What's new

RT-AC5300 100% CPU both cores 384.8 release

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bakedbean

New Around Here
Hi,
I had been using 384.8 beta 2, with no problems Updated to the new release rebooted and cold boot still no change. Some times core 1 would be at 100% or Core 2, sometimes both.
I went back to beta 2 and no problems. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated .

I had similar situation happened before, and factory reset did not help for my case.
you can try simple factory reset first to see if it helps.
if not,
I will perform the power cycle + clear nvram via wps button

power off the router, hold wps button while power on
wait till the power led start blinking/flashing, then release the wps button
now wait for the router to proper booting on its own.

and you can reconfigure everything from there, dont load the old setup.

I did a full factory reset new setup. Everything working fine for 24 hours. But today core 2 is 100% . I'm going back to beta 2 till the next build.

I had similar situation happened before, and factory reset did not help for my case.
you can try simple factory reset first to see if it helps.
if not,
I will perform the power cycle + clear nvram via wps button

power off the router, hold wps button while power on
wait till the power led start blinking/flashing, then release the wps button
now wait for the router to proper booting on its own.

and you can reconfigure everything from there, dont load the old setup.

Ok so after checking different settings I have narrowed it down to WTFast under Game boost to be the problem with High cpu 384.8 r , everytime I would sign in and apply settings it would spike and stay high. Once I delete the rule list it would drop off . Not sure why this is causing 100% cpu
Went back to Beta 2 works fine with WTFast and no high cpu.

Ok so after checking different settings I have narrowed it down to WTFast under Game boost to be the problem with High cpu 384.8 r , everytime I would sign in and apply settings it would spike and stay high. Once I delete the rule list it would drop off . Not sure why this is causing 100% cpu
Went back to Beta 2 works fine with WTFast and no high cpu.
If i remember correctly, merlin did mention compatibility issue for WTFast n his code, so it should not be available.
Being closed source, nothing Merlin can do for his build.

it was a while back though, but maybe that's the reason why.

Anybody got an update on this? Almost a year later, I have the same issue with wtfast but this time RT-AC86U. I can recreate this problem with either the Merlin or stock firmware (3.0.0.4.384).

I have seriously emailed Asus and talked to their support team at least 8-10 times over the last 2 year about this very issue. All they tell me is it is a BETA product offering and they can't guarantee fixes or it works correctly. Their Server nodes within the Asus software haven't been updated in about 4 years. The nodes on their site are way newer than what is in the Asus software. It seems like it was a great idea and partnership 4-5 years ago between Asus and Wtfast, but NOTHING has literally been done on it to make it better, faster or improve this annoying 100% cpu usage bug. They advertise it and sell it like hot cakes in Africa, but it is the biggest POS I have seen in my life and I get no help from either end. I think it is a great bait and switch tactic. In my opinion, either Asus needs to put the heat on Wtfast to resolve and fix and update this piece of their product/selling point, or just get rid of it. The software and interface have not seen an update/fix in about 4-5 years when it was first likely rolled out. Again, Wtfast will tell you this too, it is a "work in progress" that has 0% attention from Both Asus and Wtfast. So pathetic and it could be so useful and helpful in so many ways. Here is the latest Wtfast node list, you will notice half the server nodes aren't even in Asus software and vice versa, so many in Asus that no longer even work with Wtfast.

https://wtfast.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000093391-Nodes

Not sure if force in numbers will get either one to budge, but I have been trying to bend ears, primarily Wtfast since it is closed ended software, but they just use the BETA excuse. Any other insight I would love to hear.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!