What's new

rt-ac56u: How to reduce transmit power

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pattox

Regular Contributor
The default transmit power of my rt-ac56u is very much higher than I really need.

It seems that in early versions of the Asus and Merlin firmware there was a wireless GUI setting "tx power" to change/reduce transmit power.

I've now loaded Merlin f/w AC56U_380.62_1.trx and I can't see any option to do this.

Is it possible to reduce transmit power and, if so, how?

Wireless => Professional => TX Power Adjustment

Wireless => Professional => TX Power Adjustment

Unfortunately that option doesn't exist in the GUI of my firmware version.
Clipboard01asus.jpg

Maybe RMerlin removed it from the FW, last time I've seen was there.

I believe any ability to adjust the power levels in US routers was removed in the latest ASUS code, therefore picked up by Merlin. There are other threads where this policy has been discussed.

Maybe RMerlin removed it from the FW, last time I've seen was there.

From what I understand the power adjustment option was removed by Asus from their firmware earlier this year to accord with US FCC laws. My rt-ac56U was purchased in the United States, but since I live in Australia this restriction to accord with US laws is a nuisance.

I tried to restore an earlier version of firmware use the rescue mode but even that no longer seems to allow a reflash of older firmware.

I now better understand why the tx power option is no longer present. But is there any other way of reducing tx power? Through scripts perhaps?

nvram set wl_txpower=1 (Slider)
nvram set wl0_txpower=1 (2.4GHZ)
nvram set wl1_txpower=1 (5GHZ)

nvram commit
reboot

Values: 1 to 100

nvram commit
reboot

Thank you. Very much appreciated. Your suggestion worked nicely. I set all values to 50 and that gave me the exact signal strength reduction I wanted.

nvram commit
reboot

I don't understand the need to remove the adjustment option from the GUI (based on FCC regulations) while it is still possible to change the TX-power through SSH, any ideas!?

Last edited:
I don't understand the need to remove the adjustment option from the GUI (based on FFC regulations) while it is still possible to change the TX-power through SSH, any ideas!?

Because it hides it from the majority who want "MORE POWAAAAH!".

Just like many things though, people with the time and knowledge can do most anything they want.

Because it hides it from the majority who want "MORE POWAAAAH!".

Just like many things though, people with the time and knowledge can do most anything they want.

When the GUI setting is 1-100% it is impossible for the majority of people to go more then 100% anyway, right? Only the people who want less power, like the OP, are hindered.

It gets a problem though when people want (and can) increase the power above that 100% through tinkering/hacking the code, which is supposedly blocked/shielded in new firmwares as demanded by the FCC. When it is still possible to change the power through SSH, there is no reason to remove that option from the GUI!?

Last edited:
When the GUI setting is 1-100% it is impossible for the majority of people to go more then 100% anyway, right? Only the people who want less power, like the OP, are hindered.

It gets a problem though when people want (and can) increase the power above that 100% through tinkering/hacking the code, which is supposedly blocked/shielded in new firmwares as demanded by the FCC. When it is still possible to change the power through SSH, there is no reason to remove that option from the GUI!?

It'd probably be better if you searched for some previous threads on this topic. Some of the most active threads have been on this exact topic (sort by views/replies).

Example: Asus locking down routers to comply with new FCC rules

Good luck. ;)

It'd probably be better if you searched for some previous threads on this topic. Some of the most active threads have been on this exact topic (sort by views/replies).

Example: Asus locking down routers to comply with new FCC rules

Good luck. ;)
I read many of those threads from before and as far as I remember there is no mention about why it is still possible to change the TX-power through SSH while it is removed from the GUI. Those threads are about the FCC ruling the removal of the power adjustment from firmwares and the latest FW changes and the backward compatibility of those firmwares..

Just compile it and do your own changes, maybe it's easier that way.