What's new

RT-AC56U - Should I use the latest Merlin 380 or 384?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

northbear

Occasional Visitor
I have an Asus RT-AC56U currently running Merlin 380.57 so as you can see I don't regularly update! :rolleyes: Has been working very well for the most part, but the router has locked up twice in the last 6 months needing a hard reset. So I thought I should probably update the firmware. My question is this:

For the Asus RT-AC56U should I update to the lastest 380 or 384 firmware (or something else) given my track for only updating every several years?

Stability is the primary concern. I don't use many features, none advanced.

Thanks!

I would suggest using John’s fork. Less Asus features = less attack surface, and it is using a known good+stable version of the wireless drivers.

I have a 56U and have been running the latest Merlin firmware, including 384, for quite some time with no issues.

I have a 56u and have been using 384 and now 385 versions without issues. Working good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kfp,
Hadn't really considered John’s fork, and don't know much about it.

Easy Limits and jtp10181,
Thanks for sharing your personal positive experiences with the 56u. As I have been happy with Merlin's versions so I think I will upgrade to the latest 384.5 version and see how I like it.

Thanks!

kfp,
Hadn't really considered John’s fork, and don't know much about it.

Easy Limits and jtp10181,
Thanks for sharing your personal positive experiences with the 56u. As I have been happy with Merlin's versions so I think I will upgrade to the latest 384.5 version and see how I like it.

Thanks!

Forgot to mention, since you are on an older build now you may have to update to something in between first if the update keeps failing. And do a factory reset after the update.

Forgot to mention, since you are on an older build now you may have to update to something in between first if the update keeps failing. And do a factory reset after the update.

Thanks for the heads up!

Upgrade this weekend went smoothly. Did a factory reset afterwords and everything looks to be working quite well. Thanks again!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!