does work if you need to disable the QOS if your speed is slow. Another member here also PM'd me that he did in fact do a full factory reset of his AC3200 and then applied the latest firmware and that also fixed the bug. I'm not sure why some of ours have this bug as I would have thought when he applied the latest firmware it would have duplicated it but instead it fixed it (again I was running latest firmware). So I think there was some other corrupted firmware or perhaps a setting between upgrades that wasn't playing nice and causing this.

But anyway it looks like there are two fixes for this bug. Hopefully Asus tracks it down and can fix it in a future release for those of us who experience it.

This is kind of a serious bug, for the ones not more experienced, I for example just followed a tutorial on how to use the "Telnet" to execute the code that the user "dave14305" showed, and it worked!
These kind of bugs make me like ASUS less by the day...
My router in question is an ASUS RT-N18U

You can try
Code:
nvram set qos_enable=0
nvram commit
service restart_qos
service restart_firewall

It seems to also fix the issue for a RT-AC56U running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.382_51641.
At least the web interface now reports QoS as OFF.
Thank you very much.

Thanks Dave for the code. Easy! Toughest part was using telnet to get into the router for the first time without the port 23 blocked error.

For anybody in the same boat, make sure you enable Telnet in the ASUS router settings under Administration>System toward bottom of page.

I also want to say thank you for this valuable information.
I originally could not enable telnet on my RT66u but it had to do with the Dayling savings time settings.
Thanks
Ken

Thank you for this, it was the only thing I found that worked. I wonder if Asus is aware of this issue?

EDIT: I'm reading that the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.384_81858-g80b1d3f) may resolve the QOS disable issue.

Last edited:
I must say I am surprised what an impact QoS has on internet speed. I have an Asus CT8 (dual router setup). Must say the performance of the Mesh is amazing. Fixed my wifi issues I had with my previous setup of a WRT32x router and wifi extenders.

But I also have Gig1 Virgin Internet. Now that actually gives me about 800-850Mbps on a good day but as soon as I enable QoS (and it had a similar impact on the WRT32x) my network speed dropped to around 300Mbps.

Your command line solution works (appearing to switch it off in the GUI and restarting doesn't). And I have the latest firmware.

I can live without QoS to be honest (my main issue before was the performance of Teams especially as there are more people in the household working from home) as the issue appears to be fixed. But also enabling website filtering/blocking also has a major impact on speed as well and i did want to block a web site.

So many thanks for your advice, it is appreciated, but come on Asus provide us with a solution. And surely the CT8 cannot be so under spec'd hardware wise to cause such a major impact. Saying that the processors looks pretty under utilised but the RAM quite full. Has anyone any thoughts on lowering the RAM usage?

Instead of telnet, a much simpler approach is to just use your web browser. Essentially there is a bug in the validation code that looks for a parameter that doesn't exist. Before hitting "apply" on QoS settings, open dev tools in your browser (ctrl+shift+j). Enter the command: document.form.qos_enable_orig = {value:"1"} and then hit enter. Now you should be able to hit apply like normal.

Instead of telnet, a much simpler approach is to just use your web browser. Essentially there is a bug in the validation code that looks for a parameter that doesn't exist. Before hitting "apply" on QoS settings, open dev tools in your browser (ctrl+shift+j). Enter the command: document.form.qos_enable_orig = {value:"1"} and then hit enter. Now you should be able to hit apply like normal.
I can confirm this browser command approach worked for me to disable QoS that was not turning off for my RT-AC56U. Got to see that "Please wait #% applying settings" progress as well. :)Thanks!

I had this problem on my GT-AC5300 when they first released the QoS with the advanced features a couple of years ago. I found that even though the QoS could not be turned off successfully via the web gui, I was able to turn it off successfully from the ASUS Router app on my iPhone. I have not turned it on since then to see if that issue has been fixed in newer firmware releases.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!